E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Swing and Miss: Redskins ban ruled unconstitutional

http://www.mrctv.org/blog/washington...constitutional
Provision Used To Revoke Washington Redskins' Trademark Ruled Unconstitutional
Quote:
Today, the Federal Circuit ruled the federal government's ban on "disparaging" trademark registrations is unconstitutional. This strikes down a provision that was used to revoke the trademark registrations of the Washington Redskins.

Ironically, this ruling did not come as a result of legal proceedings initiated by the NFL franchise. It came from a case filed by a band called "The Slants," which had their trademark request rejected based on grounds that it was offensive to Asian-Americans. According to the ruling:

“Many of the marks rejected as disparaging convey hurtful speech that harms members of oft-stigmatized communities,” the appeals court wrote. “But the First Amendment protects even hurtful speech.”

“The government cannot refuse to register disparaging marks because it disapproves of the expressive messages conveyed by the marks,” the court wrote.

Section 2a is the same provision cited by the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board in June 2014 when it revoked the Washington football team's trademark registrations. That ruling was upheld by a federal judge this summer, and is currently on appeal to the Fourth Circuit.

This ruling may end a battle that has been going on for decades. Since this case did not specifically address the Redskins case, there may be some more legal proceedigns yet to come. The Supreme Court could get involved as well.

The Redskins case picked up steam in July when a federal judge ordered the cancellation of the trademark.

U.S. District Judge Gerald Bruce Lee’s decision affirmed an earlier ruling by the federal Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Last year, the appeal board declared in a 2-to-1 vote that the team’s moniker is offensive to Native Americans and therefore ineligible for federal trademark protection under the Lanham Act, which bars protection for names that “may disparage” or bring people into contempt or disrepute.

Lee agreed with that assessment, rejecting the team’s argument that the vast majority of Native Americans had no objection to the name when the trademarks were granted between 1967 and 1990. Instead, the judge questioned why the team ever chose the name, pointing out in his ruling that Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary defined the word as “often contemptuous” in 1898, “seventy years prior to the registration of the first Redskins Mark.”
Well who could have saw that one coming! Oh yea, everyone

Herbert Camacho '16

"Every age has its peculiar folly: Some scheme, project, or fantasy into which it plunges, spurred on by the love of gain, the necessity of excitement, or the force of imitation." - Charles Mackay Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (1841)
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #2
Act of God

maybe liberal white foggots should **** for once

https://www.washingtonpost.com/page/....xml?tid=a_inl
Most Native Americans not offended by the Washington Redskins' name
Quote:
New poll finds 9 in 10 Native Americans aren't offended by Redskins name
Yes, let's continue to let the superior white liberals speak for every minority group

Herbert Camacho '16

"Every age has its peculiar folly: Some scheme, project, or fantasy into which it plunges, spurred on by the love of gain, the necessity of excitement, or the force of imitation." - Charles Mackay Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds (1841)
Old 05-19-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #4
badfast

My Ride: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
maybe liberal white foggots should **** for once

https://www.washingtonpost.com/page/....xml?tid=a_inl
Most Native Americans not offended by the Washington Redskins' name

Yes, let's continue to let the superior white liberals speak for every minority group
Is this a trigger for you?
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Is this a trigger for you?
As a native american, I am not offended by the Washington Redskins.

Herbert Camacho '16

Old 05-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #6
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
a lot of upper class , white , bored students are though.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #7
HBizzo88

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
Didn't Native Americans refer to themselves as "Redmen" back in the colonial era?
Old 05-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #8
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post

Herbert Camacho '16

Old 05-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #9
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
Quote:
As a native of America and a fan of the Washington Redskins, I am offended by their play in recent years.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:25 AM   #10
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
As a native of America and a fan of the Washington Redskins, I am offended by their play in recent years.
As a native American jets fan, I feel your pain. I truly do. I also think the Jets name is offensive to Muslim terrorists

Herbert Camacho '16

Old 05-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #11
mistrzmiasta

i think calling american football football is offensive to real football (and sports in general) and i think the team that wins the superbowl and call themselves WORLD champs is offensive to the world.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #12
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

My Ride: Currently a blonde!
Glad this got settled.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:47 AM   #13
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:54 AM   #14
mistrzmiasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Glad this got settled.
now let's move on to blake lively quoting a sir mix a lot song.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:14 PM   #15
IdahoToyo

Quote:
now let's move on to blake lively quoting a sir mix a lot song.
Saw that the other day YAYYYYY for getting offended about offending offenders!

She's got a nice bottom. While looking up that post just saw Sir Mix-A-Lot supports what she had to say.

Quote:
“I don’t think she’d wear that dress if she thought that booty is horrible — and to me, it ain’t horrible,” Mix-A-Lot told the New York Daily News, saying he wrote the song for curvy women of all ethnicities.
Da booty pic for reference

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:48 PM   #16
Act of God

wtf how is that a controversy?

Herbert Camacho '16

Old 05-20-2016, 02:11 PM   #17
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: E60M
Quote:

How did this outrage not appear in your Facebook feed?
Old 05-20-2016, 02:28 PM   #18
IdahoToyo

Quote:
Because she's not black...She's is not allowed to have a butt that extends more than 2.75 inches beyond the small of her back. We got the memorandum at our monthly meetings about half a year ago.

She got a big booty so I call her Big Booty.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:59 PM   #19
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:

Lol. Touché
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:30 PM   #20
Act of God

CuckSPN

http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/20/es...g-about-video/

Cliffs: White pieces of garbage tell native Americans that they just don't understand and arent smart enough to be offended

yup

Herbert Camacho '16