E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: What Semi Slicks have the best value?
Toyo Proxes R888 8 47.06%
Yokohama Advan R048 7 41.18%
Kumho Ecsta MX KU15 0 0%
Federal 595RS-R 1 5.88%
other (please specify) 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

Road Legal Semi slicks.... which to choose?

So if I would want to get a set of 246/40/R17's, which would be have the best bang for the buck?

Toyo Proxes R888

Yokohama Advan A048

Kumho Ecsta MX KU15

(Not really semis, but also in the same "race spec" category)

Federal 595RS-R

Or are there any other that are recommendable?
|

dun dun duuuunnnn

Last edited by Rayce185; 10-28-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
If you're considering the MX, also consider the NT05 from nitto, and the Z1 Star Spec from Dunlop. Out of those pictured, I'd go for the advans, and then the R888s.

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
NT05 is not a semi slick from what i know, the Dunlop is for sure not a semi slick. The NT01 IS a semi slick. There are a few out there. Micheline pilot sport cup is good but damn expensive.

The Proxes888 may be good. The yokos i know are expensive also.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Yokohama Advan A048
+++1

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2Bimmer View Post
NT05 is not a semi slick from what i know, the Dunlop is for sure not a semi slick. The NT01 IS a semi slick. There are a few out there. Micheline pilot sport cup is good but damn expensive.

Yeah I know the nitto and dunlop aren't semi's, but he mentioned that he was considering the Kumho MX, which is also not a semi and is also not as good of a tire in comparison to the NT05 or starspec IMO.

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
mestupmonkydude

My Ride: 328i
Quote:

Are those the tires that the csl used? The ones where quote jeremy clarkson said"you have to sign a waiver saying you under stand that they dont work in the wet or if its a bit chilly out."
mestupmonkydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
n2Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestupmonkydude View Post
Are those the tires that the csl used? The ones where quote jeremy clarkson said"you have to sign a waiver saying you under stand that they dont work in the wet or if its a bit chilly out."

I believe so yes.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
n2Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ3 View Post
Yeah I know the nitto and dunlop aren't semi's, but he mentioned that he was considering the Kumho MX, which is also not a semi and is also not as good of a tire in comparison to the NT05 or starspec IMO.

Your right.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
A lot of those tires dont even fall into the same categorie performance or dollar wise... What do you plan on doing with the car? First time tracking it?

If this is your first time, I suggest getting a DOT Street tire. Something like a Dunlop Z1 SS, Bridgestone RE11, Toyo R1R, Yoko AD08, Hankook RS3 are all great tires to start the learning process. Once you have narrowed down that learning curve, then R-Comps should be your next step.

R-Comps generally hide your driving capabilities and shouldn't be used to start out with.

-Charles@VMRWheels

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form

Last edited by VMRWheels; 10-28-2009 at 06:10 PM.
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:16 AM   #10
Rayce185

It's not my first time tracking. I have around 10 laps around the Nordschleife already, but with my 19" CH's and Vredesteins. I was looking see what would be a better track setup if I do chose to get smaller and lighter wheels. Cost is just as much of an important factor as traction in this case.
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Old 10-29-2009, 02:56 AM   #11
VMRWheels
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayce185 View Post
It's not my first time tracking. I have around 10 laps around the Nordschleife already, but with my 19" CH's and Vredesteins. I was looking see what would be a better track setup if I do chose to get smaller and lighter wheels. Cost is just as much of an important factor as traction in this case.
I would suggest looking into all the street tires iv listed above. They will offer a larger curve in your grip/stability then those Vredesteins you are running. The tires above are all the top of the line street tires on the market for track use.

Iv personally driven on track with Dunlop Z1 SS, Bridgestone RE01R (older RE11), Toyo R1R, Yoko AD07 (older AD08), Hankook RS2 (older RS3) and would recommend each and every one of them. I hope all these recommendations can help aid you in your purchase. Be safe and have fun!

-Charles@VMRWheels

Last edited by VMRWheels; 10-29-2009 at 02:59 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:03 AM   #12
mkodama

Quote:
still a noob. Only worth noting if it's a triple digit number.

Staying on the better priced, extreme sport summer tires would be my advice. Lower tire costs, usually better hydroplaning resistance, and they probably offer more grip than your current spring rates can handle.

If money is an issue, semi-slicks or slicks don't make much sense.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #13
n2Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
I would suggest looking into all the street tires iv listed above. They will offer a larger curve in your grip/stability then those Vredesteins you are running. The tires above are all the top of the line street tires on the market for track use.

Iv personally driven on track with Dunlop Z1 SS, Bridgestone RE01R (older RE11), Toyo R1R, Yoko AD07 (older AD08), Hankook RS2 (older RS3) and would recommend each and every one of them. I hope all these recommendations can help aid you in your purchase. Be safe and have fun!

