E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #261
65MalibuL79

My Ride: 03 325Ci, 95 Z28Vert
Hi again...

Here's my GT with some XT/Deore/Sram drive train, Juicy 5s, Nevs, Fox Float R shock and a SR Suntour Epicon (weak link) fork. Some stock stuff, some not.

Here I am in action ()

65MalibuL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:45 AM   #262
330CK

My Ride: > your ride
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpn04coupe View Post
Going back to your reply to me, you are misunderstanding what I was saying. I didn't say buying the best bike one can afford is bad. I did the same thing. I also didn't say anything bad about the bike he bought- i pointed out multiple times it has great components. My entire point was dropping 2k ON A HARDTAIL is stupid because that price range is so close to the fs bikes, which are 10000x better for mt biking in my opinion. I rode my friend's ht a few times and the feel was night and day compared to my fs.
Neither of you are getting my point:

I understood your point. My point is that $2K is justified when you take the components into account. I'm not saying you didn't concede that he has nice components; all I'm saying is that that's the biggest reason the bike costs $2K. The top-line hardtail Trek 26er costs around $1700, so a well-equipped 29er hardtail is not insane @ $2K. That's all I'm saying.

I can agree with his purchase decision for the following reasons:

1. He is getting a quality frame with quality components. Those level components are the greatest contributor to that price. Buying a FS would have sacrificed component quality. This is unnecessary and not beneficial.

2. A hardtail is more sturdy and reliable option. A FS bike is a lot more maintenance, with lots of little things that can go wrong. His knowledge of proper bike maintenance is probably minimal at the moment, so a bike with a myriad of minor adjustments and maintenance needed isn't necessarily the best option. Like I said already, right now he just should worry about getting on the trail and getting better, not servicing his rear air shock every few hundred hours.

3. A 29er just a better option in most cases. The larger wheel rolls over obstacles better. A larger wheel offers increased centrifugal force, giving the rider a more balanced, solid feeling; the larger wheel also means a larger contact point. These are all incredibly beneficial to a new rider.

Now, with all that said, I'll address this specifically:

Quote:
My entire point was dropping 2k ON A HARDTAIL is stupid because that price range is so close to the fs bikes, which are 10000x better for mt biking in my opinion.
You summed it up right there. It's only your opinion, so it seems juvenile to me that there are people in this thread giving terrible post-purchase advice. That price is justified--he didn't get ripped off--so it doesn't matter what else is out there. He bought what he liked, what fit his needs, and what makes him happy. Leave it at that.
330CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:49 AM   #263
ara

My Ride: R35 GTR/99 Acura RL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MalibuL79 View Post
Here's my GT with some XT/Deore/Sram drive train, Juicy 5s, Nevs, Fox Float R shock and a SR Suntour Epicon (weak link) fork. Some stock stuff, some not.

Here I am in action ()

Old 05-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #264
LowDog

My Ride: Ferguson
Just got back from a 22 miles / 35 km ride in something like 82 degress. Damn that was hot. And my butt was so sore from the ride yesterday (no h0m0) Highest speed reached 35 miles/hour lol

How the hell do you guys keep your waterbottles cold? I fill mine with icecubes but after 1 hour its almost boiling .
Old 05-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #265
Jerk_circus

My Ride: gets 70 m/gallon
just got back from the LBS. Tried out the trek fuel ex5, trek fuel ex6, and giant trance x4. The giant felt the best and was the cheapest ($1400). It felt super solid, and balanced. The fuel ex5 didnt feel right. It was weird because it was the exact same frame (same size too) as the ex 6. The ex6 felt nice, but the giant was great. Now I'm torn. The components on the Giant arent great, but I can upgrade them. Any thoughts?

Giant Trance X4

Trek Fuel Ex5

Trek Fuel Ex6
Old 05-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #266
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
check out the specialized stumpjumper and enduro too.^

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #267
Jerk_circus

Yeah, I was at another shop closer to my office and they were a specialized dealer. Had the FSR XC comp. Didnt get to take it out. I'll probably head back during the week to check it. How much do the enduros run? The XC was $1700
Old 05-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #268
ara

My Ride: R35 GTR/99 Acura RL
maybe just freeze the waterbottle and let it thaw a bit before leaving and as you're riding it'll stay cool
Old 05-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #269
pimpn04coupe

My Ride: some hooptie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk_circus View Post
Yeah, I was at another shop closer to my office and they were a specialized dealer. Had the FSR XC comp. Didnt get to take it out. I'll probably head back during the week to check it. How much do the enduros run? The XC was $1700
unless you are going to do some hardcore downhill, do not look at the enduro. That is what it is built for, and it is actually really heavy (and is really expensive). Look at the stumpjumper fsr comp
pimpn04coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #270
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Probably pretty steep, not sure exactly. The newer version has excellent reviews though.

