E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
MetallicCarrot

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Angry Bluetooth Retrofit will NOT enter pairing mode, possibly an EAS kit. Help! plz.

Hi all.

i have searched, and read, and tried.

I've tried every method that I know.

I've read the DIY installs.

I've watched the YouTube videos.

I have a 2005 330i E46 ZHP. It has a Bluetooth retrofit kit which I am told is from EAS. The phone is a G1, which can scan and find 3-4 BT devices in my office, so BT is working.

I've emailed Tom at EAS, who helpfully sent me a link to the instructions in their knowledge base, basically:

Business CD models:
1. Enable Bluetooth on your phone (this is phone-specific)
2. Press the R/T button on the steering wheel. The vehicle will ask you for the Bluetooth passkey. Enter the passkey that is located on the white label located on the Assist/Bluetooth module
3. The phone will pair with the vehicle and you will get the following message displayed on the phone: "BMWXXXX" (BMW & the last 5 digits of your VIN)

I've pulled the cupholders, there is a little button underthere attached to the wires.

I've held it for 3 seconds, then put the key into pos. 1. held another 3 seconds. "Sorry" comes over the speakers.

I've done the same and held it for 30+seconds. "Sorry".

I've repeated both steps using pos. 2 in the key. "Sorry" again.

I've held the pairing button and pressed the R/T button. "No phone" displays on the radio.

I've tried all of the above with the radio on and off. Same issues.

I've tried scanning for devices on my phone during the first 10 seconds after turning the key, to both positions, 1 and 2.

I've tried pressing and holding pair, turning the key, and letting go of the button and pressing it again. "Sorry."

I probably paired 100+ phones when I worked at BMW. Using radio controls, steering wheel buttons, and the factory button under the armrest. I even remember doing one with a button like mine that had been custom mounted behind the coinholder.

I am not getting BT Pairing, Bluetooth, or anything.

I get PHONE displayed, followed by "Sorry". when pairing button is pressed, and NO PHONE when R/T on wheel is pressed.

I need help here. I am at my wit's end and have been attempting this for 15-30 minutes at a time, several times per day, going on three days. Anyone seen this?

I have literally tried every method I found using search, including the ALL CAPS DIY INSTALL, wherever that one is. Nothing is working.

Someone please make a fool out of me and show me how effortless it is to search and find a process that works.
MetallicCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
MetallicCarrot

*sigh* I have not pulled the fuses. That is the next step.

Suggestions are welcome!

*EDIT: I also have the Pass Key from the phone card.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicCarrot View Post
*sigh* I have not pulled the fuses. That is the next step.

Suggestions are welcome!

*EDIT: I also have the Pass Key from the phone card.
Sometime the TCU is filled with paired phone. You may have to have a dealer or indie clear all pair phones out of the TCU, I have had to do this before. Depends on the custoemr if it s good customer and I am in a good mood I have done it for free

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Hi all.

i have searched, and read, and tried.

I've tried every method that I know.

I've read the DIY installs.

I've watched the YouTube videos.

I have a 2005 330i E46 ZHP. It has a Bluetooth retrofit kit which I am told is from EAS. The phone is a G1, which can scan and find 3-4 BT devices in my office, so BT is working.

I've emailed Tom at EAS, who helpfully sent me a link to the instructions in their knowledge base, basically:

Business CD models:
1. Enable Bluetooth on your phone (this is phone-specific)
2. Press the R/T button on the steering wheel. The vehicle will ask you for the Bluetooth passkey. Enter the passkey that is located on the white label located on the Assist/Bluetooth module
3. The phone will pair with the vehicle and you will get the following message displayed on the phone: "BMWXXXX" (BMW & the last 5 digits of your VIN)

I've pulled the cupholders, there is a little button underthere attached to the wires.

I've held it for 3 seconds, then put the key into pos. 1. held another 3 seconds. "Sorry" comes over the speakers.

I've done the same and held it for 30+seconds. "Sorry".

I've repeated both steps using pos. 2 in the key. "Sorry" again.

I've held the pairing button and pressed the R/T button. "No phone" displays on the radio.

