E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #221
ara

My Ride: R35 GTR/99 Acura RL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk_circus View Post
are those kenda small block 8 tires? Make sure you dont ride through anything loose... or loose and wet
What kind of fork is that?
i won't be doing loose or wet for a while until i can advance my skills.

Frame
Trail SL 29, double butted, mechanically formed, 6061 alloy
Fork
RST Deuce 29'er, 80mm
RearShock
N/A
Rims
Maddux DC3.0 Disc 29
Hubs
Shimano HB-M475, 32 hole front,
Spokes
Stainless 15g
Tires
Kenda Small Block Eight, 29 x 2.1" Wire
Pedals
VP-577 Platform
Crank
Shimano FC-M442-8, 44/32/22
CrankOption1
N/A
CrankOption2
N/A
BottomBracket
Shimano BB-ES25
Chain
KMC HG53 9-speed
RearCogs
Shimano, 12-36 29'er Specific
FrontDerailleur
Deore
RearDerailleur
Deore
Shifter
Deore
Handlebar
Cannondale C3, 680mm, 20mm, 31.8mm
Stem
Cannondale XC3 1.5
Headset
Tange Custom 1.5
Brakes
Tektro Auriga Comp Hydraulic Disc, 180/160mm
BrakeLevers
Tektro Auriga Comp w/custom lever
Saddle
Cannondale C3, Ergonomic Form
Seatpost
Cannondale C3, 31.6 mm
Sizes
M, L, X
Extras
Cannondale Morse Alloy Locking grips
Old 04-29-2010, 11:12 AM   #222
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIz guy View Post
Just a quick simple question since I don't really pay attention to bikes.

I have an old Cannondale Jekyll 500 (or a similar lower end Jekyll model) with a small frame, much too small for me now. Is it possible to just buy a new frame and transfer all the components from the old Jekyll to the new frame? Would it be cost effective to do so?
possibly, as long as the new frame matches the old one with regards to certain measurements (although, I've never been able to do a clean swap.....something always seems to be different)

things like seat tube diameter, headset type and front derailleur style can vary by manufacturer and model.

I don't know the numbers for the Jekyll, but you can start by finding these out and then researching frames that match

Note that Cannondale is known for using a lot of proprietary parts on their bikes, so pay close attention.

Last edited by Ghostie; 04-29-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #223
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
Quote:
Just a quick simple question since I don't really pay attention to bikes.

I have an old Cannondale Jekyll 500 (or a similar lower end Jekyll model) with a small frame, much too small for me now. Is it possible to just buy a new frame and transfer all the components from the old Jekyll to the new frame? Would it be cost effective to do so?

The bottom brackets and headset may be obsolete. Not always the case. How old is old?

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #224
Breyton-BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ara View Post
i won't be doing loose or wet for a while until i can advance my skills.

Frame
Trail SL 29, double butted, mechanically formed, 6061 alloy
Fork
RST Deuce 29'er, 80mm
RearShock
N/A
Rims
Maddux DC3.0 Disc 29
Hubs
Shimano HB-M475, 32 hole front,
Spokes
Stainless 15g
Tires
Kenda Small Block Eight, 29 x 2.1" Wire
Pedals
VP-577 Platform
Crank
Shimano FC-M442-8, 44/32/22
CrankOption1
N/A
CrankOption2
N/A
BottomBracket
Shimano BB-ES25
Chain
KMC HG53 9-speed
RearCogs
Shimano, 12-36 29'er Specific
FrontDerailleur
Deore
RearDerailleur
Deore
Shifter
Deore
Handlebar
Cannondale C3, 680mm, 20mm, 31.8mm
Stem
Cannondale XC3 1.5
Headset
Tange Custom 1.5
Brakes
Tektro Auriga Comp Hydraulic Disc, 180/160mm
BrakeLevers
Tektro Auriga Comp w/custom lever
Saddle
Cannondale C3, Ergonomic Form
Seatpost
Cannondale C3, 31.6 mm
Sizes
M, L, X
Extras
Cannondale Morse Alloy Locking grips

