E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #21
///Orient3

My Ride: can't be defined
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
You are missing something on your build list:

Multiple cases of beer.
Haha, I came home late/early Thursday after celebrating my birthday and was going to do some work with the torque wrench, but thought better of it. But yes, I have been sampling while working.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #22
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
I wish we could get enough interest to have an off-the-shelf option.
They make them, and I've heard AWESOME reviews on them. Though it's said you shouldn't run a underdrive pulley with a lightweight flywheel, as harmonic issues arise. Something about splitting cranks....
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #23
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Yep, I've been conversing back and forth with ATI, as they made Adam's. They don't have a "street" version (with A/C) and because it's larger, it would overdrive the waterpump and alternator. Don't know if I want to deal with all that... Plus, pretty pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
They make them, and I've heard AWESOME reviews on them. Though it's said you shouldn't run a underdrive pulley with a lightweight flywheel, as harmonic issues arise. Something about splitting cranks....
Old 04-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #24
Iceman00

Quote:
Yep, I've been conversing back and forth with ATI, as they made Adam's. They don't have a "street" version (with A/C) and because it's larger, it would overdrive the waterpump and alternator. Don't know if I want to deal with all that... Plus, pretty pricey.
You're talking about a harmonic dampener like ATI and fluidamper make (I would check with fluidamper too if you can, I'll be in on a group buy as long as it's 'affordable')

I was talking about Underdrive pulleys, like what Ruff and Unorthodox Racing make (for the M54) and there made out of solid aluminum, lighter weight than stock. The down side is that it's said to accelerate engine wear, and can lead to harmonic issues (though none have been reported, typical internet talk)

A few E36 driver have them, and have nothing but glowing reviews...but I'd rather have an active damper if I could.

Last edited by Iceman00; 04-13-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #25
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
You're talking about a harmonic dampener like ATI and fluidamper make (I would check with fluidamper too if you can, I'll be in on a group buy as long as it's 'affordable')

I was talking about Underdrive pulleys, like what Ruff and Unorthodox Racing make (for the M54) and there made out of solid aluminum, lighter weight than stock. The down side is that it's said to accelerate engine wear, and can lead to harmonic issues (though none have been reported, typical internet talk)

A few E36 driver have them, and have nothing but glowing reviews...but I'd rather have an active damper if I could.
For the sake of discussion, it would make communication a lot more clear if the location of said pulley was included in the description. For example, crankshaft under-drive pulley, or water pump under-drive pulley.

ATI will build you whatever you want, and the price isn't that bad. Their production line is geared towards domestic V8s, so the scale is there to support good pricing. Honestly, price out a custom damper, then look at what they charge for an off the shelf SBC piece. It's pretty close.

If someone wanted a 5.5" OD damper with 2 - 6 rib serpentine drives, they can build it. It's just a mater of time and money.

Technically, they made me 2 dampers. I have another one NIB sitting on my parts shelf.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #26
///Orient3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
For the sake of discussion, it would make communication a lot more clear if the location of said pulley was included in the description. For example, crankshaft under-drive pulley, or water pump under-drive pulley.

ATI will build you whatever you want, and the price isn't that bad. Their production line is geared towards domestic V8s, so the scale is there to support good pricing. Honestly, price out a custom damper, then look at what they charge for an off the shelf SBC piece. It's pretty close.

If someone wanted a 5.5" OD damper with 2 - 6 rib serpentine drives, they can build it. It's just a mater of time and money.

Technically, they made me 2 dampers. I have another one NIB sitting on my parts shelf.
Adam, if I remember correctly, your damper did come with an "accessory" attachment? Presumably for an A/C add on...I can't say for sure, though, I don't remember more than something about an attachment.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:49 PM   #27
Iceman00

^ Go on....
Old 04-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #28
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Orient3 View Post
Adam, if I remember correctly, your damper did come with an "accessory" attachment? Presumably for an A/C add on...I can't say for sure, though, I don't remember more than something about an attachment.
Yes I do have a Mandrel drive attachment for the damper assembly. It can be configured with a wide range of pulley sizes, including stacking 2 or more together. (It's 5" long) Normally this is used to drive a dry sump pump, vacuum pump, or fuel pump on race engines. (Or a combination of all 3)
Old 04-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #29
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

BTW, nice work on the crank studs.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #30
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
tell me more about the clutch setup please. could the E35 M5 pressure plate work with that setup?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:10 PM   #31
hummermaniac88

My Ride: 320i
Wow this looks like a heck of a project! Hope this build sails smooth! Good luck and I'm looking forward for the finished engine!
Old 04-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #32
///Orient3

Quote:
BTW, nice work on the crank studs.
Thanks, that and the windage tray took some work, but other than that, I have been happy with the studs. The main studs came without torque specs (VAC, again) and Raceware sent me them in all of five minutes from phone call to email box. Dealing with them made me glad I purchased their product.

I might try talking to ATI, any chance you might PM or email me a name of somebody who might be particularly helpful there?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:05 AM   #33
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Orient3 View Post
Thanks, that and the windage tray took some work, but other than that, I have been happy with the studs. The main studs came without torque specs (VAC, again) and Raceware sent me them in all of five minutes from phone call to email box. Dealing with them made me glad I purchased their product.

I might try talking to ATI, any chance you might PM or email me a name of somebody who might be particularly helpful there?
I will be sourcing Raceware product directly in the future.

Contact at ATI is Rob Sappe.

rsappe@atiracing.com

A basic single belt drive damper will be in the $500-600 range depending on how you spec it. Lead time for me was 90 days on the first one which involved some engineering, and about 45 days on the second one, which was a copy of the first.

One cautionary note about the ATI damper is that you need to press fit it onto the crank. This will require a damper installation tool, which you'll need to modify by attaching a M54 crank bolt too. (Threads are different for BMW cranks) I think the tool + modifications cost me around $100.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:56 AM   #34
///Orient3

Quote:
I will be sourcing Raceware product directly in the future.
Yeah, I know what that's about, I'll be "editing" my sources in the future for the same reasons as you.

I'll likely give ATI a try, and I was aware of the installation tool, but everything comes at a cost, right?
Old 04-14-2010, 02:29 AM   #35
///Orient3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
tell me more about the clutch setup please. could the E35 M5 pressure plate work with that setup?
It's late, and I'm about to go to bed, but I tried to put the E34 M5 pressure plate on to the flywheel a couple of minutes ago, and the dowels are too large for the pressure plate. This wouldn't be impossible to modify, though, as the pressure plate and flywheel are the same diameter.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #36
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
thanks..
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #37
jblack03zhp

My Ride: 330i zhp
Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on his choice of clutch package?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
The difference being men don't make excuses to rationalize why it's okay. We do as we please. No fucks will be given. You ma'am, give a fuck.
jblack03zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:33 AM   #38
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
updates?
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote