E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Mizar

My Ride: 325it ESS TX-2
Secondary Air System Readiness Monitor Not Resetting - Need Help

After fixing numerous issues around lean codes (Peake E3, E4, etc.), I have been driving around for several weeks now with NO MIL/SES, NO DTCs (per my Peake tool), and still the stupid Secondary Air System and Catalytic Converter readiness monitors are not resetting. I have tried various drive cycle procedures that folks have posted here, and essentially the secondary air system should reset after idling for a few minutes after a cold start. No such luck here. Crap!

Is one of the two (cat and sec. air) being "ready" a prerequisite for the other to go to "ready"? I could imagine that the cat monitor does not reset unless the sec. air is "ready" (that's why I currently focus on the sec. air system), but I wonder if the reverse is true, too...

Any suggestions what the problem could be? I read many threads around fixing components of the secondary air system (like the pump, check valve, hoses, the relay, etc.), but it seems in those cases there always were diagnostic trouble codes present. I have none, and haven't had any in weeks and hundreds of miles! I am going to check out the system as per Bavarian Otto's instructions (see their newsletter on the subject - http://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/20...newsletter.pdf).

Also, I suspect that you can still have some minor mal-condition that prevents the system monitors to reset WITHOUT any trouble codes or the SES/MIL light being triggered. I just replaced the MAF, after I drove around for weeks without trouble codes, but slightly elevated long term fuel trim values. Once the MAF was replaced, the long term fuel trim values dropped from around +6% to +/- 1 % and the oxygen sensor system monitor reset to "ready" during the first drive.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Mizar

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
After you clear the codes it should take 50-100 miles for the monitors to be ready for an inspection.

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Mizar

I know. I am way past that.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:02 AM   #4
Mizar

Bump.

Anybody? I am still stuck. Just replaced all O2 sensors. No difference, the monitors still don't reset.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
yener

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via MSN to yener
anyone
yener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
dayvdi

My Ride: "01" 325i
Please Help

I'm having the same problem. The Sec Air System and HTD Catalyst is not resetting and The Check Engine Light isn't on. I change the Thermostat last weekend and everything is running perfect. I have to get a smog test but it won't pass because the Sec Air System and HTD Catalyst won't reset.
I been driving the car for over a week and it still won't reset.
Any info from would be a big help.
Thanks
dayvdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #7
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
did you try pouring some seafoam on your secondary pipe to clean out the air pathway? I had a similiar problem that is was what I did. secondary air pumps fresh/additional air to your cats to heat it up during cold starts.

also..what cause all of your E3 and E4 lean codes. having the same problem so I want to learn from you
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:05 AM   #8
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
What have you guys done with your SAP? Did you check the hose(s)?

Remove the hose and look inside the valve inlet...maybe you'll find what I did...that the hose from pump to valve corroded internally outwards and sent a ball of gunk into valve clogging it.

It sounds like you were doing something trying to fix an SAP code, but it also sounds like you didn't do anything with the SAP itself. I think it's bavauto that has a 'whitepaper' on diagnosing sap issues and maybe that will help you. I know there's more to it than just the hose...and I also know that the vac line is very delicate and seems to often crack, especially when having done other work on the car. There's another valve or pump or something on the other end of the vac line. It wraps around behind the engine, but I'm not really sure where it ends up. I think wherever it is is underneath the cabin air filter housing...but I'm not sure.

OH, btw, if you have the gunk like I did, I think the only thing seafoam will do is rinse it back further into the valve and then god only knows where it goes? It might clog the valve or plug the vac line...or beyond. My inlet to valve was plugged with a ball of hose rubber...literally the size of the ID of the hose from the pump. Evidently, it took some time to form this ball of gunk. For me, the stalling when starting prompted my inspection and I found a hole. If your hose is real squishy, then maybe you're getting a warning that your hose is about to have a hole?