I've tried all of the above with the radio on and off. Same issues.

I've tried scanning for devices on my phone during the first 10 seconds after turning the key, to both positions, 1 and 2.

I've tried pressing and holding pair, turning the key, and letting go of the button and pressing it again. "Sorry."

I probably paired 100+ phones when I worked at BMW. Using radio controls, steering wheel buttons, and the factory button under the armrest. I even remember doing one with a button like mine that had been custom mounted behind the coinholder.

I am not getting BT Pairing, Bluetooth, or anything.

I get PHONE displayed, followed by "Sorry". when pairing button is pressed, and NO PHONE when R/T on wheel is pressed.

I need help here. I am at my wit's end and have been attempting this for 15-30 minutes at a time, several times per day, going on three days. Anyone seen this?

I have literally tried every method I found using search, including the ALL CAPS DIY INSTALL, wherever that one is. Nothing is working.

Someone please make a fool out of me and show me how effortless it is to search and find a process that works.
The R/T button has nothing to do with the pairing process. You have a ULF based system, here's what you do:

1. Place your phone in pairing/discoverable mode
2. Press and hold on the pairing button for +5 seconds
3. While holding on the pairing button, turn key into POS2 and hold for another +5 seconds.
4. Release pairing button, your phone should discover the BMW's ULF and request the 4-digit passcode
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
MetallicCarrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The R/T button has nothing to do with the pairing process. You have a ULF based system, here's what you do:

1. Place your phone in pairing/discoverable mode
2. Press and hold on the pairing button for +5 seconds
3. While holding on the pairing button, turn key into POS2 and hold for another +5 seconds.
4. Release pairing button, your phone should discover the BMW's ULF and request the 4-digit passcode
Thanks for the input Tom! If you returned email to my cisco.com address, I stop receiving that one at 5:30 Eastern.

I just tried this, I got "System Off" over the speakers the first 3 times, then "Sorry". If you are confident this is the correct method, I'll try it a few hundred more times. I don't know what else to do.

I also tried pulling the fuses (as I read in another thread) for 30 seconds and re-inserting. They are #7 and #39 on my car, both 5 ampers. No success.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Think the fuses are #7 & #40??

If you hold the R/T button for 5 of more seconds and you hear a voice prompt of some sort, then this is the Voice Dialing feature.

You may need to forget everything you ever read about BMW and Bluetooth. Way too many options and a lot of the documentation is out of date.

I found on my '06 Vert, that I had the Bluetooth module locked up somehow by pushing the R/T button. Had to pull fuses to for at least 30 seconds then unit played nice.

Turns out on my '06 Vert, pairing mode is automatic for the first 2 minutes when the key is turned on. No buttons to push, they just cause problems.

Check on fuse #40 and make sure you pull that, otherwise just disconnect the battery. I had to do this once when the fuse trick did not work.

I am convinced BMW Bluetooth is possessed!!!
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
MetallicCarrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Think the fuses are #7 & #40??

If you hold the R/T button for 5 of more seconds and you hear a voice prompt of some sort, then this is the Voice Dialing feature.

You may need to forget everything you ever read about BMW and Bluetooth. Way too many options and a lot of the documentation is out of date.

I found on my '06 Vert, that I had the Bluetooth module locked up somehow by pushing the R/T button. Had to pull fuses to for at least 30 seconds then unit played nice.

Turns out on my '06 Vert, pairing mode is automatic for the first 2 minutes when the key is turned on. No buttons to push, they just cause problems.

Check on fuse #40 and make sure you pull that, otherwise just disconnect the battery. I had to do this once when the fuse trick did not work.

I am convinced BMW Bluetooth is possessed!!!
Pulled #40, left it out for 35 seconds. Then went through Tom@EAS's process. "Sorry". bah.

I held down R/T for 5 seconds. No voice prompt. I have gotten it before, even having it ask me for a name, which I gave it, and a number, which I gave it and it confirmed back to me, to which it replied "Number Added". Which it didn't really do.

