E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
mpegripper

My Ride: M3
Send a message via AIM to mpegripper
My Angel Eye Review (Every Popular One Tested and Reviewed)

As most of you might know, I have recently gone through a lot of trouble with my angel eyes. For those of you that may not of read the previous thread, it can be found here:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=300143

Since then, I have obviously ditched the Umnitza Predator Chromiums and tried all three popular led angel eye options on my car. The purpose of this review is to discuss all four so people can make the most informed choice. The angel eyes I've had on my car are as follows:
1. Umnitza Predator Chromiums
2. EAS Auroras v1.1
3. Weisslicht/Orion Lite
4. Umnitza Orion v2

Lets start with the Predator Chromiums. These angel eyes were the pinnacle of angel eyes for many years, but have since been phased out by new led technology. They were great for their time, but as most forum members know, they have many issues (including, but not limited to: cold start, high failure rate and the possibility of starting a fire). I was one of the unfortunate few that had some of these issues and as everyone agrees, these angel eyes should not be used anymore as they pose safety issues. If you do insist on keeping them, please solder the connection from the ballast to the angel eyes.

After the whole debacle I had with the Predator Chromiums I decided to try out the EAS Aurora v1.1 angel eyes. I love how the rings and light output are a nice thin defined line. They are definitely the cleanest looking of the group. Fitment was on par with most highly rated angel eyes, the clips were as expected and the light output was pretty bright. The one negative I must note is that the solder points are not sealed and very exposed, I can definitely see this possibly becoming an issue down the line as the angel eyes go through more stress from the imperfections on the roads.

The Weisslicht and Orion Lite angel eyes are actually the same. Weisslicht claims the best fitment as they show you a slew of pictures of the angel eyes installed with the headlight housing off and at off angles when installed(extremely high or low from what I've seen). In these pictures the fitments looks awesome. But I must tell you, as soon as you fully reinstall the headlight shrouds and housing and look at it in person, these things fit horribly. Their light output is lower than the Aurora v1.1's, the clips weren't great and random parts of the rings are hidden behind the shroud. I definitely don't recommend these angel eyes at all. I personally know of a few Bay Area forum members that wanted to order these but decided against them once seeing them in person.

After trying the previous three angel eyes, I figured I might as well go ahead and give the Orion v2's a try. After all Umnitza is the biggest name in angel eyes. I installed these on my car and the light output is definitely the brightest out of the bunch. The rings fit well and the alligator clips are the strongest as well. Umnitza has posted videos online of them submerging the angel eyes and I have personally tried this and seen that they are waterproof. They also have the huge benefit of having multiple light colors for people who don't want the typical 6000k color. The only complaint I have about these is that they leds are spaced the furthest apart out of the bunch, but the reason for this is that they use SMT leds which help keep their output the highest for the longest operating time.

I think I have literally tried all the popular angel eyes out there and have provided honest feedback about all of them within my review. I hope this thread will serve as a good source for anyone trying to decide on which angel eyes will work the best for them.

Since the only two contenders in my opinion are the Umnitza Orion v2's and the EAS Aurora v1.1's, those are the only ones I took pics of.

EAS is on the left and Umnitza is on the right:

mpegripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
bimmerfan1990
Modded ///Member

My Ride: BMW ///M3
V2's FTW
bimmerfan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
33beto

My Ride: 08 328i Sedan(R.I.P)
Send a message via AIM to 33beto
toooo bright
33beto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:25 AM   #4
mpegripper

u can wire in a rheostat to either the orions's or the aurora's and still maintain your warranty
Old 03-31-2010, 12:26 AM   #5
BSR423

My Ride: has fool coverage!
POS clips!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
F that, I'll buy a gun instead.
BSR423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:35 AM   #6
nowerelsetoroam

My Ride: E46,740i
Send a message via MSN to nowerelsetoroam
i like the v1.1 alot

Swicthed from
a 323 to a 740
nowerelsetoroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:06 AM   #7
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Great review - very honest and unbiased. Thanks for your efforts.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:12 AM   #8
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Thanks for the review. Good to see you found the one that works for you.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
lllSupra

My Ride: E46 330i
the orion v2 dont look that blurry it looks clean cut in person
lllSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:55 AM   #10
daedalus34r

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
awesome write-up, well written and informative!
daedalus34r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:02 PM   #11
E46Moonlight

My Ride: 2000 323i
V2's FTW!!!
E46Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:27 PM   #12
mpegripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllSupra View Post
the orion v2 dont look that blurry it looks clean cut in person
agreed, in person the orion aren't as blurry
Old 03-31-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
Anyone try the AA's that Khaolty is selling for $65, how are they
Old 03-31-2010, 12:33 PM   #14
E46Moonlight

Here's some closer pics of the V2's

E46Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:09 PM   #15
ChasCan

My Ride: 2001 330xi
I personally have the Orion V2's. They are very bright and I know that I can wire in a rheostat, but I like them bright. They fit well and if you solder & heatshrink all the connections, they are golden IMHO. btw, can't quite figure out FTW. Fut the wuck?? Chas

Last edited by ChasCan; 03-31-2010 at 06:19 PM.
ChasCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:23 PM   #16
UmnitzaSupport
Sponsor

My Ride: 1995 m3
Awesome review

Call Tim K. 877 486 6489
Email Konstantin D. umnitzaship@gmail.com
Available: 9am-5pm M-F
UmnitzaSupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:49 PM   #17
mpegripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasCan View Post
I personally have the Orion V2's. They are very bright and I know that I can wire in a rheostat, but I like them bright. They fit well and if you solder & heatshrink all the connections, they are golden IMHO. btw, can't quite figure out FTW. Fut the wuck?? Chas
ftw=for the win
Old 03-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #18
ChasCan

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpegripper View Post
ftw=for the win
Thanks, Chas
ChasCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:21 PM   #19
GodsSon

My Ride: 325i
V2's All the way, I get compliments from strangers who say their bright even in bright sunlight and especially intimidating at night. I have my DRL's turned off and I did a corner delete mod to emphasize them. The picture was taken with my blackberry but in person there a lot more crisp and fine. I've had them for 2 years now through two winters and no problems at all.

GodsSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:38 PM   #20
Hartman

I have V2s and I'm starting to think they are too bright. They are so bright that it washes out the "defined" lines, especially at night. Also, people flash me at night because they think I have my high beams on. I'm looking into installing a rheostat....if you notice the OEM angle eyes are just bright enough to have a defined circle....not so bright that it washes everything out. The pics by the OP sort of illustrate that. I would prefer the look of the EAS AE's honestly.