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup

Last edited by dmax; 05-07-2011 at 04:10 AM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:20 AM   #9
new//M3fan

My Ride: 78' 924 87' E30
I took mine out and reflashed the DME. And passed OBDII emissions
Old 08-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
Mizar

Just for the record, here's how my situation got resolved: I finally threw up my arms and took the car to the dealer to get the readiness monitors to reset. Still, I had no CEL, absolutely no error codes, which the dealer confirmed. I told them up-front that the car is SC'ed with a reprogrammed computer, and they said that'd be no problem at all, and they should get this done within the day. Just had to wait for their "expert" drive cycle mechanic to be available. Long story short, they did not succeed and did not find out what's going on. They updated the ECU with the latest and greatest (I told them it's OK to wipe out the custom ESS software - I knew I'd have to get it redone by ESS), but still nothing. Then, they wanted to keep the car to get help from BMW Germany... So, for the next week I am cruising around in a 2010 528i loaner. Not bad, but I still prefer my E46. Finally, they call me to pick up the car as is, issue not resolved. Crap! Even the dealer cannot help me? Now what? At least they did not charge for the loaner. While being unable to fix the issue, the dealer insisted this should not have anything to do with the ESS SC software (which they assume should be wiped out after they updated the software). On the way home I notice the car drives perfectly fine. Did they not wipe out the ESS programming? Should it not drive like crap now and throw error codes? Whatever... Last resort: Mail in the ECU to ESS. ESS had told me earlier, their software should not at all interfere with the car's readiness monitors. If there is an issue, it must be fixed by BMW. No charge for the reprogramming, just paid for overnight return shipping. ECU is back, I am praying that they set the readiness monitors to ready, but no such luck. All five are "not ready". Sh!t... Back to square one! But then the miracle happened: After short drive cycle, 4 of 5 monitors are ready, next morning the last one is ready, too!! Yeeeeh-ha! Off to the emission test station, finally able to renew my registration!

Never figured out what was going on... But the good thing at the dealer was that they never gave me an attitude about the supercharger and did not charge me a dime, not for their diagnosis attempt, not for the loaner.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #11
new//M3fan

My Ride: 78' 924 87' E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizar View Post
Just for the record, here's how my situation got resolved: I finally threw up my arms and took the car to the dealer to get the readiness monitors to reset. Still, I had no CEL, absolutely no error codes, which the dealer confirmed. I told them up-front that the car is SC'ed with a reprogrammed computer, and they said that'd be no problem at all, and they should get this done within the day. Just had to wait for their "expert" drive cycle mechanic to be available. Long story short, they did not succeed and did not find out what's going on. They updated the ECU with the latest and greatest (I told them it's OK to wipe out the custom ESS software - I knew I'd have to get it redone by ESS), but still nothing. Then, they wanted to keep the car to get help from BMW Germany... So, for the next week I am cruising around in a 2010 528i loaner. Not bad, but I still prefer my E46. Finally, they call me to pick up the car as is, issue not resolved. Crap! Even the dealer cannot help me? Now what? At least they did not charge for the loaner. While being unable to fix the issue, the dealer insisted this should not have anything to do with the ESS SC software (which they assume should be wiped out after they updated the software). On the way home I notice the car drives perfectly fine. Did they not wipe out the ESS programming? Should it not drive like crap now and throw error codes? Whatever... Last resort: Mail in the ECU to ESS. ESS had told me earlier, their software should not at all interfere with the car's readiness monitors. If there is an issue, it must be fixed by BMW. No charge for the reprogramming, just paid for overnight return shipping. ECU is back, I am praying that they set the readiness monitors to ready, but no such luck. All five are "not ready". Sh!t... Back to square one! But then the miracle happened: After short drive cycle, 4 of 5 monitors are ready, next morning the last one is ready, too!! Yeeeeh-ha! Off to the emission test station, finally able to renew my registration!

Never figured out what was going on... But the good thing at the dealer was that they never gave me an attitude about the supercharger and did not charge me a dime, not for their diagnosis attempt, not for the loaner.
Does you SAP ever turn on during cold starts?