One change this time... When I let go of the Pairing button after about 10 seconds, it said "Sorry" or "Phone Off", don't recall, then said, "Help is available... Say Help Phone, or Help [blah]" to which I immediately yelled "HELP PHONE!" repeately while turning down the radio. Never launched into Help. I thought maybe I could get it into pairing mode with a help prompt. Longshot I know.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, keep em coming. I am bobo the circus monkey, willing to jump through hoops at the request of the internet.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #8
jfoj

Pull both #7 & #40 for at least 1 minute. Edit, there is one 5 Amp fuse and one 30 Amp fuse as I recall, but the battery will reset everything for sure. Also if you never disconnected the battery when adding the module, then disconnect the battery just for good luck!

You mention a pairing button. Are you referring to the T/R button?? If so, DO NOT PUSH THIS DOWN.

Try just turning the key on so the radio comes on and start the pairing process on you phone. Do not push any buttons on the car. There were some changes between 04-06, so I am not sure what you have, but most of the newer cars do not have a requirement for a pairing button, they go into pairing mode automatically when the car is turned on for 2 minutes.

If nothing work, disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes and try again.

Do not worry about the voice prompts, you will not get any during pairing mode. But the fact you were getting Voice Dialing prompts is good as it means you have a Bluetooth module.

Again, the only buttons to push are on your phone, not the car. Does your phone see the car when searching for Bluetooth devices. If so, you are close, however, if the module is hung, you cannot pair the unit. Also did you find the pairing code on the module.

Good luck, you can hang the module by pushing the R/T button at the wrong time or for too long! Been in the same boat as you!

Last edited by jfoj; 04-14-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
MetallicCarrot

jfoj, I appreciate the info.

06 with a factory TCU does go into pairing mode by itself.

As Tom said, I apparently have a ULF system, a retrofit kit per the previous owner, with a pairing button.

To see what I mean, check http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=bluetooth+eas
and scroll down to this pic:

a little over halfway down. I have this type of aftermarket button (but mine is red). I do not know if it is the same kit. What I DO know is that no instructions, including the ones at the end of that thread, put this car into pairing mode, that I can see.

Looks like I will be disconning the battery soon. Thanks for the suggestions, but we may need to regroup on the pairing procedure as my system is way different from yours. On my Fuse chart, it has 7 and 39 as phone. Does yours say 7 and 40? I have no trouble doing 7, 39, and 40, fwiw... Just curious as I am trying any and every suggestion at this point.

Edit: Also, no the phone does not see the car.

It is a G1, that does see every Lenovo laptop in the office with Bluetooth (sometimes 4 at a time!), so I know the phone BT is working.

Last edited by MetallicCarrot; 04-14-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:

As Tom said, I apparently have a ULF system, a retrofit kit per the previous owner, with a pairing button.

a little over halfway down. I have this type of aftermarket button (but mine is red). I do not know if it is the same kit. What I DO know is that no instructions, including the ones at the end of that thread, put this car into pairing mode, that I can see.

Looks like I will be disconning the battery soon. Thanks for the suggestions, but we may need to regroup on the pairing procedure as my system is way different from yours. On my Fuse chart, it has 7 and 39 as phone. Does yours say 7 and 40? I have no trouble doing 7, 39, and 40, fwiw... Just curious as I am trying any and every suggestion at this point.

It is a G1, that does see every Lenovo laptop in the office with Bluetooth (sometimes 4 at a time!), so I know the phone BT is working.
did you read my thread i think your answer is there

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
MetallicCarrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
did you read my thread i think your answer is there
Seth I did read your post. Sorry I didn't address it.

That idea is present in my mind, but unfortunately working two jobs I'm trying to exhaust all options before having to take time to take it in for a TCU reset.

I'm pretty sure the TCU only had 2 phones paired to it. In 3 years of working BMW service I never heard about a TCU that had to be cleared before a phone would pair. I certainly believe you though, as there were bluetooth repairs that were not explicitly explained step-by-step to me.

Is there no way to reset the TCU without a DIS tester or some other dealer tool?