Looks good. I would change those wire bead tires to folding bead ones for easier change in case of flats. Those Small block 8's are designed for dry hard packed earth. They go bald quickly when used on road too otherwise they have good rolling resistance. I would have it upgraded to Nevegals (Tomac series) if they are available at your LBS.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #225
ara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyton-BMW View Post
Looks good. I would change those wire bead tires to folding bead ones for easier change in case of flats. Those Small block 8's are designed for dry hard packed earth. They go bald quickly when used on road too otherwise they have good rolling resistance. I would have it upgraded to Nevegals (Tomac series) if they are available at your LBS.
how much do those tires run?

i'm leaving to try out an opus avro 1 at a local lbs. it's a local made bike. first time on a 29er,
Old 04-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #226
Breyton-BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ara View Post
how much do those tires run?

i'm leaving to try out an opus avro 1 at a local lbs. it's a local made bike. first time on a 29er,
Here's their price chart for comparison. The Nevegals don't have the 29's listed but they are available. Maybe you can ask the lbs where you got the bike from to change it before you take the bike out. Here, they allow you to upgrade the parts + a little cash if it was not used yet. (taken out of the shop yet).

http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/mountain.html

Edit. The 29's are actually listed. Did not see it at first.

Last edited by Breyton-BMW; 04-29-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #227
rdp330ci

My Ride: an e46 slug
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpn04coupe View Post
i have a utopia as well (as a secondary bike for street use)... How do you like it? I made a lot of upgrades to mine, I couldn't stand the sram junk it came with.

btw, if you are getting a lot of flats, you probably should change your tire. I am assuming you are taking it on light trails? The tires that came with the bike really aren't meant for that- they are more so for "urban" riding. You should probably get a meatier tire, but, of course, it will take away from your street riding.

I like it so far. I haven't upgraded anything yet but agree that the SRAM stuff is junk. The BB5's are ok but I'm thinking about the Avid Juicy's as my first upgrade.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #228
ara

just came back from the lbs, rode the 2008 model of the Opus Avro 29.1 in an xxl frame 21".

that ended up being too big even at 6'3, so i enjoyed the ride, my ass took a beating since i haven't ridden in years. Now i love the look/color of the avro 29.1 but for 2000$ i feel that maybe it's a little too steep for a first mountain bike.

the avro 29.2 is great specs and all for me, but i do not like the color, i haven't seen it in person but i'm not sure i wanna plunk down 1500$ on a color i haven't seen before, and these are special orders.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, all other brands and bikes end of june/july, what's the point, i wanna ride right now. not wait.

the cannondales are also sold out.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #229
Ghostie

thats crazy that you can't find a bike your size in a city like Montreal...keep plugging away.

or

if you feel like taking the risk, you could post your dilema on mtbr.com, there are lots of bike shops and manufacturers who post on that site daily. Maybe one of them will be willing to ship to you either from Canada or even the US...I know I've received several PMs from shops trying to sell me stuff in the past. Obviously you will need to do your homework to make sure they're legit

You could start out in either the Regional sub-forum or Beginner

Long shot, but worth a try

Last edited by Ghostie; 04-29-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:30 PM   #230
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
+1 MTBR is extremely helpful!

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #231
ara

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
+1 MTBR is extremely helpful!
i have made the same post in MTBR eastern Canada section
Old 04-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #232
MINIz guy

My Ride: bro truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyton-BMW View Post
The bottom brackets and headset may be obsolete. Not always the case. How old is old?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
possibly, as long as the new frame matches the old one with regards to certain measurements (although, I've never been able to do a clean swap.....something always seems to be different)

things like seat tube diameter, headset type and front derailleur style can vary by manufacturer and model.

I don't know the numbers for the Jekyll, but you can start by finding these out and then researching frames that match

Note that Cannondale is known for using a lot of proprietary parts on their bikes, so pay close attention.
I am pretty sure I have a '03-'05. I got this info off of a site on the official Cannondale site.

