E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 01:24 AM   #1
Jazzstratus

My Ride: 323I
Stupid Failed Inspection . Need Help

I have no SES light on in my car and only 1 error code that a code reader can pick up which is P1622 (O2 Sensor). But 4 days ago i went for a inspection and failed. The report is saying that my Catalyst - Not Ready, 2nd Sys - Not Ready and 02 Sensor - Not Ready.

Story behind it : A week ago i replaced my Ignition coil (5th) and replaced all 6 spark plugs and 5 Spark boots (1-5). I went in for an inspection 3 days later and this above is what i was told. I unplugged the battery, wiped the codes, and drove around for miles again. But this time went in today and was told the exact same BUT my EVAP monitor was not ready this time... any ideas ?
Jazzstratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:32 AM   #2
cohjos

My Ride: 2001 325I
i think i had the not ready thing before. it happened when i deleted the codes before the inspection.
i had to drive for almost a 100 miles to have the computer reset again and have the car readable again. it might not mean that you still have a problem.
in my case though, the codes came back try driving some more and see what happens. im pretty sure you dont have to have everything ready
to have the car inspected. good luck.
cohjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:35 AM   #3
Jazzstratus

Ive never had this problem before. The people who did the inspection said that they would let it get away with 1 error, but not 3 (now 4 popping up). I think they are crazy, but then i dont know if this could be some easy fix with seafoam and an oil change or actually chaning the 02 sensor and Cat sensor. Im stumped
Old 04-08-2010, 01:44 AM   #4
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
i had the same issue. its your computer having been reset. you need 60 continous miles. drive 30 miles down the highway and back
Old 04-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #5
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Try running a "Drive cycle" (it can be done in 11 miles per BMW but probably not driving on the street.)

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/BMW_docs/OBDproc.pdf
See pages 5-7 of the PDF

The diagnostic routine shown above will be discontinued whenever:
Engine speed exceeds 3000 RPM
Large fluctuations in throttle angle
Road speed exceeds 60 MPH
NOTE: The driving criteria shown can be completed within the FTP required ~11 miles
in a controlled environment such as a dyno test or test track.
A "customer driving cycle" may vary according to traffic patterns, route selection and
distance traveled, which may not allow the "diagnostic trip" to be fully completed each
time the vehicle is operated.
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:21 AM   #6
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
When you clear codes out of a ODBII system, you have to have enough activity for the ECU to fully operate all devices and determine if everything is functioning correctly.

Like a number of posters indicated, if may take days or weeks for these cycles to complete depending on the conditions the car is driven under.

In short, the more cold start to complete warm up cycles you drive along with mixed city and highway, them more quickly you can usually complete all pretest for the ECU to determine if the vehicle is ready for an inspection.

The reasoning is so folks cannot clear codes then get a vehicle inspected that may still have problems. This ECU pretest is to at least flush out the obvious problems.

Go to AutoZone, Advance Auto, PepBoys and ask them to check codes, they can tell you if the ECU has completed all test for a State IM inspection. If the tests have been completed, get to your IM Inspection station before a code is triggered.

This is nothing unique to BMW, all ODBII systems have this function.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
Jazzstratus

Im going to try and run it continously again for a while for the next few days and maybe ill get lucky. I looked at that PDF (thanks for the help) but the engine i have is a E46 and might or might not be applicable for that. I should have maybe posted it before that my car is a E46 323I 2000 model sedan. Anyway any more ideas are appreciated, i just cant for the life of my undersand why the catalyst is failing emissions and hell if i know what the second system is. I was thinking about also going to the monitors and cleaning them by hand even, but i dont know what kinda problems that might cause for myself.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
Kringkily

My Ride: e46 m3 convertible
you should try driving the standard highway speed with minimal fluctuations in your throttle meaning go for a drive 10 miles one way with cruise control. change lanes early and then drive back. minimize your braking needs and move over to the slower lane. that should get it ready
Kringkily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
bmwmike97

My Ride: 2002 325i
How can one tell if the computer has reset and you can bring it back for inspection? I have a Peake code reader.
bmwmike97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
Anub!s

My Ride: e92M, e46 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Anub!s Send a message via MSN to Anub!s Send a message via Yahoo to Anub!s
I passed smog with a check engine light lol.

had the guy who owns the place clear the codes and went out drove exactly 30 miles back and forth on the freeway. Went back and he checked with the reader and said, we are good to go.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
Jazzstratus

Unhappy

I need luck like that
Old 04-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #12
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Good luck on your inspection, hope it passes this time.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmike97 View Post
How can one tell if the computer has reset and you can bring it back for inspection? I have a Peake code reader.
I'm pretty sure a Peake can't read the readiness monitors. You need a decent OBD2 code scanner for that. I have the Auto Xray EZ Scan 4000 which can let you know which readiness monitors are complete and not.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #14
JSanders

My Ride: Breaks too often
Go to a trashy inspection shop on the ghetto side of town.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
Anub!s

My Ride: e92M, e46 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Anub!s Send a message via MSN to Anub!s Send a message via Yahoo to Anub!s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzstratus View Post
I need luck like that
Sometimes you have to make your own luck. find an inspection spot and become friends with the owner. Who knows, it might come in handy one day
Old 04-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #16
Jazzstratus

Ya i was already thinking about this haha. There cant be a damn thing that is wrong which would legitly fail my car
Old 04-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #17
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
What side of Dallas are you?
If east side near Garland, you might want to hit Garland Automotive Center, W. Kingsley Rd & Shiloh - opposite corner of the old Jotech shop.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #18
Jazzstratus

Bimmer will they be able to hook it up on the inspection or fix it as well ?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #19
cnotesdip

My Ride: 330ci
a 30 min drive on a highway you get ur sensors ready
cnotesdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #20
Jazzstratus

So this is what im being told. I need to stop by Autozone and pick up a cleaner for my fuel lines and put it in my tank which is at 1/4. I need to drive till im about on empty and then stop by a Chevron or Shell and put a higher grade of fuel in the car and fill it up from empty. Drive about 20+ miles at a consistant 50-55mph on the highway shut the car down for 15-30 seconds. Restart and drive to my inspection place. Susposidly this will give me time to heat up my catalyst and clean the system... Any ideas ? Also i cant get a response on just cleaning the damn o2 sensor or catalyst sensor... just an idea on that though.