Also check out a Santa Cruz Blur, another great bike. If you can find one used in good condition you may love it.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #271
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDog View Post
Just got back from a 22 miles / 35 km ride in something like 82 degress. Damn that was hot. And my butt was so sore from the ride yesterday (no h0m0) Highest speed reached 35 miles/hour lol

How the hell do you guys keep your waterbottles cold? I fill mine with icecubes but after 1 hour its almost boiling .

yeah, if you live in a hot area, you'll need to invest in a thermal water bottle

http://www.nextag.com/polar-water-bottle/search-html

Even with that though, they're still going to warm up eventually, just not as fast. In the dead of summer here in TX (110 degrees), I will typically freeze my bottles overnight

you could also buy a camel back, and put plenty of ice
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #272
Ghostie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CK View Post
No - you misunderstood. I said it gives you similar capabilities to ride various terrain. As in, a 29 inch wheeled bike will roll smoothly over a succession of exposed tree roots. A 26 inch wheeled full-suspension bike will roll similarly over the same grouping of tree roots. I never said it replaces the shock absorption associated with a full suspension bicycle.

First off, you're contradicting yourself......you clearly have a pretty flawed understanding of 29ers and suspensions in general. Which leads me to believe you've probably never spent time on one. So please stop with the "textbook" quotes on the benefits of a 29er.

Again, I've ridden them for 4yrs, and I've never at any point in this thread tried to steer Ara away from them or disputed their advantages.

Secondly and most importantly, it's obvious you're just typing up a bunch of stuff without really reading either of our responses (or comprehending properly)......since you're just rehashing some of the same points I've made in some form or another during the course of this thread.

For instance, I've already addressed the issue of individual budgets being different a few pages back. Plus more importantly, I've already conceded that Ara's purchase was driven by special circumstances (i.e lack of availability). I'm the last person to ever try to tell anyone how to spend their money

Finally, your points on FS vs Hardtail ownership for a new rider are sooo wrong, I'm not even sure where to begin (or care to quite frankly)...going by your logic, no NEW rider should ever buy an FS bike I guess

I'm not going to derail this thread further, but I strongly suggest you go back and read all of my posts before you accuse me of giving "bad advice"
Old 05-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #273
Ghostie

Quote:
just got back from the LBS. Tried out the trek fuel ex5, trek fuel ex6, and giant trance x4. The giant felt the best and was the cheapest ($1400). It felt super solid, and balanced. The fuel ex5 didnt feel right. It was weird because it was the exact same frame (same size too) as the ex 6. The ex6 felt nice, but the giant was great. Now I'm torn. The components on the Giant arent great, but I can upgrade them. Any thoughts?
The ex5 and ex6 may have been the same size, but even a few differences in components between them (like stem length/rise, shock air pressure, saddle height etc) can significantly alter the feel of a frame.

You should definitely go with the one that "feels" better, components CAN always be upgraded. I cannot stress the importance of getting a frame that fits well. I spent years and thousands of $$ buying and selling frames and trying to make them fit.

Plus at that price point, there really isn't a HUGE amount of an upgrade with the Ex6 components.

Last edited by Ghostie; 05-02-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #274
Jerk_circus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpn04coupe View Post
unless you are going to do some hardcore downhill, do not look at the enduro. That is what it is built for, and it is actually really heavy (and is really expensive). Look at the stumpjumper fsr comp
True. I would like an enduro, and if this was a few years ago I would consider it. But now I plan on using this bike to commute to the office too - something I never ever did in the past. The Trek Fuel EX's have the pro-pedal which SHOULD help a lot when commuting as well. Are bike shops flexible on negotiating price? Never really bargained at a bikeshop before.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #275
Jerk_circus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
The ex5 and ex6 may have been the same size, but even a few differences in components between them (like stem length/rise, shock air pressure, saddle height etc) can significantly alter the feel of a frame.

You should definitely go with the one that "feels" better, components CAN always be upgraded. I cannot stress the importance of getting a frame that fits well. I spent years and thousands of $$ buying and selling frames and trying to make them fit.