Quote:
Model
'03-'05 Jekyll
Type/Material
Aluminum
Brake Type
International Standard Disc
Travel 135mm
Shock Eye to Eye
Jekyll Specific
Stroke Lenght 1.75"
Leverage Ratio 3:1
Derailer Hanger

Drop-out Spacing 135mm
Reducer Width 15.75
Mounting Bolt Hole 6.07
Bearing
61903 Cartridge Bearing
Pivot
Weight
6.0lbs. with shock/hardware
Max Tire Width 2.2"
Front Derailer 31.8 BP

"Shock Mount Bolt Hole diameter 6mm. Bushing Width Back 16mm"
And here is the Cannondale specifications on the bike. http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...240-5VN-Jekyll I have a small frame which is too small for me now. And I don't think I have the '05 model, but a older one. Probably '04?
MINIz guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #233
ara

My new bike, ordered today, arrives next week, i'll be riding by next weekend . I can't wait, lots of good reviews online, spoke to bike shops who don't even carry this brand and they spoke well about it. Yes at 2000$ it's a lot for a first bike, but i honestly couldn't care less, i wanted a great first bike, something to allow my skills to develop, wanted something good looking with lots of good components. And in the end i'm supporting a local builder which makes it worthwhile for me.

Ordered a 20 inch frame xl instead of the xxl that i rode a few days ago. Now gotta get me some padded shorts and some basic gear and i'm off to ride asap.

thanks for all your help guys, i really learned a lot from you guys and hope this addiction grows and develops into something crazy fun.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #234
Jerk_circus

My Ride: gets 70 m/gallon
looks great. congratulations!
Old 04-30-2010, 05:37 PM   #235
Ghostie

Congrats!

can't say I 100% agree with the purchase (but hey it's your $$)....enjoy the new toy
Old 04-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #236
Ghostie

Quote:
I am pretty sure I have a '03-'05. I got this info off of a site on the official Cannondale site.

And here is the Cannondale specifications on the bike. http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...240-5VN-Jekyll I have a small frame which is too small for me now. And I don't think I have the '05 model, but a older one. Probably '04?
yeah that really doesn't say much...other than front der size

I would check out the Cannondale sub-forum on mtbr.com..........I'm just not too savvy on Cannondales myself so its hard to say or tell you where to look
Old 04-30-2010, 05:58 PM   #237
LowDog

My Ride: Ferguson
Only had 2 x 10 mile rides this week, been way too busy. Gonna do 25-30 miles tomorrow i think.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #238
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Today I did something on my mtb I've never done before! I hit this berm at school at full speed, no brakes, no putting my foot out. I pumped the front of the bike into it and whipped the back tire through it. Felt so amazing

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #239
LowDog

My Ride: Ferguson
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Today I did something on my mtb I've never done before! I hit this berm at school at full speed, no brakes, no putting my foot out. I pumped the front of the bike into it and whipped the back tire through it. Felt so amazing
pure action

I havent done anything exciting so far except jumping curbs and stuff like that, wanna get some protective gear first lol
Old 04-30-2010, 08:21 PM   #240
pimpn04coupe

My Ride: some hooptie
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdp330ci View Post
I like it so far. I haven't upgraded anything yet but agree that the SRAM stuff is junk. The BB5's are ok but I'm thinking about the Avid Juicy's as my first upgrade.
Yea, the brakes are absolute garbage on it as well. I haven't changed them yet, but I definitely will. I have juicy 5's on my mt bike, and it is literally night and day. I will probably go that route when its time for brakes.

ARA- did you really spend $2k on a hardtail? I see it has good components (i see xt rear derailleur, fsa carbon crank, etc), but I don't see that thing being worth $2k. For $500 more, you could have gotten a decent fs bike that would ride much better than that one (of course wouldn't have that level of components, but similar).
pimpn04coupe is offline   Reply With Quote