E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alive & Kicking
Posts: 4,904
My Ride: F
The DEA Says No to Reforming Our Senseless Pot Laws

Government knows best though

Quote:
The agency rejects a petition to classify marijuana as no more dangerous than methamphetamine--and thus perpetuates a policy of hypocrisy

After five years of deliberation, Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) has officially rejected a petition that would have reclassified marijuana under the Federal Controlled Substance Act. The drug is currently listed on Schedule I, meaning that it is viewed as having "no acceptable medical use in treatment," and is therefore banned in the United States. The proposed change would have moved marijuana to Schedule II, making it available by prescription nationwide. That would have been good for patients and scientists, and it would have represented a major step toward resolving the hypocritical mess that characterizes our current laws on marijuana.

Despite many peoples' assumptions to the contrary, the current law does not ban scientific investigation into the harms and benefits of the drug, so moving marijuana to Schedule II won't lead to major changes in research activity. It's true that scientists studying marijuana must jump through multiple bureaucratic and regulatory hoops. But the same requirements apply to many other Schedule II substances. Nevertheless, dozens of scientists-myself included-have been engaged in such research for decades. That is how we know, for example, that the drug stimulates appetite in HIV-positive patients, which could be a lifesaver for someone suffering from AIDS wasting syndrome, and that marijuana is useful in the treatment of neuropathic pain, chronic pain, and spasticity due to multiple sclerosis.

It is therapeutic benefits such as these that have compelled citizens to vote repeatedly over the past two decades to legalize medical marijuana at the state level. Today, 24 states and the District of Columbia allow patients to use marijuana for specific medical conditions. And yet Federal law still technically forbids the use of medical marijuana. The inconsistency of Federal laws with these other programs and initiatives, and with the increasing number of studies demonstrating the medical usefulness of the substance, makes marijuana's Schedule I status seem like medical and/or governmental hypocrisy, undermining peoples' trust in the relevant federal agencies.

In fact, there is now a general sentiment among scientists that the failed war on drugs has biased the DEA against acknowledging any therapeutic potential of marijuana. The agency has been sitting on the rescheduling petition for half a decade, and has only just now responded. It is hard to avoid the impression that the DEA's leadership was stalling in hopes that the American public would forget about the petition. Recently, DEA commissioner Chuck Rosenberg described the very concept of medical marijuana as "a joke."

Perhaps it's also a joke that a law enforcement agency has the final word on a medical issue.

As a scientist and educator, I am worried that we have lost credibility with many young people and with those seeking treatments for a variety of medical conditions because our current scheduling of marijuana ignores the scientific and medical evidence. When we make decisions based on factors other than the available empirical evidence, we are less than objective, which means we are no longer acting as scientists.

As a result, I am further concerned that individuals most in need of our help and objective advice will reject other drug-related information from "official" sources, even when the information is accurate. This can contribute to patients being more susceptible to seeking quackery in lieu of proven medicine, which can put them at unnecessary health risks. It's time we lessened the outsized influence of a law enforcement agency on medical decisions and started to rebuild our credibility as scientists on the marijuana issue.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ess-pot-laws1/

Quote:
The Shafer Commission found in 1972 that cannabis was as safe as alcohol, and recommended ending prohibition in favor of a public health approach. But by then the Federal Bureau of Narcotics had been removed from the Treasury Department and merged into the U.S. Department of Justice-where Nixon's ally, Attorney General John Mitchell, placed cannabis in Schedule I in 1972; that same year he resigned to head Nixon's re-election committee. (He later stood trial in 1974 over the Watergate scandal and served 19 months of a prison sentence for conspiracy, perjury and obstruction of justice.] "You want to know what this was really all about?" Nixon aid John Ehrlichman told journalist Dan Baum in 1994, according to an article published in Harper's Magazine in 2016. "The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-on-marijuana/
__________________
"Man is the religious animal. He is the only religious animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion – several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat, if his theology isn’t straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother’s path to happiness and heaven."

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 08-13-2016 at 11:33 AM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 5,542
My Ride: Yukon
DEA unwilling to let go of their funding
__________________
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
pancakes
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Camelot
Posts: 86
My Ride: GTI, DRZ, Opel
I mean, technically, they're right if there is not enough scientific evidence to suggest a medical benefit of pot.

Are we arguing that the categorization is wrong or that the categories are wrong? Two very different arguments.
__________________

Last edited by pancakes; 08-13-2016 at 11:47 AM.
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #4
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 5,542
My Ride: Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakes View Post
I mean, technically, they're right if there is not enough scientific evidence to suggest a medical benefit of pot.

Are we arguing that the categorization is wrong or that the categories are wrong? Two very different arguments.
lol, yeah a plant is as dangerous as heroin. Give me a break. Canabanoids are given to toddlers to stop seizures with an amazing success rate; it has medicinal use.
__________________
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:01 PM   #5
pancakes
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Camelot
Posts: 86
My Ride: GTI, DRZ, Opel
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
lol, yeah a plant is as dangerous as heroin. Give me a break.
huh? No where did I suggest/imply that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Canabanoids are given to toddlers to stop seizures with an amazing success rate; it has medicinal use.
source?
__________________
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #6
MDydinanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 760
My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
lol, yeah a plant is as dangerous as heroin. Give me a break. Canabanoids are given to toddlers to stop seizures with an amazing success rate; it has medicinal use.

