E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
Tele

My Ride: E46 330XIT MTech II
Need input on adjustable H&R suspension for XI model ore the Bilstein B12 set

Hello people

As the title say, I need some advise/input on H&R adjustable suspension kits compared to Bilstein and Eibach setup on my 330 XI Touring.

I'm on my second rear set, in three years, of Bilstein shocks now. So my next set will not be Bilstein!
(And yes; I've installed them correctly)

I see H&R have a set called: HR-29-382-1 for the XI Touring model (00'-)
Can anyone fill me in on those?
How's the ride comfort, if any?
Ore just H&R shocks in general?

Last edited by Tele; 04-02-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Tele is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
MiniXP

My Ride: 08 335i & 01 325xi
What happened to your bilsteins? I have the sport shocks, is that what you had a problem with?

Sorry I'm no help towards your question
Old 03-31-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
rkhettry23

My Ride: Has2Turbos & X-Drive
I had H&R sport springs. It was too bouncy. Then I moved to H&R coils and they were so stiff it wasn't even funny. It was not my cup of tea and I swapped them back out for stock as soon as I could.

2002 325xi--Parted Out
rkhettry23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
Tele

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniXP View Post
What happened to your bilsteins? I have the sport shocks, is that what you had a problem with?

Sorry I'm no help towards your question
I had the Sprint (B8) first, then I bought the Sport (B6) and both of them has become bouncy and hard when driving on normal roads.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
small_m

My Ride: 2002 325xit
I am running koni sport with h&r sport spring. Quite a hard ride, never had any problem and looks great with my 18". Check my profile for some pics, i think i have some of it on there.
small_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Tele-

Good to see a european xi!! They are fairly rare in Europe, right? Probably more common in Norway than further south?

I believe the H&R coils actually use bilstein shocks. They are way too stiff for almost everyone who's tried them.

So what's wrong with your bilstein/eibach combo besides the fact that the rear shocks dont last? That gets the best reviews on here for lowered comfort on the xi. Bilsteins have a lifetime warranty- you should be getting free replacements.

That said- I do know of a few xi guys who blew out their rear bilsteins. It seems to have been a production issue with a batch of their shocks. I bet if you get a new set for the rear, they will last this time.

Did your xi come with the rough road package?
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #7
Tele

They are very rare in Norway, about 2-4 for sale a year at the biggest internet marketplace for cars here in Norway.
Mostly due to the price when it was new... The car prices are insane here in Norway!

Ok, to the topic at hand:
I was one of those guys that sad Bilstein/Eibach combo was the best, for the first year or so.
Then things started to go bad, the car got "bouncy" and hard, so I checked and saw that one of my rear springs was broken and the shocks where leaking oil.
So I got two new Eibach springs and two new Bilstein shocks (on warranty) and now 6 months later... the car is "bouncy" and hard again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
I believe the H&R coils actually use bilstein shocks. They are way too stiff for almost everyone who's tried them.
I had a "sniking" suspicion that that was the case whit H&R...! Dam
Well I see Bilstein has a set called B12 for the 330XI model whit shocks and springs, lowering 30/30mm.
Guess I'll try that one then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Did your xi come with the rough road package?
Isn't that just the 15mm thick spring pad for the back springs?
If it is, then yes I have the rough road pack.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
I have Koni/Eibach setup. Firm but not crazy hard ride. Modest drop. Recommended.
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
MiniXP

My Ride: 08 335i & 01 325xi
I had my bilsteins for about 2 years now and havn't had any problem. They're still stiff and not at all bouncy. Also I drive on a lot of pretty bad roads. Hopefully I'm not going to have a problem coming up.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
Tele

Well, my suspicion was right... one of the back-shocks is leaking oil, again!
6 months old shocks:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lekk 1.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	354637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lekk 2.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	354638  
Old 04-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #11
332xi

My Ride: too fast e46/330xi
+1 on h&r coils being waaaaaay too stiff... feels like a punch to the gut every time you go over a slight bump. potholes are even worse! i heard koni makes good package for us.
332xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #12
Mark M

My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
I have the H&R coilovers for about 15,000 miles now, one year. The package Turner promotes. Yes they are firm, but I would not say they are unbearable. I'd leave this morning for a 500 mile trip without concern. I've also done complete refresh with all new front control arms, ball joints, bushings, and rear trailing arm bushings.

In the case of this kit, the Bilstein dampers contribute to the ride harshness. For a while I had swapped over Koni SA rears from my e36 and it noticably calmed the harshness.

The crux of our cars is the need for suspension travel to maintain a comfortable ride. Unfortunately with an XI, when we lower it, we reduce travel, thus as was said in prior posts, the spring rates need to rise so as to prevent the car from hitting bumpstops regularly.

Last edited by Mark M; 10-19-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Mark M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:42 AM   #13
SharkmanBMW

My Ride: 03 330xi, 4th bimmer
Send a message via MSN to SharkmanBMW
I had H&R + Bilstein Sport installed January 2010, had a small clunk over certain bumps from the rear right corner. Cold weather made it worse, and roads here SUCK. I had it checked and found that same shock that clinked from day one is leaking. I should have the replacement tomorrow,but I am really bummed to read it has happened to others with this shock
I have had Bilstein Sport on 3 of my cars, never had any problems until now. Also been waiting 3 weeks for my warranty to arrive due to warehouse glitch (code for "someone fell asleep at the switch")
If this happens again, I will switch them for another brand, the roads here suck so something closer to OEM would be worth the investment.