Last edited by MetallicCarrot; 04-14-2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: i before e
Old 04-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #12
mitfa911

My Ride: 2001 330 CIc
Which generation tcu do you have? I just retrofited BMW bluetooth with the latest TCU and my IPhone pairs as soon as I get in the car. No need for a pairing button. I have a 2001 330 CIc.
mitfa911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:56 PM   #13
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:

Do you have another phone to pair with just to verify the system is working properly?
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:12 AM   #14
jfoj

I would try disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes and see what happens. My '06 Vert is an E46 just in case it makes a difference. I have BMW assist and the car is wired for a phone, but I have not used any of the phone wiring and have no pairing button either factor or otherwise.

My car goes into pairing mode for the first 2 minutes once the car is stated. I have at least 2 phones paired for now. Only 1 time since I sorted the car out has the ULF gone stupid and at that time, pulling the fuses did not work, I had to pull the battery cable. Not sure what is going on, but I had a few other problems and pulling the fuses did resolve the issue each time before the battery cable time.

I do know for a fact that one of the 2 fuse is a 20 or 30 Amp fuse, the other is a 5 Amp fuse.

JBEurotech may be correct on the clearing, however, if you cannot see the Bluetooth module on your phone, I would worry about clearing the module yet? I also assume clearing the module may reset it is someway as well??

Try a laptop or different phone to see of either can at least see your car broadcasting via Bluetooth. If the car does not broadcast, whether or not you push a pairing button, you will never be able to pair a phone.

So you need to see what it take to get your cars Bluetooth module to broadcast and have something to pick it up.

Good luck!

Helpful link here, however, the instructions do not agree with my car, but it may be useful for some ideas.

http://www.bimmernav.com/bmw_e46_blu..._retrofit.html
Old 04-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #15
MetallicCarrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitfa911 View Post
Which generation tcu do you have? I just retrofited BMW bluetooth with the latest TCU and my IPhone pairs as soon as I get in the car. No need for a pairing button. I have a 2001 330 CIc.
I will look check the TCU today and post the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Do you have another phone to pair with just to verify the system is working properly?
Errr. I do have a Sprint RAZR that was paired with my Z4 in 2007-2008, I could try that tomorrow to see if it sees the car.

I should point out that my current phone, HTC G1 finds bluetooth devices everywhere as soon as bluetooth is activated or if a manual scan is started. It just doesn't find the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
I would try disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes and see what happens. My '06 Vert is an E46 just in case it makes a difference. I have BMW assist and the car is wired for a phone, but I have not used any of the phone wiring and have no pairing button either factor or otherwise.

My car goes into pairing mode for the first 2 minutes once the car is stated. I have at least 2 phones paired for now. Only 1 time since I sorted the car out has the ULF gone stupid and at that time, pulling the fuses did not work, I had to pull the battery cable. Not sure what is going on, but I had a few other problems and pulling the fuses did resolve the issue each time before the battery cable time.

I do know for a fact that one of the 2 fuse is a 20 or 30 Amp fuse, the other is a 5 Amp fuse.

JBEurotech may be correct on the clearing, however, if you cannot see the Bluetooth module on your phone, I would worry about clearing the module yet? I also assume clearing the module may reset it is someway as well??

Try a laptop or different phone to see of either can at least see your car broadcasting via Bluetooth. If the car does not broadcast, whether or not you push a pairing button, you will never be able to pair a phone.

So you need to see what it take to get your cars Bluetooth module to broadcast and have something to pick it up.

Good luck!

Helpful link here, however, the instructions do not agree with my car, but it may be useful for some ideas.

http://www.bimmernav.com/bmw_e46_blu..._retrofit.html
I have checked the bimmernav site, and attempted the pairing instructions that link here: http://www.bimmernav.com/OwnersManualBluetooth.pdf

I also pulled the battery cable for 6+ minutes this morning and reconnected. After reconnecting, I attempted Tom's method and it failed again. One audible beep, then silence. Nothing on phone, then after a minute or two, "System Off" through the speakers. I did not mess with the fuses since I reset the batt.