The SAP monitor sets itself after several successful cold starts.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #12
Mizar

Yes, the SAP does (and did) turn on as needed. I checked it all out at the time, and all was fine. In fact, once the ECU was back in, the the secondary air system readiness monitor was the first to change to ready.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #13
Mizar

Ah, I remember one more thing. The secondary air system monitor is supposedly the only monitor that the dealer can set to ready manually. They did, and found the car set it back to not ready after a few seconds. Dealer had never seen that happen before, they said.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #14
IndigoM3

My Ride: 2003 M3/Legacy GT
I had the same exact thing happen with my 2003 M3. After getting it inspected 7 times (failed all) an taking it to the dealership twice (luckily didn't get charged) here's what did the trick... It's all in the drive cycle. Apparently you have to drive at 40-60 mph for about 15 minutes. Important: 1) can't go past 3000 rpm. 2) can't accelerate quickly. 3) can't go past 60 mph.

Who drives an M3 like this!!!??
Anyways, after driving driving like a grandma for 15 minutes I thought great, everything is good to good... Go to the sticker shop- FAIL!!!

What the hell! So took it to the dealership again and explained my issue. They said that for the secondary air to reset the car has to have a cold start. Not just a "cold" start but apparently a "really cold" start. The temperature has been so hot here in Austin, tx that the car never cooled down enough. So the dealership kept the car overnight in their air conditioned shop with fans on it, sure enough, the next morning car starts up and secondary air reset!

What a relief, off to get it registered...
Old 08-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #15
IndigoM3

My Ride: 2003 M3/Legacy GT
Oh also, I gotta give credit to the BMW of Austin folks that helped out with this, I never paid anything more than the 30 bucks or so to get it inspected. They were professional and had enough experience to know what to do about the issue.
IndigoM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #16
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoM3 View Post
Oh also, I gotta give credit to the BMW of Austin folks that helped out with this, I never paid anything more than the 30 bucks or so to get it inspected. They were professional and had enough experience to know what to do about the issue.
yeah, I really like BMW of Austin. Great and friendly dealership. way better than Dallas
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #17
'02 ZSP

My Ride: '02 325ci
Same EXACT problem I'm having.

First I was having rich codes after my ESS TS1 was installed and the rev limit was at 6400 RPM no matter what ESS wanted me to believe or tell me. Sent it out to them they said everything was fine but we will retune it anyways lol. So I get it back and it has a 7K rev limit and no CEL or codes anymore. Think everything is great...

BUT...The sec air will NOT reset. I have over 200 miles now. This is really starting to piss me off with ESS, first they didn't tune it regardless of what they tell me and now my drive cycle monitor will NOT reset after I get my ECU back and from what it seems like they will not even touch it now so I'm seriously screwed.

I emailed them about it with no response yet...ESS seriously needs to work on there tunes a hell of a lot more. EVERYONE with any model car other then a 330 has issues with CEL's, running problems, etc and it's ALL related to a tune even though they say it's not related at all.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #18
carpevita

My Ride: 330 cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by newe46fan View Post
I took mine out and reflashed the DME. And passed OBDII emissions

What does it mean to REFLASH THE DME......

I recently replaced the vacuum hose from the Secondary air system, cleared the codes..They havent reappeared but I cant get the Secondary and O2 to show ready....
carpevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #19
Sport4r

My Ride: 328i
I'm also having the same or similar issue. Mine failed on secondary and o2 heater not ready. Tried the cold cycle multiple times and drove more than 300 miles and still not ready. Don't wanna bring it to the stealeship because they might charge me an arm and a leg for it. Do i need a special tool to update my program?
Thanx
Sport4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #20
E4tySick

My Ride: Xich Lo
Stop wasting ur time and money trying to find the causes. Just replace the damm check valve... All is good.
E4tySick is offline   Reply With Quote