E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #21
Mau330i

My Ride: '02 330i
What about a combination of both??

Use the jack just rise the engine and then the engine support to hold it and remove the jack. This way the stress over the oil pan is there just for a few minutes and you have extra space under the car once you remove the jack.

This is just an idea... lets see what others say

Maybe replacing the mounts is too fast and all this work is unnecessary and maybe you will need to be able to move the engine up and down to place the new mounts in place.

Last edited by Mau330i; 04-30-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Mau330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #22
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
The engine support brace wont help you. When you install new engine mounts you need to actually raise the engine a bit to get them out. The engine support brace only does what it does , support, it doent raise.

Put a block of wood under the oilpan and raise the engine with a jack until you get them out. Nothing is gonna happen , dont worry , you're not gonna mess up any wires and your oil pan wont crack or break . Done it many times
oh yea! My engine soon to see new ENGINE MOUNTS!

here i come! Pics will be available after i receive new parts. ^_^

i will follow your steps, thank you sir^

I really just dont want nothing serious to happen to my Oil pan, i really dont wanna bend it and have to get new one PITA! I REPEAT PITA!

Is there a location im suppose to raise the engine with jack?

can someone make pics with location to setup the jack and wood?

Last edited by Gus330vrum; 04-30-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #23
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mau330i View Post
What about a combination of both??

Use the jack just rise the engine and then the engine support to hold it and remove the jack. This way the stress over the oil pan is there just for a few minutes and you have extra space under the car once you remove the jack.

This is just an idea... lets see what others say

Maybe replacing the mounts is too fast and all this work is unnecessary and maybe you will need to be able to move the engine up and down to place the new mounts in place.
Well you could but you would need to use a crane as the engine support bar can only support the engine at its normal position. Meaning you can support it as it is and then remove anything you want and it wont go anywhere, but if you raise it then you wouldnt be able to use that brace. Hard to explain ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlatexxx View Post
oh yea! My engine soon to see new ENGINE MOUNTS!

here i come! Pics will be available after i receive new parts. ^_^

i will follow your steps, thank you sir^

I really just dont want nothing serious to happen to my Oil pan, i really dont wanna bend it and have to get new one PITA! I REPEAT PITA!

Is there a location im suppose to raise the engine with jack?

can someone make pics with location to setup the jack and wood?
You can put the block of wood anywhere you want, not on the oil sensor of course. Try to put it where the oil plug is.

Here is a tip, when you buy new motor mounts buy the ones made for M3 or for xi model (m3 and Xi cars have IDENTICAL motor mounts, same part number) why? because they're the stiffest and therefore the best oem piece.

You will need at least 2 feet of extensions and you absolutely must use a ratchet joint extension .

Search , there are a tonne of DIYs on google both both M and non-m .

Another tip: remove your AUX fan before proceeding, because when you lift/tilt the motor , you'll need extra space

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #24
forzam

My Ride: 04 325Ci
Quote:
The engine support brace wont help you. When you install new engine mounts you need to actually raise the engine a bit to get them out. The engine support brace only does what it does , support, it doent raise.

Put a block of wood under the oilpan and raise the engine with a jack until you get them out. Nothing is gonna happen , dont worry , you're not gonna mess up any wires and your oil pan wont crack or break . Done it many times
I used the engine support bar to lift the engine enough to take off the driver side motor mounts. The passenger side needed a little help from below. But you can definitely use the engine support bar to raise the engine above its normal height. Just keep turning the giant wing bolt!
forzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #25
alpine003

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzam View Post
I used the engine support bar to lift the engine enough to take off the driver side motor mounts. The passenger side needed a little help from below. But you can definitely use the engine support bar to raise the engine above its normal height. Just keep turning the giant wing bolt!
X2, you can raise the engine with the engine support bar. Did you see the link I provided Blocked Out?

Also providing link to DIY that seems to work the best with the least hassles.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...236&highlight=
Old 04-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #26
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
wow, way too much thought going into this.

this is taking longer to discuss than to just do - the jack under the engine is the most efficient and since you are only doing one side at a time there isnt anyway for the engine to fall more than a few inches
Old 05-01-2012, 03:13 AM   #27
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Get the Harbor Freight support bar for $48 with the 20% off coupon. There is one is this months Car and Driver, if you are not on Harbor Freights mailing list. I went to get mine today, but they were out of them at the store I went to. They have 5 in stock on the other side of town, so I will be going there tomorrow.
You will probably spend more than $50 in lumber for your wood frame deal. The support bar is a better method than jacking up the engine by the oil pan, IMO. I know you like to save some money, but this is about safety and what is best for your car. You will be kicking yourself if something happens to your oil pan if you jack it up, and you don't want to get squashed under a home made engine lift, that is a bad way to go.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:16 AM   #28
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:

So, those other members who reported doing this are all wrong?
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #29
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine003 View Post
X2, you can raise the engine with the engine support bar. Did you see the link I provided Blocked Out?

Also providing link to DIY that seems to work the best with the least hassles.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...236&highlight=
No I didnt see the link. It blows my mind that people are buying an engine support bar for this job. I dont get it, why? The bar makes the job SO much more difficult as when you lower the engine onto the new motor mounts you have to be under the car guiding the brackets in, now you guys made it a 2 person job with your bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
So, those other members who reported doing this are all wrong?
No , they are correct. I was wrong.

Its getting out of control guys , 330i ZHP said it BEST.

If you guys are so worried about such simple job as this, have a priest bless you along with your car before you start

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #30
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by blocked out View Post
no i didnt see the link. It blows my mind that people are buying an engine support bar for this job. I dont get it, why? the bar makes the job so much more difficult as when you lower the engine onto the new motor mounts you have to be under the car guiding the brackets in, now you guys made it a 2 person job with your bar.

Sad story. Lol

no , they are correct. I was wrong.

Its getting out of control guys , 330i zhp said it best.

If you guys are so worried about such simple job as this, have a priest bless you along with your car before you start

lol
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #31
alpine003

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
No I didnt see the link. It blows my mind that people are buying an engine support bar for this job. I dont get it, why? The bar makes the job SO much more difficult as when you lower the engine onto the new motor mounts you have to be under the car guiding the brackets in, now you guys made it a 2 person job with your bar.
Actually it was VERY easy to get the motor back on the new mounts. All it takes is the "right" technique. http://e46fanatics.com/forum/showthr...236&highlight=

I did it myself in a cramped dark garage with about 2 ft clearance on each side of the car. I managed to lower the engine onto the new mounts in less than 1 min per side.

Last edited by alpine003; 05-02-2012 at 02:15 PM.
alpine003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #32
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
i used the jack it up from underneath method. i have to say lowering the subframe would be the better method as you have to jack the car up kinda high and it does put stress on the heater hoses. enough that it could possibly promote a leak there.

there are plenty of diy's on this.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #33
driftingSOCALE46

My Ride: 2002 325i
the place for a brace is right next to the power steering reservoir and the oil filter tank..... see the metal loop thats for holding the motor up or lifting it slightly, also could jump ur car from there (I know that from experience, dont fall asleep in a parking lot with thew AC blasting and stereo blasting..lol)
driftingSOCALE46 is offline   Reply With Quote