-Charles@VMRWheels

So which do you like best?
Old 10-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #14
Rayce185

Quote:

-Charles@VMRWheels
Thanks, the widest available over here are the Toyo R1R and the Hankook RS2, with the Hankooks having the best pricing. are these recommendable, and do they offer much more grip compared to the Vredesteins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
still a noob. Only worth noting if it's a triple digit number.
Considering it's length, that's almost 60 laps around Laguna Seca
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Old 10-29-2009, 11:23 AM   #15
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor

My Ride: shaken, not stirred
Send a message via AIM to bluejeansonfire
I say:
get
dunlop z1 starspec
or
Nitto NT05
or
Hankook RS3
... in that order

... I'm not sure what tire prices are like in Germany, but if they correspond to here, those are some of the best deals in max performance street tires... these are the only tires I would consider to daily

I currently have Bridgestone RE01R only because tire rack had them for cheaper than the above listed tires when they introduced the RE11
brand names like bridgestone provide a cerain level of comfort and good wear when it comes to scalloping and thread separation that sometimes lower end, cheaper tires don't, but for the performance, the bridgestones are absolutely not worth it.
The tires you listed, with the exception of the Kumho MX are made for racing classes that require street legal tires. They're not practical, they last a very short period. The MX is different, it's an old design that is really not bad, but it is outdated and outdone by the tires I listed, it is also a bit cheaper, but not enough to make them a much better value, unless in Germany you find them for some ridiculous price where there's a big gap between them and my above list.
Kumho replaced the MX with the XS, which though good, it is also not better or notably cheaper than the tires I listed, though it is more grippy according to magazine tests than the older MX. I've had the MX before, I've driven briefly on the XS, I do think the XS is better too... but I would choose RS3, Z1 or NT05 first.
My choices are based on my own experiences, discussions with other drivers and magazine or tire rack tests
I wrote a blog entry in may, on high performance street tires, if it helps you: e46nonm tire entry... my perspective has changed just slightly since then as i have gotten to drive a few more of these, but it might give you some insight

Old 10-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #16
TiAg2247

My Ride: E39 M5 | E55 AMG
Quote:
R-Comps generally hide your driving capabilities and shouldn't be used to start out with.
+1.

Imola Red M5 | Imola Red Interior
GT Exhaust, Custom BC Coilovers, 19x10 + 19x11 Rial Dayonta Race, Michelin PSS

Daily: 335i M-Sport Alpine White / Coral Red
Cobb STG1+, FMIC, H&R Sport, BMW Perf Style 313

Past:
'04 E55 AMG
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
TiAg2247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #17
VMRWheels
Sponsor

Quote:
So which do you like best?
Iv been running 225/45/15 Toyo R1R's all year on my race car and they have been doing great! The grip they offer is amazing and is up there with the Bridgestone RE01R's I have driven on. I suspect the RE11 and AD08 to be just as good. RS2's would probably be my last choice due to the oily characteristic they offer after a few laps out.

Quote:
Thanks, the widest available over here are the Toyo R1R and the Hankook RS2, with the Hankooks having the best pricing. are these recommendable, and do they offer much more grip compared to the Vredesteins?

Considering it's length, that's almost 60 laps around Laguna Seca
I would suggest getting the R1R over the RS2. Grip and consistency differences will play a huge roll in a road course.

-Charles@VMRWheels

Old 04-04-2010, 11:54 PM   #18
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
While we are on the subject, on average, about how many hours of track time should one have before graduating to semi-slicks? I've got about 8 hours so far.

I feel like I've got the basics. Of course there are some things I can improve upon...consistent throttle control from apex to track out and seeing the flag stations further out.

My plan was to wear my DZ1 SS's out (probably about another 1-2 hours on the track) and then go with r-comps. Sound like a solid plan?
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:44 AM   #19
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
Nitto NT-01
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #20
VMRWheels
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
While we are on the subject, on average, about how many hours of track time should one have before graduating to semi-slicks? I've got about 8 hours so far.

I feel like I've got the basics. Of course there are some things I can improve upon...consistent throttle control from apex to track out and seeing the flag stations further out.

My plan was to wear my DZ1 SS's out (probably about another 1-2 hours on the track) and then go with r-comps. Sound like a solid plan?
I think hours of track time could be subjective... Iv personally had about 15 hrs of total on track time and I am just about comfortable and ready to hop into R-Comps while a friend of mine is at the same but still greatly improving on street tires.

IMO, staying with street tires as long as you can will definitely cure those small issues you may have before changing to r-comps and letting the grip levels cover up your mistakes.

-Charles@VMRWheels