E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
K1rby
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 159
My Ride: has no C pillars
255/35-18x8.5 on et44? (square setup)

I've only seen one other non-M rocking these TR Motorsport MT1s and he's running 245/40s

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=668855

So will 255/35s work on a coupe? This guy thought about doing it on a sedan, but changed his mind apparently.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=743373

I guess I'll find out this weekend! Any predictions?

__________________
sig courtesy of CSL323
K1rby is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,623
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
i dont see why not. with that offset tho, you might have to put spacer on to clear the struts, assuming the wheels are 8.5, if theyre 9, they def will need spacers, say 5+ mm
if youre talking about the rear, i KNOW theyll fit, if theyre 9.5 or less rims
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
K1rby
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 159
My Ride: has no C pillars
8.5J18 et+44 all around. Thanks for the positive response. I'm pretty sure they'll fit too (or I wouldn't have bought them), but not 100%. If I need spacers, so be it. But Ima try without first.
__________________
sig courtesy of CSL323
K1rby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
VMRWheels
Sponsor
 
VMRWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 9,992
My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirby147 View Post
8.5J18 et+44 all around. Thanks for the positive response. I'm pretty sure they'll fit too (or I wouldn't have bought them), but not 100%. If I need spacers, so be it. But Ima try without first.
Just mount the wheel on and spin it freely before dropping the car on the floor.

-Charles@VMRWheels
__________________
Sales @ VMR | Wheels
Tel: 714-442-7916 | Email: sales@velocitymotoring.com

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
K1rby
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 159
My Ride: has no C pillars
^
__________________
sig courtesy of CSL323
K1rby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
Simple SOHC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 100
My Ride: 01' 330ci SGM / IR
I'm running 255/35-18's on 18x8.5 +38 BBS RS-II's....stock sport suspension with no problems...took it through some twisties this past weekend with no rubbing issues.

I'm not sure it will clear coilovers...haven't tried it yet...hoping so because I like the square setup better than when I was running 235/40-18's up front.
__________________
-Nick-

"Simplicity in design while optimizing and achieving one's maximum potential."
Simple SOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
drivrswntd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 301
My Ride: 330ci
You shouldnt have any issue's. I run 17x9 et42 with 255/40 and have no rubbing at all.

__________________
Jay

Boston BMWCCA chapter
drivrswntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
BimmerFerret
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cardinal Country, KY
Posts: 1,882
My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
Nice rims man. I'll be sure to honk if I see your car in the Ville!!
__________________
2008 Infiniti G37S - Big Brakes, Limited Slip, etc.
2007 Sky Redline
1998 Honda Civic EX Sedan


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:32 AM   #9
K1rby
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 159
My Ride: has no C pillars
Thanks for the input. I got them on yesterday with no issues. I clear the damper housings in the front and back by approx. 5-8 mm. I think the stance looks great, but could also come out another 5mm or so without problems. I'm gonna leave 'em right there. IMHO, the 255s look perfect on 8.5 rims. I can't imagine putting the recommended 225s on them. Here's some more crappy cell phone pics.




in b4 "now you need a drop"
__________________
sig courtesy of CSL323
K1rby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:58 AM   #10
mestupmonkydude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oregon, WI
Posts: 676
My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivrswntd View Post
You shouldnt have any issue's. I run 17x9 et42 with 255/40 and have no rubbing at all.

is it just me or do you not have an antenna?
mestupmonkydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:05 AM   #11
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,623
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirby147 View Post
Thanks for the input. I got them on yesterday with no issues. I clear the damper housings in the front and back by approx. 5-8 mm. I think the stance looks great, but could also come out another 5mm or so without problems. I'm gonna leave 'em right there. IMHO, the 255s look perfect on 8.5 rims. I can't imagine putting the recommended 225s on them. Here's some more crappy cell phone pics.




in b4 "now you need a drop"
put 10mm spacers on the back, then drop her down
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #12
hamadyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 85
My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
Looks awesome !!

