E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #21
XANDERCOM

My Ride: E46 318i SE
ps when opening up my dash I actually found two LED's that had come off, one was the airbag warning led, plus two tiny resistors. I managed to find their homes and put them back on. I was worried that the airbag light would come on straight away but thank goodness id didint.
Did anyone else experience something like this?
XANDERCOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #22
XANDERCOM

PPS I left a couple of the red LED's still in place where the temp guage needs red. Its very difficult to see on here but if you look at the needles carefully on the MPG, fuel and temp you will see that they graduate from blue at the base to red at the tip. Funky!
Old 05-24-2010, 06:45 AM   #23
Scott87

My Ride: 325ci 2001
Glad to see other fanatics found the DIY useful. I am still experimenting with my clusters even now. Trying different filter material behind the LCD for a good look that aint too bright. Also swapping between my red and white needles to find a combination i like. White needles take the colour of the backlight which can be quite cool. I would love to try the UV LEDs behind the LCD with a white filter to make it kind of glow, slightly like a VW i suppose. I do like the clusters in them. Feel free to PM me any time if you have any thoughts.

Scott.
Scott87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #24
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
have you found a filter for white? lol i've tried a lot of things and still can't get it to come out right. the closest i got was peach

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #25
XANDERCOM

well today I did the air con unit and the light unit. Looks great!!
I used the white plastic from an ice cream tub to put behind the screen of the aircon unit. Being in the UK everything in our cars is on the opposite sides.

Looks absolutely stunning! Makes my 12 yearold car have such a modern feel to it.

Interestingly when it was built in 1998 I was 16 years old.. I remember at the time (i was really into electronics) that blue LED's were quite expensive as they hadnt been around for more than a year or two. I remember ordering some in from my local electrical store and it costing just under Ģ5 for 3 of them. They definatly wernt in any consumer products until a few years later. Probably somewhat similar to the recent breakthrough that made blue lasers affordable and so have found their way into blue ray players and playstation 3. I remember again that white LED's wernt easy to come buy until a couple more years later.
I would guess that this is why the only "blue" light in the entire vehicle is the high beam headlight indicator, which as we all know is actually a regular light bulb with a filament and a blue filter in front of it.

I selectively left some of the LED's in place so my hot/cold air control now has a blue under the cold button and red under the hot.
I also took the green LED's out of the airflow buttons and replaced them with red ones, so now I have blue illuminated buttons that change to red when the button is engaged.

The air recycle button now has green LED's when activated, blue when deactivated (green = recycling, get it??!).

I think I am going to leave the screen in the dashboard as red. It makes for a nice contrast and has a more elaborate feel than the entire dash being blue.
Will grab some pics tomorrow.. currently having fun with the FSU so my battery is on charge for the 2nd night in a row. New battery and FSU me thinks...
Old 05-27-2010, 09:54 PM   #26
manzrik

My Ride: e46 320d
wow!!nice works!!!this is my car!!

Old 05-28-2010, 12:46 AM   #27
Indiglo

My Ride: '04 325ci
wow that looks great
Old 05-28-2010, 02:24 AM   #28
Cowspoo

My Ride: 328Ci
How did you do the radio and accessories? Same concept?
Old 05-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #29
manzrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiglo View Post
wow that looks great
thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowspoo View Post
How did you do the radio and accessories? Same concept?
ihave a sinto-monitor whith blue leds,the next upgrade probabily is a carpc, looks better and have more function!!!

Last edited by manzrik; 05-30-2010 at 12:56 PM.
manzrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #30
Scott87

I really need to decide on colours. I wish i could change them all with the push of a button then i could be happy every day ha!

*goes away to think*
Old 06-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #31
XANDERCOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manzrik View Post
thanks!!!

ihave a sinto-monitor whith blue leds,the next upgrade probabily is a carpc, looks better and have more function!!!
Nice :-)

I am about to order some more LED's.. used 31 so far for the dash, climate control and light controls.
Did you find the LED's in the window lift buttons to be the same as everything else? I dont want to pull them apart if I dont have the right LED's ready.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #32
manzrik

i've buy the 3mm leds to ebay,the color it's the same...luckily!

What you wanted to know exactly?
Old 06-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #33
XANDERCOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manzrik View Post
i've buy the 3mm leds to ebay,the color it's the same...luckily!

What you wanted to know exactly?
are they the same ones as the dash?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

these are the ones I used for the dash and air con cluster.

same?
Old 06-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #34
manzrik

for the windows switch there are 3mm leds...

Old 06-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #35
XANDERCOM

ahh i see.
Easy to do? I prefer the surface mount as its easier to solder and get the LED's round the right way.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #36
tuudu

My Ride: 320d
Hello

It seems that I have slight problem with removing needles. I dont want to pull very hard, but it feels like they are glued or something.
At least - itīs impossible to remove them with bare fingers.
Any ideas?
tuudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #37
s3th

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP
anyone know where i can buy new buttons that stick out of the cluster or lead me to the DIY that i once saw to fix this. its annoying the crap out of me! i want it to work!!! i've searched but come up empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuudu View Post
Hello

It seems that I have slight problem with removing needles. I dont want to pull very hard, but it feels like they are glued or something.
Any ideas?
take a fork and put it under then u can sorta pry it up.

500px
s3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:32 AM   #38
manzrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3th View Post
anyone know where i can buy new buttons that stick out of the cluster or lead me to the DIY that i once saw to fix this. its annoying the crap out of me! i want it to work!!! i've searched but come up empty.

take a fork and put it under then u can sorta pry it up.
like this???

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...cluster+repair
Old 06-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #39
XANDERCOM

I decided to go one step further and respray the entire inside surround silver..
This pic doesn't do it justice... infact this pic it looks positively awful, but that will be the ridiculously bright LED flash on my HD2.

As its behind the glass and never going to be touched, I was able to forgo lacquer for maximum reflectivity. It looks like a solid piece of calved aluminium.
Its in the car so will get a picture tomorrow when its light.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:14 AM   #40
Scott87

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuudu View Post
Hello

Any ideas?
Don't pry them up with a fork, that's how i broke mine in the first place! Just grab hold of the black centre cap and whilst rotating it counter clockwise lift it straight up and off. This is the safest way to get them off. I was taught this by the auto electrician who came to re-flash my donor cluster after i broke my first pair! Hope this helps.