E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-22-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
lulubboy

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
Fuel Filter Install DIY?

Can somebody point me where I can find a fuel filter DIY install?

HOw dificult and does it really help?

Also where to buy this new filter?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
kneb

My Ride: 1987 325e
Send a message via AIM to kneb
Without pictures: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=242221
With pictures: http://bimmerinfo.com/diy/fuel-filter/

Your fuel filter may be different from the one in the photograph, so go to your local dealership parts counter, give them the last 7 digits of your VIN, and they'll order you the right filter.

Otherwise, go to realoem.com and put in your last 7 there. Then cross-reference the part number at bavauto or pelican parts or any of the bazillion other parts places out there.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
lulubboy

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
thanks buddy. will have to do this in a bit.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
kneb

My Ride: 1987 325e
Send a message via AIM to kneb
Sorry, I didn't answer your other questions. It isn't very difficult, but you'll need really small metric sockets for these weird bolts they have holding on the shield protecting the filter. I forget exactly what size but I think it is 7 or 8mm. You'll need to put the car on ramps as a minimum and maybe jack stands on the back depending on your (human) body type.

Your question "does it really help" is a difficult one. Although this isn't a performance upgrade, it should be done along with your transmission and differential oil changes every Inspection II (BMW says Inspection II is every 60k miles for MY1999 and newer, I say every 30k cause I'm just weird like that). It doesn't help performance unless yours is super clogged, but it is a necessary maintenance item, especially if you still have the factory fuel filter.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
therednsx

My Ride: 323 CI (E46) & NSX
KNEB,

Thanks a million! Just replaced the fuel filter on the 2000 323CI and it was exactly as you described it. The 323CI only has the two connections (in and out) but none the less a straight forward maintenance task. My hose clamps required a 5mm socket; I'm sure that a 7/32 socket or a pair of pliers would have accomplished the task as well. Easily a 30 minute job!

Sorry I cheated as well and I didn't identify the forward attachment points of the protective shield; however I found the shield hanging down to be most helpful in containing the fuel as it directed the flow to a conveniently placed 10 inch diameter bowl I placed under the car to actually catch the fuel. As I removed the old filter I had the new filter ready to install so I removed one connection at a time minimizing spillage (you'll make mesh regardless) from the car. I let the old filter drain out into the bowl and removed them both from the work area before continuing.

While you're down there take a look around at the craftsmanship of undercarriage. This car has an amazing heat shield that runs the length of the passenger compartment and layers of sound damping materials; nicely done. I only point this out because I purchased this model simply based on the fact that it was bottom of the pack 3 series coupe, a work/everyday car I could drive for 200,000 miles ( last one made to 238k/still runs), cheapest price tag. I expected less and again I got a lot more!
therednsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:09 PM   #6
speedtek

My Ride: m3
is this the same for an e46 m3? need to do this this weekend. if its different for my car can someone point me in the right direction. thanks!
speedtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
kataE46

My Ride: 2001 E46
What is the exact size of the rubber hoses for the fuel pump
Old 04-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
sbocaj55

My Ride: 330
Send a message via AIM to sbocaj55
Install couldn't really be easier. pinch off the hoses...pull the old one off and squeeze the new one in. My old fuel filter hardly had any particles/sediment in it...so I guess the fuel i buy is pretty good. Didn't really seem to "need" it...but peace of mind is worth it.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
HighPod

My Ride: '00 white 323ci
you dont really need to do all the fuse pulling. i used 2 smooth pens and the cap from the new furel filter. pulled off the front side and capped it real quick and stuck the back end of the pen in the hose about a .5 inch ( a perfect fit) to plug it. and then the same with other end. most of the gas that comes out is from the fuel filter anyway, and there still wasnt that much
Old 05-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
Mthrize

My Ride: A car
bavarian autoport has a diy for identifying your fuel filter and replacing it. It is in one of there news letters that they have for download. It is pretty useful. Plus you can just ask them for the right one
Mthrize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #11
StrBlstBimer

My Ride: 2001 330I
I went to get a filter and they didn't give me a fuel reg is this a prob????

2001 330i
StrBlstBimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:33 AM   #12
BimmerFerret

My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret

Where is a safe place to dispose of the fuel that is leaked out? I don't want to get it on the floor and will be using a bucket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:10 PM   #13
nallman

My Ride: 2004 330xi
When you do your fuel filter change, TAKE NOTE OF WHICH LINE IS WHICH. I made the mistake of switching them, and wondered for 15 minutes why my car wouldn't start.

Coding in the WI area ($20) Clutch Stop ($5 shipped) Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror ($50 shipped)
nallman is offline   Reply With Quote