That is the setup I wanted but at the last minute I changed my mind and went for LTW Empower Mesh. I did get the MT1 for my GTI and I am truly impressed with the quality of the wheel.

The LTW Mesh have an offset of 40 mm. Using a Yokohama Advan Sport which is the widest 255 I have ever seen, I am rubbing slightly in the rear. IMHO the 44mm offset on the MT1 is PERFECT for the E46 with 255 all around.

Trying to sell the Yokohama and go with something narrower.
hamadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:02 AM   #13
drivrswntd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 301
My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestupmonkydude View Post
is it just me or do you not have an antenna?
There is no antenna hole on the roof. Car never had one. I think it is all built into the rear window glass.
__________________
Jay

Boston BMWCCA chapter
drivrswntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #14
simsima325
'a certain moderator'
 
simsima325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Hyattsville, MD
Posts: 37,731
My Ride: Honda Civic
looks nice mate
__________________
-Brendan
simsima325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #15
K1rby
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 159
My Ride: has no C pillars
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
put 10mm spacers on the back, then drop her down
10mm, really? I was thinking maybe 5. Are you thinking with rolled fenders or as is? I don't wanna roll my fenders. I'm thinking about H&R sport springs for a drop... someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamadyr View Post
Looks awesome !!

That is the setup I wanted but at the last minute I changed my mind and went for LTW Empower Mesh. I did get the MT1 for my GTI and I am truly impressed with the quality of the wheel.

The LTW Mesh have an offset of 40 mm. Using a Yokohama Advan Sport which is the widest 255 I have ever seen, I am rubbing slightly in the rear. IMHO the 44mm offset on the MT1 is PERFECT for the E46 with 255 all around.

Trying to sell the Yokohama and go with something narrower.
Yeah, I linked to your thread in my OP. I was hoping to see your setup before I pulled the trigger. You actually scared me a little when you posted rubbing issues with the et+40. I have General Exclaim UHP XLs, btw. I took my (fat ) sister-in-law for a spirited drive this past Sunday with no rubbing issues. I don't think I'm gonna rub under any circumstances with this setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
looks nice mate
__________________
sig courtesy of CSL323
K1rby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:50 AM   #16
BimmerFerret
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cardinal Country, KY
Posts: 1,882
My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
Rims look good. No drop needed IMO. I wouldn't even do spacers unless you are certain no rubbing will occur on bumps. 99.9% of people on the street won't notice your car with or without spacers.
__________________
2008 Infiniti G37S - Big Brakes, Limited Slip, etc.
2007 Sky Redline
1998 Honda Civic EX Sedan


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #17
K1rby
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 159
My Ride: has no C pillars
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CiJohn View Post
Rims look good. No drop needed IMO. I wouldn't even do spacers unless you are certain no rubbing will occur on bumps. 99.9% of people on the street won't notice your car with or without spacers.
Good point. I'll prolly decide on spacers after I drop it first. I'm really on the fence about dropping it anyway. My main concern is stiffening the ride. I don't track the car so a little body roll doesn't bother me (not that there's much with the stock sport suspension). OTOH, The front fender gap looks, well... bad.
__________________
sig courtesy of CSL323
K1rby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #18
BimmerFerret
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cardinal Country, KY
Posts: 1,882
My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
You think so? I think these cars come stock with near perfect wheel gap. I'm used to having Hondas and domestics where you could fit babies in the fender wells!
__________________
2008 Infiniti G37S - Big Brakes, Limited Slip, etc.
2007 Sky Redline
1998 Honda Civic EX Sedan


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #19
calialx1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: lost in the twisties of the Bay Area, CA
Posts: 254
My Ride: FL 330i, 3000GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CiJohn View Post
You think so? I think these cars come stock with near perfect wheel gap. I'm used to having Hondas and domestics where you could fit babies in the fender wells!
ditto, when people tell me my car needs a drop im like

i wish my 3000gt was as low as a stock 330i
__________________
calialx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:51 PM   #20
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,623
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
i ran i think you could get away with 10s out back and 5s up front.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use