Plus at that price point, there really isn't a HUGE amount of an upgrade with the Ex6 components.
Good points. I immediately thought to myself - its the sram shifters. The Ex6 has the shimano which I much prefer and so did the giant. The grips on the giant were beefier too, which made a big difference.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #276
330CK

My Ride: > your ride
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
First off, you're contradicting yourself......you clearly have a pretty flawed understanding of 29ers and suspensions in general. Which leads me to believe you've probably never spent time on one. So please stop with the "textbook" quotes on the benefits of a 29er.

Again, I've ridden them for 4yrs, and I've never at any point in this thread tried to steer Ara away from them or disputed their advantages.

Secondly and most importantly, it's obvious you're just typing up a bunch of stuff without really reading either of our responses (or comprehending properly)......since you're just rehashing some of the same points I've made in some form or another during the course of this thread.

For instance, I've already addressed the issue of individual budgets being different a few pages back. Plus more importantly, I've already conceded that Ara's purchase was driven by special circumstances (i.e lack of availability). I'm the last person to ever try to tell anyone how to spend their money

Finally, your points on FS vs Hardtail ownership for a new rider are sooo wrong, I'm not even sure where to begin (or care to quite frankly)...going by your logic, no NEW rider should ever buy an FS bike I guess

I'm not going to derail this thread further, but I strongly suggest you go back and read all of my posts before you accuse me of giving "bad advice"
Okay, I can see why you're still not understanding what I'm saying. I meant rolling smoothly as in it's easier to ride over the obstacles. This is very much true. A larger wheel rolls over objects better than a smaller one. I didn't say the rider won't have a harsher ride with the hardtail.

Now, you're actually the one not understanding here. I gave points why I can agree with ara's purchase based on his circumstances. Each rider has different needs. It was obvious ara just wanted to get out and ride, so a hard tail is the best choice for him because it gets him out there fast, without much that can go wrong. Get it now? I never said that a beginner shouldn't get a FS. It should just be a beginner that is ready and aware of the extra responsibility that a FS entails.

I never said you were the one giving bad advice. I just see it as juvenile and unnecessary to say stuff like 'that's a stupid purchase, a FS is only $500 more'...'$2K is stupid to spend on a hardtail'. I felt that in this case, $2K was justified because of the reasons I listed, that's why I listed them. I know you and others conceded to some of those--I never said you didn't--but then I don't see why such rude comments were necessary.

Please stop taking this so personally... But if you really want to compare saddle time, I've been riding various mountain bikes for 10+ years. I own and spend a lot of time on a Turner XCE - one of the best FS bikes ever - so I'm a great advocate for FS under the right circumstances.
330CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #277
Ghostie

Quote:
Are bike shops flexible on negotiating price? Never really bargained at a bikeshop before.
yes definitely, depending on your negotiating skills and bike availability, you might be able to get some $$ off and/or a few extras thrown in. Never hurts to ask
Old 05-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #278
dogdaysunrise

My Ride: Sechsundvierzig
I personally prefer a HT over a FS.
I've been riding MTB's for over 20 years now and just the one of the last weekends they had the Trek Factory Tour there and I rode a 26"FS as well as a 29"er FS.

For me, it takes the technical and fun part out of the ride.
On my HT I'm always thinking "which way would water flow" and that's the line I'm riding. With a FS you don't have to worry much and just go over things and you can mostly remain seated, while I have to get out of the saddle on my HT.
But I love it when the chain slams against the chainstay and you get the feeling the bike is going to fall apart and burst into 1000 pieces any minute now!

Then I rode the 29"er FS, with that thing I felt like I'm in a big SUV....the recliner of a MTB.....you can really pick the worst line and it doesn't matter.

Tried also a 29"er HT, but it's just not as agile and even though I know it's not true, but I feel like I'm high up on a bike.

Well after the 29"er FS I went back on my HT and man!!!!!!!!!!!!
Like a rocket.....agile......fast.......direct.....handles like a BMX Bike.....accelerates like a Roadbike.

I would maybe get a FS for some versatility, but I don't think I would replace y HT with anything.

For a new rider it's definitely better to start with a HT or even have a rigid bike, because that's how you learn.

Here is mine:
All Carbon Fiber..17.7lbs..I hope to get a new wheelset soon it will be 16.6lbs:

dogdaysunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #279
Ghostie

Great looking bike, is that a Scott?
Old 05-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #280
Jerk_circus

Until I opened this thread, I was set on a HT. Then I started thinking of all the crazy things I used to do on my FS, I couldnt give it up. < 17 lbs!? That is super light