E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #21
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
delmarco, bub rub, if you think that the plasti-dip is superior and are making fun of using duplicolor then LOL. And also looks cheap? What are you implying there? I'm only criticizing because you neglected to do any proper prep and slapped up a half assed diy just for the lulz. If the results were good then that's all that matters but it honestly looks horrible since you didn't completely remove the weak, decomposing oem coating. Now it's a matter of how long your oem coating is going to last because you just covered it up. When it flakes, so will the plasti-dip sitting on top. I never used duplicolor for my center console and shiet like that, I used it for my rocker panel thingys and footrest. I bought all new oem black pieces, and my project was for an interior dyeing, not using duplicolor

Don't pull the "I don't have time" excuse, come up with something better
EDIT: Deleted because Neil is a cool guy.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 04-02-2010 at 12:09 AM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #22
delmarco

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ:

Okay. I am a straight up guy and like to stand behind the work I recommend and be honest about my write ups so I followed up on some of the comments in my thread warning me about what was said and heard concerning the longevity of using plasti-dip and I did some anoraking online and found all the negative reviews of plasti-dip I could find.

1. Most of people using the dip that complained about longevity issues were using the aerosol spray on tool handles and notepads or using the dip as a sort of adhesive or waterproof sealant whereas the liquid dip in the big can would've been thicker and better.

2. Most of fanatics using the dip were using it on grills and bumper trim and found that the sun, and extreme weather literally disintegrated the dip coatings. Now I don't want to be captain obvious here but what were they thinking...would happen. Other fanatics were using it on cup holders or armrest console trim where the trim gets constant daily wear-tear abuse, like being rubbed on, coffee spilled on, feet kicking on, etc... again what were they thinking.

3. The other 2% of people that didn't recommend the dip admitted that they went into applying the dip expecting lifetime quality results and/or something of mythical Godly standards. and the dip didn't live up to "their" expectations for whatever they were trying to do.

Like I said for $6 a can and console trim that I hardly touch on a daily basis (so the dip coating in not under constant duress) and can be easily pulled out, cleaned off, re-sprayed and/or replaced if this project fails, my expectations for right now has been met and I will still be happy if it all goes to sh!t after 3 months.

That said, Neil is correct and I should have spent (and also should have addressed in my write up) that proper time needs to be spent to prep the surface. Removing the old and worn rubber trim completely would be best in preserving the lifetime of the plasti-dip coating or whatever spray coating you use to refinish your trim.

This addition to the DIY will add lots of time but also ensure that the end results are indeed end results and not a 1st draft in a endless string of drafts.

That said I have no regrets with how I did this in my car and I'm ready to accept failure or whatever follows in the months to come.

After all I wasn't expecting a new BMW in a $6 can of Plasti-Dip!

Last edited by delmarco; 04-01-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #23
burnhamd

My Ride: 325i 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
IMPORTANT PLEASE READ:

Okay. I am a straight up guy and like to stand behind the work I recommend and be honest about my write ups so I followed up on some of the comments in my thread warning me about what was said and heard concerning the longevity of using plasti-dip and I did some anoraking online and found all the negative reviews of plasti-dip I could find.

1. Most of people using the dip that complained about longevity issues were using the aerosol spray on tool handles and notepads or using the dip as a sort of adhesive or waterproof sealant whereas the liquid dip in the big can would've been thicker and better.

2. Most of fanatics using the dip were using it on grills and bumper trim and found that the sun, and extreme weather literally disintegrated the dip coatings. Now I don't want to be captain obvious here but what were they thinking...would happen. Other fanatics were using it on cup holders or armrest console trim where the trim gets constant daily wear-tear abuse, like being rubbed on, coffee spilled on, feet kicking on, etc... again what were they thinking.

3. The other 2% of people that didn't recommend the dip admitted that they went into applying the dip expecting lifetime quality results and/or something of mythical Godly standards. and the dip didn't live up to "their" expectations for whatever they were trying to do.

Like I said for $6 a can and console trim that I hardly touch on a daily basis (so the dip coating in not under constant duress) and can be easily pulled out, cleaned off, re-sprayed and/or replaced if this project fails, my expectations for right now has been met and I will still be happy if it all goes to sh!t after 3 months.

That said, Neil is correct and I should have spent (and also should have addressed in my write up) that proper time needs to be spent to prep the surface. Removing the old and worn rubber trim completely would be best in preserving the lifetime of the plasti-dip coating or whatever spray coating you use to refinish your trim.

This addition to the DIY will add lots of time but also ensure that the end results are indeed end results and not a 1st draft in a endless string of drafts/

That said I have no regrets with how I did this in my car and I'm ready to accept failure or whatever follows in the months to come.

After all I wasn't expecting a new BMW in a $6 can of Plasti-Dip!
No need to defend yourself bro. You just put your opinion and experience on here for everyone to see, and learn how to try for themselves. Kudos. If these other guys don't like it then they don't have to try it. Its not like you guaranteed them anything.

I do have one request. Would you mind checking back in a few weeks and letting us (the people who would like to see this actually work well) know how it wears.

Thanks again man for the diy's.
burnhamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #24
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhamd View Post

I do have one request. Would you mind checking back in a few weeks and letting us (the people who would like to see this actually work well) know how it wears.
Will do.

Like Robert DiNero says at the end of Heat "I always come back".

