E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #1
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Long Island School sued for racial harassment

http://dailycaller.com/2016/04/14/wh...sment-lawsuit/
White Student Settles School Racial Harassment Lawsuit
Quote:
Punched, hit with a chair and called “cracker” and “white boy” by students at his predominantly black and Latino Long Island high school, 23-year-old Giovanni Micheli was instructed by educators to just suck it up.

Instead, Micheli sued the Brentwood School District in federal court in 2010.

Tuesday morning, on day two of his trial, the district settled with him, the New York Post reports. News reports said the settlement was confidential. But Brentwood School District Superintendent Levi McIntyre told the Washington Gadfly Wednesday night that he believed it was for $90,000.

What happened?

Settlements on the eve of trials are common but rare once the proceedings are underway. A veteran litigator who did not want to be named tells the Washington Gadfly that it seems unlikely the School District was embarrassed into suddenly settling.

“It’s not that the kid testified and made the jury cry — or that he testified and was terrible. It’s not obvious what might have changed from two days earlier,” explained the litigator. “Perhaps the school district’s offer went up. Perhaps the plaintiff’s demand went down. Those things often happen just before trial, and maybe the negotiations just took a bit longer than usual.”

In his opening statement Monday Micheli’s lawyer, Wayne Schaefer argued that whites can suffer discrimination also.

“Giovanni was a minority because he was Caucasian [at Brentwood High School],” he argued. “This case is about discrimination against a minority student. … Our claim is that there was deliberate indifference because he was a Caucasian student complaining in a district where Caucasians are a minority.”

When Micheli complained about the alleged abuse he was told by school officials, mostly white, to just “project more self-confidence,” Schaeffer told jurors.

His parents asked for a transfer but were told, “If we do that for him, we would have to do that for all the white children.”

The students who beat him, identified as black and thin, were apparently never disciplined.

School attorney Jack Shields countered that trying to nail the perps would have been racist. “Had the district rounded up all African-American students who were thin, we’d be here for another reason.”

Saying he suffered from depression and anxiety, Micheli eventually transferred to a parochial school. His 2010 lawsuit, charging violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act and Disabilities in Education Act sought a rather modest $200,000 in damages.

Brentwood Superintendent Levi McIntyre declined to say what measures the district would take to ensure white students are not harassed in the future.
GasKing should know about this school, I think it's somewhat near where he lives. Total craphole, good to see them pay the piper.

Some interesting takeaways, though.

Firstly, this should serve as food for thought for the Zell types who like to fall back on "its so hard being white" comments dismissing any sort of complaints arising from white people.

Secondly, it seems to suggest that the majority/minority dynamic is perhaps the controlling factor in many of these situations (versus prejudice based upon skin color).

Herbert Camacho '16

"Every age has its peculiar folly: Some scheme, project, or fantasy into which it plunges, spurred on by the love of gain, the necessity of excitement, or the force of imitation." - Charles Mackay Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (1841)
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:54 AM   #2
HBizzo88

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
90k? Probably would've gotten at least a mil if he were black.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
Act of God

I, too, was shocked at the number. He only sued for 200k, though, so he was capped at that to begin with. Not a good bargaining maneuver.

Herbert Camacho '16

"Every age has its peculiar folly: Some scheme, project, or fantasy into which it plunges, spurred on by the love of gain, the necessity of excitement, or the force of imitation." - Charles Mackay Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (1841)
Old 04-23-2016, 10:49 AM   #4
bimmerfan08

My Ride: F
It's so hard being a white male.
"In any system with finite resources and infinite expansion of population—like your business, or like all of humanity—innovation is essential for not only success but also survival. The innovators are our leaders. You cannot separate the two. Whether it is by thought, technology or organization, innovation is our only hope to solve our challenges."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
atinybug

My Ride: e92 335i
Quote:
23-year-old Giovanni Micheli
Quote:
at Brentwood High School
wtf
atinybug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #6
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Long Island School sued for racial harassment

Quote:
Originally Posted by atinybug View Post
wtf

So this happened in 2010, so he would be older by now and out of high school. Right? So that would make him 17 at the time.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 04-23-2016 at 11:16 AM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:28 AM   #7
atinybug

My Ride: e92 335i
ah, yea makes sense
atinybug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #8
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon
AOG do you actively look for this kind of stuff in your free time?

flickher

Want something 3D printed? PM me

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #9
bimmerfan08

My Ride: F
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
We wonder the same thing over in Poli.
"In any system with finite resources and infinite expansion of population—like your business, or like all of humanity—innovation is essential for not only success but also survival. The innovators are our leaders. You cannot separate the two. Whether it is by thought, technology or organization, innovation is our only hope to solve our challenges."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:51 PM   #10
Act of God

Quote:
it's local news

Herbert Camacho '16

Old 04-23-2016, 03:01 PM   #11
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Well, eventually, stuff like this leads to while flight...and then the area will cry racism because only blacks and minorities live there with sh!tty schools.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:00 PM   #12
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2007 Ford Edge
Quote:
He is signed up for the newsletter....

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese
BMWCCA# 147961

Last edited by Brucifer325; 04-23-2016 at 05:00 PM.
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #13
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Student should have had a good sit down with the teachers and told them how to do their jobs.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:50 PM   #14
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer325 View Post
He is signed up for the newsletter....
I deal with this area regularly for work, tons of illegals

Herbert Camacho '16

Old 04-23-2016, 08:04 PM   #15
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Well, eventually, stuff like this leads to while flight...and then the area will cry racism because only blacks and minorities live there with sh!tty schools.

See Baltimore
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:21 PM   #16
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
See Baltimore
Then when the white money comes back they protest gentrification

Herbert Camacho '16

Old 04-23-2016, 08:39 PM   #17
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Then when the white money comes back they protest gentrification
I saw a few SJWs on facebook cry about the "gentrification" of some areas in harlem and brooklyn...so to troll, I asked them what that word meant...they answered in their typical SJW bs, so I replied "oh, you mean people with money come in and make a sh!thole nice" and they almost had a stroke.

Long Island has a serious problem with illegals and housing...Im not surprised you do a lot of work there.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #18
Act of God

They all come here, get inured, and try to hit the lottery. Scum of the earth.

Herbert Camacho '16

Old 04-24-2016, 09:17 AM   #19
Vinnie Vega

My Ride: 0032870Vette70Velle
brentwood sucks so bad.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:21 AM   #20
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Vega View Post
brentwood sucks so bad.
I can't think of any towns that have turned into illegal immigrant hotbeds that don't suck.

Herbert Camacho '16