E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #81
omni01_k

My Ride: 2014 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
Doing this on Saturday.
good luck. just have patience and you'll be good.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #82
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni01_k View Post
good luck. just have patience and you'll be good.
Thanks. I'll post pics.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #83
Jnyce718

My Ride: M3
hmmm i like, but my center console is grey... would it work on that?
Old 06-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #84
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
^^ ya i'm thinking of doing my center console too.... I just hope it would flow with the rest of the grey interior...
Old 06-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #85
Elsamo

My Ride: 2004 325 Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
^^ ya i'm thinking of doing my center console too.... I just hope it would flow with the rest of the grey interior...
Did on my grey center console and still have the coating on my grey euro tray - flows just fine.
Elsamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #86
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
^^Awesome and you also still have grey bottom part of dash? Any pics? I got black ebrake and shift boots already, so that will match.

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 06-21-2012 at 03:14 PM.
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #87
lukas87

My Ride: 320d M47 136KM sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnyce718 View Post
hmmm i like, but my center console is grey... would it work on that?
...i saw the pro-kit from PLASTI DIP to mix colours with colourless fluid. There are the basic colours paints that You can mix...in Your case white with just a little bit black paint, so You will make a grey paint.
lukas87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #88
Beau B

My Ride: 2003 ZHP Sedan
Great write up, thank you.. I plan on doing this tomorrow. For $6 it will be better than what I have now.

Beau
Beau B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #89
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau B View Post
Great write up, thank you.. I plan on doing this tomorrow. For $6 it will be better than what I have now.

Beau
Good Luck Beau! $6 and you can't go wrong!

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #90
Infinitysquared

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330ci
I've been planning on doing this. Trouble is, my local home depot, autozone, and target do far haven't had it or even heard of it. I'm checking sears today but think I'll have to just order it off the Internet.
Infinitysquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #91
EReyes.

My Ride: 03 325i
Thanks I just recently came into owning my first car and first BMW
EReyes. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #92
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Awesome DIY. Will do this after school term.
My car interior was scratched badly by a dog. Woof woof
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #93
Vinnybimmer

My Ride: BMW e46 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
Looks great - I'm concerned about the longevity here - u think it will start to flake apart?
Yep, as far as i know i was the first one to respond to a DIY on refurbishing the interior trim I did mine about 8 months ago, and its all starting to peel again.
Vinnybimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #94
Infinitysquared

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnybimmer View Post
Yep, as far as i know i was the first one to respond to a DIY on refurbishing the interior trim I did mine about 8 months ago, and its all starting to peel again.
Wait did you paint it or plastidip it?
Infinitysquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #95
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
I think I've found a solution to all our problems. How to make that plasti dip rubber look a little more permanent. Im currently doing this myself and am taking pictures. Will post when completed. If you google plasti dip how to harden, you eventually come across a page about dudes and theyre custom choppers. We all know plasti dip is soft and peels easy. Well this guy painted (I'm sure he primered first but he didn't mention it) the color he wanted, applied the CLEAR plasti dip (this then opens op doors for a much wider range of color choice), allowed it to dry for 24 hours, then sprayed krylon matte clear. Supposedly, he said when attempting to peel off plasti dip, it wouldnt budge. He wasn't sure but felt the clear reacted with the plasti dip and hardened it, stating not to attempt this unless you didn't mind this being permanent. I wish i found this first. I will try and buy some krylon spray tomorrow. At the moment, I've already sanded down old bmw rubber center console, the large single piece up front between front seats.
I tried getting off as much as i could sanding with this sander i bought from harbor freight for $25 and by hand. I was a little impatient so i missed a little. (I defintitely shouldnt have but) i then sprayed clear plasti dip over) even after drying overnight but they were still a lityle too soffor me.Then i primered with 3 coats and just finished wet thrn dry sanding it. Tomorrow i will re sand what i missed and get it as smooth as possible. Then spray it black. Wait for the paint to dry. Once that happens spray clear plasti and krylon matte clear
NumbaOneNewb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #96
WFRFitness

My Ride: 2000 328CI E46
Doing this! Including the center council can't wait to make my interior look a little better! I will be trying to strip the old off though.. hopefully it will last another 10+ years.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
WFRFitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #97
NumbaOneNewb

So yeah. I tried the clear coat trick. It definitely did the trick. Feels permanent alright. It still has that plasti dip rubber feeling but at the same time feels like a hardened version. I tried it on my sun glass compartment. I primered them painted it aluminum to match my trim. Then clear plasti dip. Allowed to dry for 24 hours and then clear coat. Its tougher alright. I just dont know if i want to purposely scratch it to find out. All i can say is you cant rub it off like before. It also seems to remove all this aluminum paint I'd have to sand it all down for sure.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #98
NumbaOneNewb

One more thing. I did put tape on to my sun glass compartment to test durability. I know that if you usually put tape on plasti dip then wait a bit before pulling it off it usually takes plasti dip with it. It didn't happen.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #99
manzrik

My Ride: e46 320d
thankyou Delmarco for this interesting thread!

this is my console...

Old 09-01-2012, 03:53 AM   #100
NumbaOneNewb

Hey for some reason every time i do this the trims always has like strands of plasti dip like threads after it drys. What am i not doing right? Its not smooth.

Edit: Nevermind. I guess i found that i needed to lay on heavier coats and spraga bit closer.

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 09-01-2012 at 04:17 AM.