Old 04-01-2010, 11:45 PM   #25
neil1138

Quote:
Now why did you tell me earlier today to use Duplicolor because you thought it was "superior" to what I used and now tonight you state you "never used duplicolor for [your] center console and shiet like that"
Now you are directing people to your thread for better methods to plasti-dipping trim when you state to me that you just "bought all new oem black pieces" and didn't paint anything.

WTF is that about? Is everyone supposed to go out and buy trim and spend all summer long cinnamon-ing their interior?
Thanks for the pm delmarco, I have three things to say:

Firstly, are there not enough explanations and pictures in my thread for you to see what I used duplicolor on and what I didn't? It's clear from the first few pages, when I decided to change to black/cinnamon I bought new black center console pieces, I never painted mine. That has nothing to do with the argument. I'm merely stating that your attempt to make a diy on this subject matter was lackluster because you didn't do as good of a job as you could have and you are encouraging members to carry this out half assedly from the kind of work you showed. Normally your DIYs are amazing but I'm just disappointed in this one.

Secondly, I never said I didn't paint anything. I clearly stated in this thread that I painted my door trim moldings and my footrests. Along with every other headliner and plastic piece you see in my thread. I know you've gone though it, I have hundreds of pictures, you can clearly see me painting stuff with the duplicolor. My thread has nothing to do with this diy, someone wanted a better option than plasti-dip so I linked it to him. Dunno where your comment came from, I honestly don't.

Thirdly, what does cinnamon have anything to do with this? I'm just saying that your process/procedure and how you are advocating that people carry out this diy is completely misleading. If you don't want your trim to look just as bad in a couple of months, you should have done proper prep. I wouldn't care if this was just a regular thread but in a diy from you I expect better. You have to expect people to be honest, I wasn't going to come in here and say you did a wonderful job because unfortunately that's not the case.

I still love you, just have to speak my mind
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #26
jbugg328

My Ride: BMW 328ci
what to do
what to use
what to do
lol

Instagram : JrVincent7
jbugg328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:15 AM   #27
HuskyDude

My Ride: 2005 e46
if i needed my console to look better, i'd do what delmarco did. if all it takes is $6 and a few hours, hell i'd do it.
HuskyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:35 AM   #28
NaZty NaZe One!

My Ride: 02' 330ci "Ebony"
Send a message via AIM to NaZty NaZe One!
same here. delmarco, you da man
Old 04-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #29
3 two 3

My Ride: BMW 323i Executive
Send a message via MSN to 3 two 3
looks awesome. but what i really want to know is where you got the shifter from? it looks great!!
3 two 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #30
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 two 3 View Post
looks awesome. but what i really want to know is where you got the shifter from? it looks great!!
thanks.

The dealerships sells them for about $190 to $219 depending on which dealership you go to. Tischer may have them for even cheaper. Look up my Thread about the Retrofit in the general section

Old 04-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #31
nahramp330

My Ride: 01 330ci
I thank you for the DIY. Not only did I learn how to get the console out, but I learned how to clean it up a bit. I'll be doing this myself as well. What prep work do you other guys think should have been done? Sand the oem stuff down...but what else?

again, thank you

trini?
nahramp330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #32
Hartman

My Ride: 2000 323i
Spray on truck bed coating may be a more durable option, although it may have a bit too much texture. I have used it before in the wheel wells of my old truck.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #33
sim.sima

My Ride: 04' 330ci ZHP
Amazing work man.

20" Chrome Rims, Front Black Kidney Grill, Shark fin, 20% tint all around, HID fogs
sim.sima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:03 AM   #34
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Hmm..not sure I like the DIY much, sorry. Ok for a quick fix/cover up if it's all trashed, but the rough edges around the shifter plate indicators doesn't look good. Also, I'm not sure how well the finish matches the OEM trim finish. But for $6 if those parts are already trashed, it's not a bad way to do just before selling it or until getting around to getting new parts.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #35
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
Hmm..but the rough edges around the shifter plate indicators doesn't look good. .
Oh yeah I fixed the shifter plate. The same thing was bothering me too.

What had happened was I put too many coats on the thing. I peeled off all the original plasti-dip, sanded the plate better and re-coated it with only one coat and it looks fab now!

Last edited by delmarco; 04-07-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #36
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
^ Yes, that look WAY better. Great job on the re-do.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #37
Brilliant

My Ride: E46M3 Blk/Blk
Nice work. I was thinking about replacing mine, maybe a can of paint will do instead.

I recently rattle canned my rear parcel tray. I was skeptical what could be done with a can of paint, turned out amazing though.
Brilliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #38
TallTravel

My Ride: E46/2
Quote:
sounds good especially if they have a tan color for my cup holder console.

Neil where to get that? I saw a bunch of Duplicolor cans at Autozone but they were all just regular spray paint. Is that just spray paint or another form of the rubber-type coating?
I checked Home Depot the other day, and they stock only the black--which suits me fine, but I don't know if you'll be able to get another color. You might check their web site, but they make this product primarily to plastic coat tools, so I don't think they will be the right place to go for other colors.
TallTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #39
TallTravel

My Ride: E46/2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliant View Post
Nice work. I was thinking about replacing mine, maybe a can of paint will do instead.

I recently rattle canned my rear parcel tray. I was skeptical what could be done with a can of paint, turned out amazing though.
It is not paint, it is plastic coating. I found it at Home Depot in the paint section, designed for coating tools with plastic.
TallTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #40
TheRusski

My Ride: gone...
Great job! I wonder is just regular flat black paint would last longer? and not scratch so easy