The phone never finds the bluetooth i the car. I cannot recall from my time at BMW, but I thought you could only SEE the BMWXXXXX device if it was in pairing mode. The difficulty I am having is getting the unit into pairing mode so the phone can see it, I can choose it, and enter the PK off the card.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #16
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

SI B 84 09 06
Phone, Navigation Systems

October 2007
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B84 09 06 dated April 2006.

[NEW] designates changes to this revision
SUBJECT
Bluetooth½ Inoperative, TCU FC # A379 or 79

MODEL
E46 (3 Series) with Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW AssistÖ (SA 639) from 9/04 production (325i/iA from 10/04 production)

E53 (X5) with Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW Assist (SA 639) from 10/04 production

E60, E61 (5 Series) from 9/04 production E63, E64 (6 Series) from 9/04 production E65, E66 (7 Series) from 3/05 production

E70 (X5) with Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW Assist (SA639)

E83 (X3) with Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW Assist (SA639) from 9/04 production

E85, E86 (Z4) with Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW Assist (SA639) from 10/04 production

E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series) with Premium Package (ZPP) or BMW Assist (SA639)
SITUATION
An approved Bluetooth½ enabled handset does not connect/bond to the vehicle.

The Telematics Control Unit (TCU) has one of the following fault codes stored in fault memory:
^ A379 (Error in Bluetooth-Interface)

^ 79 (Error in Bluetooth-Interface)

CAUSE
Conflict between handset and TCU.

COMPATIBLE HANDSET INFORMATION:
Before the complaint can be addressed, the particular handset must be verified for compatibility. On vehicles equipped with BMW Assisttrade; with Bluetoothreg; wireless technology, confirm whether or not the phone is compatible. Visit www.bmwusa.com/bluetooth for a list of handsets that have passed BMW testing for compatibility. Note the following disclaimer on this web site:

^ "This list is provided for reference only. The mobile phones listed here have passed compatibility tests as of the date of testing and meet or exceed minimum standards established by BMW. The list is not a warranty for phone performance or functionality. BMW makes no guarantees or warrantees as to the performance of each phone while connected to your BMW via Bluetooth Wireless Technology. Furthermore, software releases by BMW, the phone supplier or the wireless carrier dated after testing might alter compatibly results. While many phones are offered with Bluetooth Wireless Technology, not all phones support the necessary profiles to work with your BMW. BMW does not guarantee availability or functionality with all wireless carriers. Functions such as synchronizing the address book and transferring a call into or out of the vehicle may function differently from phone to phone".

[NEW] PROCEDURE
In case of a customer complaint on I/K-bus vehicle (E.g. E46, E53, E83, E85, etc.):

1. Verify the customer's complaint.

2. Perform a short test using BMW diagnostic tools using DIS software V51 or higher.

3. Perform test module B8400_00123 for the Bluetooth antenna. Does the Bluetooth antenna circuit pass the test module?

^ If no, diagnose and repair the Bluetooth antenna circuit. Then retest the system for the customer's complaint.

^ If yes, proceed to step 4.

4. Delete the paired devices from the handset.

5. Delete the paired devices from the TCU.

^ Select 'Control Unit functions'

^ Select the 'TCU'

^ Select 'keypad handsetBluetooth mobile'

^ Select 'number of Bluetooth devices' and press 'Display'

^ The number of paired devices will be displayed (This is the total number of devices that have been previously paired to the vehicle)

^ Select 'Delete list of Bluetooth devices' and press 'Activate'

^ Select 'number of Bluetooth devices' and press 'Display' (This should now display '0')

^ Turn the ignition off for two minutes

6. Pair a known good (reference) compatible handset to the vehicle following the procedure outlined in SI B84 13 04 (BMW Assist with Integrated Bluetooth).

^ If the known good (reference) handset does NOT pair to the vehicle, proceed to step 8.

^ If the handset pairs to the vehicle, allow the phone book to complete downloading.

7. Place a phone call using the vehicle controls. Does the system operative correctly?

^ If yes, pair the customer's compatible handset and retest the system for the customer's complaint.