Want to know how I know you use pot?
MDydinanM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:18 PM   #7
GasKing
OEM ///Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tri-State
Posts: 786
My Ride: 1990 Yugo GVC
I've personally seen the amazing medicinal benefits of marijuana. Ima ride with cowmoo's posts in this thread. I usually lean conservative on most topics but our drug laws are archaic.
__________________


Long Island and NYC members that need fuel oil hit me up! $10 discount to all members.
GasKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #8
k2pilot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 340
My Ride: Z4MC & F56 JCW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakes View Post
huh? No where did I suggest/imply that.



source?
In its current legal status, cannabis is treated as an equal to heroin and other schedule 1 drugs.


I don't know in what ****ing planet they live on to argue the lack of medical benefits, even taken at face value, something that gives you the munchies (good for eating disorders), or a pain killer, has great utility. That's not even getting in to the very thoroughly documented tumor reduction or anti-seizure capabilities.


I don't even smoke, but seeing the amount of stupidity and unbearable pig-headedness of those cüntwads at the DEA makes my blood boil. I hope them all the worst.



Edit: For the source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlo..._web_(cannabis)

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/07/health...cal-marijuana/

__________________
Quote:
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go past." Douglas Adams

Last edited by k2pilot; 08-13-2016 at 12:23 PM.
k2pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:09 PM   #9
Zell
Registered User
 
Zell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: such united many state
Posts: 5,892
My Ride: so turbo wow
Lol, DEA
__________________
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:48 PM   #10
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alive & Kicking
Posts: 4,904
My Ride: F
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
I don't even smoke, but seeing the amount of stupidity and unbearable pig-headedness of those cüntwads at the DEA makes my blood boil. I hope them all the worst.
Figured you did for some reason. In the same boat myself but would probably take it up recreationally and smoke on occasion if legalized.
__________________
"Man is the religious animal. He is the only religious animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion – several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat, if his theology isn’t straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother’s path to happiness and heaven."

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 08-13-2016 at 01:49 PM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:03 PM   #11
pancakes
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Camelot
Posts: 86
My Ride: GTI, DRZ, Opel
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
In its current legal status, cannabis is treated as an equal to heroin and other schedule 1 drugs.
fair enough... didn't realize heroin was a schedule 1 drug also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
I don't know in what ****ing planet they live on to argue the lack of medical benefits, even taken at face value, something that gives you the munchies (good for eating disorders), or a pain killer, has great utility. That's not even getting in to the very thoroughly documented tumor reduction or anti-seizure capabilities.
ok, when you write an angry emotional vulgar rant... no, I'm not gonna bother with your links.
__________________
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #12
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Old Greg's Cavern
Posts: 12,097
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakes View Post
I mean, technically, they're right if there is not enough scientific evidence to suggest a medical benefit of pot.
Where have you been for the past couple of decades? It has plenty of medical uses. In the end, it doesn't matter if it has medical uses anyway. The fact is that it's practically benign.
__________________

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:50 PM   #13
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 335
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
this is a literal "thanks Obama"
__________________

Herbert Camacho '16

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." - Thomas Sowell
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:04 PM   #14
pancakes
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Camelot
Posts: 86
My Ride: GTI, DRZ, Opel
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Where have you been for the past couple of decades? It has plenty of medical uses. In the end, it doesn't matter if it has medical uses anyway. The fact is that it's practically benign.
Where have I been? Not really interested in the scientific studies about pot


soooo... do you have some evidence or are you just here to insult everyone who disagrees with you? I'm completely open to your views, but if you come with assertions, you better be able to back them up.
__________________
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:07 PM   #15
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 335
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Where have you been for the past couple of decades? It has plenty of medical uses. In the end, it doesn't matter if it has medical uses anyway. The fact is that it's practically benign.
I've seen studies to suggest otherwise, but it's no more dangerous than booze, cigarettes or the myriad of pharmas pushed on us 24-7. To act like weed is 100.00% harmless hurts your argument, though.
__________________

Herbert Camacho '16

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today." - Thomas Sowell
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:19 PM   #16
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 946
My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakes View Post
I mean, technically, they're right if there is not enough scientific evidence to suggest a medical benefit of pot.

Are we arguing that the categorization is wrong or that the categories are wrong? Two very different arguments.
I smoked pot once in my life. Don't really like it. Not a personal fan of it, and don't want my kids smoking it. Im in the "dont do drugs" camp.

Having said that, I am 100% pro legalized drugs, especially pot, and know for a fact that pot has medicinal use....and is recognized by countries leading medical research. Israel controls pot like the US controls Uranium, and yet, my 19 year old cousin that is on his second liver transplant gets prescribed pot by the Israeli government....which again, doesn't fvck around when it comes to drugs. There is absolutely a medical benefit to it, it is widely considered by doctors that actually care about their patients as some of the best pain management in existence, not to mention, the fact that it brings appetite which speeds recovery.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:22 PM   #17
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 946
My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Where have you been for the past couple of decades? It has plenty of medical uses. In the end, it doesn't matter if it has medical uses anyway. The fact is that it's practically benign.
ALso completely untrue. TOns and tons of proof that smoking tons of pot permanently affects the brain and not for the better. There is an argument on both sides.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:23 PM   #18
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 946
My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I've seen studies to suggest otherwise, but it's no more dangerous than booze, cigarettes or the myriad of pharmas pushed on us 24-7. To act like weed is 100.00% harmless hurts your argument, though.
Different danger....as far as death goes, not even close, booze and cigs are worse, but tobacco doesn't really do anything to the brain, and booze is temporary.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #19
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...
 
cowmoo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: FL
Posts: 5,542
My Ride: Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakes View Post
Not really interested in the scientific studies about pot
God forbid you educate yourself.
__________________
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #20
pancakes
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Camelot
Posts: 86
My Ride: GTI, DRZ, Opel
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
God forbid you educate yourself.
please enlighten us
__________________

Last edited by pancakes; 08-13-2016 at 03:44 PM.
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2016 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use