E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
epiedra24

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323CI
Need Help , Coolant level Light coming on and off

Ive got a 2000 323CI , It recently over heated and blew up my exp. Tank . I changed the thermostat and exp tank, bled the cooling system and the car runs fine now, it gets up to operating temp and stays there. The only thing is, i noticed that when the a/c is on and im crusing and come to a stop the coolant level light will come on and then when i take off the light turns off almost immediately, this problem has been consistent ever since i fixed everything. What could possibly be causing this to happen?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
epiedra24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:18 AM   #2
TWong1200

My Ride: 04 ZHP | TurboE36
Was the sensor on the expansion tank replaced too? Or at least inspected? You could possibly not have bled the system properly as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
TWong1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Almost certainly it's the fact that you didn't bleed properly.

I did this once after my cooling system refresh, and thought I had bled it properly but had similar problems. re-did it again and no issues after that.
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
epiedra24

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323CI
Can someone tell me in a quick way what would be the "proper" bleeding method? (Without being linked to the bleeding page on this forum)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
epiedra24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
Loupland

My Ride: BMW 3.18i
1. screw off the bleeding cap.
2. throw in coolant untill it comes pouring out the bleeding hole.
3. screw the bleeding cap back on.
4. start engine and let it run for a few minutes
5. shut of the engine
6. repeat 1, 2 and 3.

That's how I do it. I do point 6 to make sure I poured in enough and that there are no air bubbles hidden somewhere.

But... If you have completly drained your coolant at some point, you have to add 1 step.

Fill up your coolant and run the engine with the coolant cap off. Untill it burps.

It's like when you give a baby the bottle, it has to burp. If you leave the cap on, its like putting your hand on the babys mouth. It cant burp.
Your thermostat opens up and there could be an air pocket in there. that makes the burping sound if it fills up with coolant.

I say try that and see if it helps.
Loupland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
No, do it this way. The reason he's saying to start the engine is because of #3 below, but no need to go to all that extra work.

1. make a 50/50 mix of distilled water and bmw coolant.
2. When your car is cold, remove the expansion tank cap and the bleeder screw on the top of the upper radiator hose.
3. Turn the ignition to the first position and the heater on the lowest blower setting. This opens up the coolant flow to the heater core.
4. Fill the coolant up until the coolant comes bubbling out the hose.
5. Continue to fill bit by bit until there are no bubbles of air coming out the bleeder screw hole. (also massage the upper radiator hose a little to get any trapped bubbles out)
6. Screw in the bleeder screw .
7. Use a hand pump or syringe to remove the excess coolant from the expansion tank until it is at the proper level indicated by the floating gauge. I heard this didn't matter but I didn't get my system working right until I did this part too.
8. Put the expansion tank cap back on.
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:22 PM   #7
glhx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
To get the coolant out if it is over filled.
I put the cap on and get the car up to operating temperature. Then undo the bleeder screw and watch the coolant come out until the stick is just below the highest point. Then I drop in a tiny amount of fluid until it's barely topped out.

Let pressure do all the work
Old 11-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
Fivemane

My Ride: 02 330ci
So today I replaced my upper radiator hose due to a leak on the end above the expansion tank, well now I have a HUGE leak on the other end the it's more toward the center in the and i found this out on the road when my coolant light came on.
Now when I got home I pinched the center hose part and I do hear air escaping from the left end. Did I not connect this right? And does anyone else have this air escape when the pinch the hose?
Fivemane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:11 PM   #9
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
No, do it this way. The reason he's saying to start the engine is because of #3 below, but no need to go to all that extra work.

1. make a 50/50 mix of distilled water and bmw coolant.
2. When your car is cold, remove the expansion tank cap and the bleeder screw on the top of the upper radiator hose.
3. Turn the ignition to the first position and the heater on the lowest blower setting. This opens up the coolant flow to the heater core.
4. Fill the coolant up until the coolant comes bubbling out the hose.
5. Continue to fill bit by bit until there are no bubbles of air coming out the bleeder screw hole. (also massage the upper radiator hose a little to get any trapped bubbles out)
6. Screw in the bleeder screw .
7. Use a hand pump or syringe to remove the excess coolant from the expansion tank until it is at the proper level indicated by the floating gauge. I heard this didn't matter but I didn't get my system working right until I did this part too.
8. Put the expansion tank cap back on.
Two things to add to this ... on step 3 turn the heater temp up to 90. And after step 8, run the engine and after it has cooled, take off the expansion tank cap, and add more 50/50 coolant mix to bring it up to the right level, as it will likely be low.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:57 PM   #10
Fivemane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansho View Post
Two things to add to this ... on step 3 turn the heater temp up to 90. And after step 8, run the engine and after it has cooled, take off the expansion tank cap, and add more 50/50 coolant mix to bring it up to the right level, as it will likely be low.
How will this stop my leak? And I just ran the car after refitting the hose on both ends and it still had it spit out coolant after it was on the road for 3 minutes. Except i think the leak was from both ends. Did i need to bleed out the air before i drove?Also I don't have much coolant left and I was on the way to buy some but everything is closed.

If someone of these things are stupid or obvious, my apologizes in advance.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:25 AM   #11
Fivemane

And when i changed the coolant about a year ago, i didn't use BMW coolant I used Penotfrost NF
Old 11-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #12
Fivemane

Old 11-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #13
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivemane View Post
How will this stop my leak?
The answers above focus on the original post. Technically, you're thread jacking on OP's question.

That said, if your upper radiator hose is leaking, and it's a BMW or Conti/OEM hose, pull the metal retaining clip up on the end(s) that's leaking, take it off and ensure the rubber o-ring is in place. If it is, push it back on, with some pressure, then drop the metal clip.

Then bleed the system of air. If it's still leaking, either the hose is defective, you're not putting it on correctly, or there's an issue with the thermostat/expansion tank at the connection point.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #14
Fivemane

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1416155632.537506.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	581068
I think I found what's causing it