^ If no, continue normal diagnosis. This service information bulletin is not relative for the customer's complaint.

8. Does the TCU have fault code # 79 (Error in Bluetooth-Interface) stored in fault memory?

^ If no, continue normal diagnosis. This service information bulletin is not relative for the customer's complaint.

^ If yes, check the fault frequency and note down the number of times the error occurred. Work through the test module as outlined in steps 9, 10 and 11.

9. Clear the fault and reference the below information about fault code 79.

^ Fault code 79 is an erroneous fault unless it is currently present.

^ The fault is only relative if it occurred more then 15 times.

10. After delete the fault. Again, try to pair the customer's handset to the vehicle.

^ If the handset does not pair to the vehicle, proceed to step 11.

^ If the handset pairs correctly to the vehicle and the system operates correctly, release the vehicle back to the customer.

11. Pair a known good (reference) compatible handset with the vehicle following the procedure outlined in SI B84 13 04 (BMW Assist with Integrated Bluetooth).

^ If the known good (reference) handset does NOT pair to the vehicle, proceed to step 12.

^ If the handset pairs to the vehicle, allow the phone book to complete downloading.

12. Place a phone call using the vehicle controls. Does the system operative correctly?

^ If yes, pair the customer's compatible handset and retest the system.

13. If the handset still does not pair to the vehicle, the TCU is defective. Refer to the "TCU REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE" section of this bulletin.

In case of a customer complaint on a MOST-bus vehicle (E.g. E60, E63, E65, E70, E90, etc.):
1. Verify the customer's complaint.

2. Delete the paired devices following "PROCEDURE - DELETING PAIRED DEVICES" section of this bulletin.

3. Turn the ignition off for four (4) minutes.

4. Pair a known good (reference) compatible handset to the vehicle following the procedure outlined in SI B84 13 04 (BMW Assist with Integrated Bluetooth).

^ If the known good (reference) handset does NOT pair to the vehicle, proceed to step 6.

5. Place a phone call using the vehicle controls. Does the system operative correctly?

^ If yes, pair the customer's compatible handset to the vehicle. Then retest the system for the customer's complaint.

6. Perform a short test using BMW diagnostic tools using DIS software V51 or higher.

7. Perform test module B8400_00123 for the Bluetooth antenna. Does the Bluetooth antenna circuit pass the test module?

^ If no, diagnose and repair the Bluetooth antenna circuit. Then retest the system for the customer's complaint.

^ If yes, proceed to step 8.

8. Does the TCU have fault code # A379 (Error in Bluetooth-Interface) stored in fault memory?

^ If yes, check the fault frequency and note down the number of times the error occurred. Work through the test module as outlined in steps 9, 10 and 11.

9. Clear the fault and reference the below information about fault code 79.

^ Fault code A379 is an erroneous fault unless it is currently present.

^ The fault is only relative if it occurred more then 15 times.

10. After delete the fault. Again, try to pair the customer's handset to the vehicle.

^ If the handset does not pair to the vehicle, proceed to step 11.

^ If the handset pairs correctly to the vehicle and the system operates correctly, release the vehicle back to the customer.

11. Pair a known good (reference) compatible handset with the vehicle following the procedure outlined in SI B84 13 04 (BMW Assist with Integrated Bluetooth).

^ If the known good (reference) handset does NOT pair to the vehicle, proceed to step 13.

^ If the handset pairs to the vehicle, allow the phone book to complete downloading. Proceed to step 12.

12. Place a phone call using the vehicle controls. Does the system operative correctly?

^ If yes, pair the customer's compatible handset and retest the system.

13. If the handset still does not pair to the vehicle, the TCU is defective. Refer to the "TCU REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE" section of this bulletin.

[NEW] PROCEDURE - DELETING PAIRED DEVICES

Deleting paired devices on MOST-bus vehicles with a CD/CID (E.g. E60, E63, E65, E70, E90, etc.)

