E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
shock29

My Ride: '01 325i
Did my power steering pump just go? Or whole steering rack!!??

Had problems with my power steering over the summer. I would start the car, and it would make these horrible screeching noises, and lose power steering. This happened for about 30 seconds untill i turned the car off for a sec and let it sit. it happened twice, about a week apart. I did a power steering fluid flush, and got another another 6 months out of it, until tonight.

Turning a corner, and giving the car gas - I lost power steering fully. didn't hear any distinct noises. Popped the hood, a fair amount of smoke coming from under the engine. Power steering fluid reservoir was below the low mark. All of the belts (serpentine belt anyways) looked fine, wasn't sure exactly where the power steering belt is located to check it?

Smoke smelled like a mix of rubber kind of, and fluid of some sort.

Did my power steering pump just go? or is my whole steering rack $%#ed??

thanks guys!
shock29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
CBell330

My Ride: '01 330ci ZSP
I just replaced my PS pump today actually. when mine went i did not have any smoke of any kind. but if you have no assistance is steering....its shot.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
thdl23

My Ride: 325Ci
Sounds like the PS pump to me. If your PS fluid is a gray color then probably the pump. I just replaced the rack on mine. A test is to poke a couple holes in the boot and if any fluid comes out then its the rack. I hope its the just the pump, a rack is a $$ fix...
thdl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
donwhee

My Ride: 325xi
It could be the rack. I had this problem just occur last week Thursday. Got my rack remade and it cost about $650.00. if it's the pump, then it'll set you back $460.00. Best case scenerio...hose needing to be replaced.

Anyhow, hope your car gets fixed up.
donwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
thefrog1394

My Ride: e46- 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by donwhee View Post
It could be the rack. I had this problem just occur last week Thursday. Got my rack remade and it cost about $650.00. if it's the pump, then it'll set you back $460.00. Best case scenerio...hose needing to be replaced.

Anyhow, hope your car gets fixed up.
If you are DIY capable the rack isn't too hard of a job and you can buy a used one fairly cheaply. If you just want to get back on the road I'll sell you my slightly worn one for $50, but if you want great condition you can find low mileage racks for under $150 on these forums.

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
1999 323i - 210,000 miles and counting.
Rear Wheel Bearing Tool (SitTools B90) Rental, ~$60
thefrog1394 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
shock29

thanks for the replys guys. The car is going in on Monday for a new pump. Got a nice price on parts and labour from a real good indy shop, not worth the savings to DIY this time. I just hope that it is only the pump. the mech seems to be 99.999% sure it is.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
shock29

It was the power steering pump. replaced it. The pump was "technically" fine - it was the actual p/s shaft that broke right off!
Old 03-31-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
luckybro108

My Ride: 04 325Ci Conv
Post Power Steering Pump or Rack?

My power steering has failed, but I don't hear any kind of whining noise. I removed all fluid(very dirty) and drained at pump. Before adding ATF back, I started to see if pump would whine, but no noise. It is still unassisted steering. Im thinking the impellors are shot, but not sure how to test the pump without replacing. Any ideas?
luckybro108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
wankel08

My Ride: e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckybro108 View Post
My power steering has failed, but I don't hear any kind of whining noise. I removed all fluid(very dirty) and drained at pump. Before adding ATF back, I started to see if pump would whine, but no noise. It is still unassisted steering. Im thinking the impellors are shot, but not sure how to test the pump without replacing. Any ideas?
The shaft may have snapped. You can check by removing the belt and seeing if you can pull the pulley out of the pump while its still connected. That means the shaft has snapped.
wankel08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
luckybro108

My Ride: 04 325Ci Conv
Thanks!! It was definitely loose as you suspected. I'm going to try to replace with a reman soon before my shoulder needs replaced!LOL
luckybro108 is offline   Reply With Quote