E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #1
DE46VERT

My Ride: 330ci vert
Yesterday's little adenture

So yesterday morning on the way to work, as I was pulling out of my neighborhood and accelerating to join traffic......the car just died! I was able to coast off into a nearby church parking lot and tried restarting it a few times. It cranked fine and would turn over but would only idle rough for a few seconds before shutting down again as if it was running out of fuel. Even though my fuel pump is new, that was still my first thought until I noticed a strong gas smell coming from under the car. I stopped trying to start it and hopped out to see a puddle of gas under the car and gas streaming down from the back of the engine area. I had my intake manifold off last week, so it was pretty obvious at that point that there was something wrong with the fuel line connection to the fuel rail at the back of the intake manifold.
At that point I was late for work, so I found someone in the church to talk to and got permission to leave the car there until after work. I was just outside my neighborhood so it was a quick walk back to get my other car to get to work.
Anyway, after work I went back with some tools and pulled off the cabin filter assembly and engine covers to get access to the back of the manifold. Sure enough, that fuel line was loose. Ever since I put the manifold back on last week it's been haunting me that I didn't like how that fuel line felt going back on. I had checked it several times to be sure it was all the way on, but even though it felt secure I never got the solid "click" that I was looking for on the coupling. Well as soon as I touched it yesterday it went on with that "click" I hadn't gotten before. For whatever reason, even though the line was pushed all the way onto the end of the rail the plastic tabs obviously hadn't engaged properly to hold it in place so it had worked back off. The car started right up with no leaks once that fuel line was reconnected. I can't blame the car on this one, it's my fault for not getting that line on properly the first time. Alls well that ends well, but I feel very lucky that it happened close to home and that the car wasn't hot yet so nothing caught fire with the fuel leaking like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DE46VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
I bet the car's fuel pump is dead.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:22 AM   #3
DE46VERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
I bet the car's fuel pump is dead.
?? Sorry for the long post, I'm assuming you didn't read it all?
Old 09-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #4
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
doh!
Old 09-21-2016, 12:47 PM   #5
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Good way to burn a car down.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #6
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR zhp coupe
Yep. OP is lucky that gas didn't hit the exhaust.
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:03 PM   #7
05SMG

My Ride: E46 330ci ZSP
Although that was scary, your DIY skills saved a lot of money. Imagine... A tow, a diagnostic charge, labor, and who knows what else.
05SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:33 PM   #8
DE46VERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post
Yep. OP is lucky that gas didn't hit the exhaust.
Heck yeah, I feel very lucky! Best bit of luck was that I had just started driving so everything wasn't warmed up yet. 20 minutes down the road might have been a different story once that exhaust was at full temp!