1. Turn the key on.

2. Press the "Menu" button and ensure that the Central Information Display (CID) is set to the basic menu screen.

3. Press down briefly on the controller to enter the i menu.

4. Scroll down to the "Communication settings" and select.

5. Select "Bluetooth" and press the controller.

6. Select "Phone" and press the controller.

7. "Bluetooth connectable in this menu" is displayed along with a list of previously paired devices.

8. One at a time, select each handset listed in the device list and press down on the controller. A pop up menu will be displayed asking if you want to delete the device. Select "yes".

9. Turn the ignition off and wait for the MOST-bus to enter sleep mode (approximately 4 minutes).

10. Delete all Bluetooth devices from the handset's Bluetooth device list. Refer to the handset's owner manual or the handset manufacturer's website for details on how to perform this procedure.

Deleting paired devices on MOST-bus vehicles with a RAD2 (E.g. E90, E91, E92, E93)

1. Turn the key on.

2. Press the "MENU" button.

3. Turn right knob to highlight "Phone".

4. Press the function button under "Phone".

5. "Searching for paired devices" is displayed.

6. Press the function button under "BT".

7. Using the right knob, select each device from the previous paired device list and then press the function button under "DELETE".

8. Turn the ignition off and wait for the MOST-bus to enter sleep mode (approximately 4 minutes).

9. Delete all Bluetooth devices from the handset's Bluetooth device list. Refer to the handset's owner manual or the handset manufacturer's website for details on how to perform this procedure.

[NEW] TCU REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE
1. The route cause of the problem is under analysis, please refer to SI B84 23 05 (Enhanced Support for BMW Assist Telematics Control Unit (TCU) with Bluetooth & CPT9000 Phone Systems) prior to replacing the TCU.

2. Refer to TIS (RA 84 11...) for the TCU replacement procedure.

3. Before installing the new TCU, remove one copy of the Electronic Serial Number (ESN) label and place it on the repair order for reference during warranty claim entry. You will be asked for the new TCU "ESN" when submitting a claim via DCSnet. Refer to SI B01 10 05 for more details.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 04-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #17
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

I have gone through this many times. I would bet car has had to many phones paired to it in its life. Later Most cars you can clear through I-drive early ones needed the test equipment. You will drive yourself madd trying to figure this out. I would go to the dealer or a GOOD indy and give him the info in the above post

GL

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 04-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #18
MetallicCarrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
I have gone through this many times. I would bet car has had to many phones paired to it in its life. Later Most cars you can clear through I-drive early ones needed the test equipment. You will drive yourself madd trying to figure this out. I would go to the dealer or a GOOD indy and give him the info in the above post

GL
Argh. Thanks for the info Seth.

I know several BMW techs who will wipe it out for me. The trouble is getting to them. Project on hold until next week. I will report the results.

--J.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #19
jfoj

I am sure Seth from JB is onto something, he has clearly been there at least once before.

I have played with a few IDrive cars and you can delete phone from the IDrive unit easily. Too bad the older units do not even have the capability to clear them with a reset button of some sort, however, having a correct scan/coding tool will allow you to clear the module and also read the pairing code as well.

Make sure you also put your phone in discoverable mode as well, not hidden.

Not sure how BMW decided to broadcast its Bluetooth, but who knows, maybe it only broadcasts when it detects a Bluetooth device??

I have 2 phones paired with my '06 Vert and they work fine, it is just unclear as to if there is a priority to a specific phone. I have had problems when my wife and I are in the driveway moving cars or leaving at the same time, sometimes the BMW locks on the wrong phone. Seems like once the car is no longer in range of the currently locked phone it does drop back and find the other one??

I am still convinced that these units are somewhat possessed. I cannot believe that he problem is a compatibility issue with your phone as Bluetooth should be Bluetooth. I finally realized there were problems with the car once I attempted to pair a 2nd phone that I had paired with many other items.

Keep in mind, what ever you do, you may still need to disconnect the battery or pull the fuses from time to time. Since Oct I have to pull the fuses 2-3 times when the unit did not respond. I think having 2 phones paired that the unit can lock onto easily can be an issue?

Hope you can get the unit squared away.

Tags
bluetooth, bt pairing, pairing, phone