E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:07 PM   #401
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDog View Post
And some gloves, not sure how much im gonna use them though.

Wear the gloves. Even if you never bail, they'll help your hands not feel as torn up from the handlebar grips at the end of a ride.

And if you do bail, they can mean the difference between being able to use your hands (to get home first of all, and to do all the usual day to day stuff) instead of needing a full time caregiver because your hands are wrapped in bandages.

As long as you picked comfortable ones, ride with them a few times and you'll never want to be without them.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:12 AM   #402
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Wear the gloves. Even if you never bail, they'll help your hands not feel as torn up from the handlebar grips at the end of a ride.

And if you do bail, they can mean the difference between being able to use your hands (to get home first of all, and to do all the usual day to day stuff) instead of needing a full time caregiver because your hands are wrapped in bandages.

As long as you picked comfortable ones, ride with them a few times and you'll never want to be without them.
In addition, gloves allow you to grip the bars better in wet conditions if you have sweaty palms or when it rains suddenly.

It may just be the pic but it looks like the handle bars were put on the wrong way.

Last edited by Breyton-BMW; 05-25-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #403
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
lmao!!

Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #404
LowDog

My Ride: Ferguson
lol yes and no. I saw someone else who did this because he had problems with his hands getting numb or sleepy. If you think about it, this way you hands are pointed more in a relaxed direction. At least thats what i think. But i havent gone for a ride yet.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #405
LowDog

Alright im gonna try and see if i can go to a trail this weekend. Probably Oleta state park if any Floridians are following.

Anyway, do i need something special? I got everything in order for change my tube lol, but thats about it. Dunno if i should get a helmet, im just broke as hell lol
Old 05-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #406
ara

My Ride: R35 GTR/99 Acura RL
def get a helmet, put it on your credit card, first time i went on a trail i almost fell backwards on an up hill section, without a helmet that would not be fun.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #407
LowDog

What helmet did you get?
Old 05-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #408
ara

My Ride: R35 GTR/99 Acura RL
i bought a Giro, not sure what model, it's black and has a visor. pretty comfy, and well aerated
Old 05-27-2010, 12:13 AM   #409
Breyton-BMW

Quote:
Alright im gonna try and see if i can go to a trail this weekend. Probably Oleta state park if any Floridians are following.

Anyway, do i need something special? I got everything in order for change my tube lol, but thats about it. Dunno if i should get a helmet, im just broke as hell lol
Do you have a mini pump? A patch kit would also be helpful. You might get a second flat. Also bring a couple of spare chain links like this. It might get handy if your chain breaks. Make sure you get the correct type for your chain size.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...k.aspx?sc=FRGL

Also, make sure you have a chain breaker included in your tool kit and know how to use it. It may spell the difference in getting home riding or walking a few miles when it breaks.

Finally, I would definitely recommend a helmet every time you ride be it road or trails. Don't skimp. It's your head after all.

Last edited by Breyton-BMW; 05-27-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #410
LowDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyton-BMW View Post
Do you have a mini pump? A patch kit would also be helpful. You might get a second flat. Also bring a couple of spare chain links like this. It might get handy if your chain breaks. Make sure you get the correct type for your chain size.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...k.aspx?sc=FRGL

Also, make sure you have a chain breaker included in your tool kit and know how to use it. It may spell the difference in getting home riding or walking a few miles when it breaks.

Finally, I would definitely recommend a helmet every time you ride be it road or trails. Don't skimp. It's your head after all.
I got a spare tube, mini pump, tire levers. No idea how to use a chain breaker though and i dont have one, is that neccesary?

I think im just gonna pick up a helmet in walmart, are they worth anything? Keep in mind i am really broke atm, bought way to much stuff this month lol
Old 05-28-2010, 01:11 AM   #411
Breyton-BMW

Quote:
I got a spare tube, mini pump, tire levers. No idea how to use a chain breaker though and i dont have one, is that neccesary?

I think im just gonna pick up a helmet in walmart, are they worth anything? Keep in mind i am really broke atm, bought way to much stuff this month lol
You will need the chain breaker in case your chain snaps (happens more often than you think). You will need to remove the damaged link in the chain so you can fit spare link. There are tons of videos on how to do it on You tube. Regarding helmets, I use a Fox Flux but they are quite expensive. You can buy a lower priced helmet just don't use cheapo $10 ones. The $30+ price range is where you wanna be. Trek makes nice value for money helmets.

Last edited by Breyton-BMW; 05-28-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #412
Spdu4ia

My Ride: changes too much
FINALY after about 4 months I finished my new Norco Shore build. I got to take my time and do it right since I snapped my leg in February. I bought the frame from a member on Pinkbike and totally rebuilt it from there. I love it and can't wait to go on the first ride soon! Specs to follow soon...

How the bike started...

And as it is now, all done!

-

-

-

-

-

Spdu4ia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:51 PM   #413
Blck Jck

My Ride: is fast.
Send a message via AIM to Blck Jck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk_circus View Post
Here's the link to the OP's bike for $399.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._cliff4900.htm

They dont sell these bikes in stores, and for us Canadians shipping is a bit of a pain since they dont ship outside the US. (you can ship it to a friend in the USA - it's free anyways - and have them ship it over to Canada)

Compared to the Devinci and Trek, nothing in the Trek/Devinci lineup can compare to the Windsor at the SAME PRICE. The closest is the Devinci Cameleon3 or the Trek 4500/6000 - all three of these bikes are at least twice as expensive (the trek 6000 is slightly better too). The Cameleon4 is a better bike than the windsor - better brakes, better front fork, comparable drivetrain...

Just like Ghostie said, you dont have to spend a lot of money to get into biking. And if you put brand aside, you can get a great bike for a fraction of the cost. Make sure the bike is tuned properly before you ride.

hey guys, so i really want to get into bike riding again to enjoy the beautiful weather and get a little more active/healthier. I am looking at this bike FOr $399 which seems like a reasonable price. I have very little knowledge and basically want to know if this would be a good bike for me. I want to start off riding the local roads and some basic trails, but eventually, I would like to do more challenging and funner trails. Obv, i dont need to spend a lot of money as im new, but I want to spend enough that will hold me over for a while.

Also, they only have this bike in 22". I am 5'11, do you think this bike will be too big?

If anyone has any other bits of advice or other bike recommendations I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys@
Blck Jck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:00 AM   #414
Breyton-BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex328ci View Post
hey guys, so i really want to get into bike riding again to enjoy the beautiful weather and get a little more active/healthier. I am looking at this bike FOr $399 which seems like a reasonable price. I have very little knowledge and basically want to know if this would be a good bike for me. I want to start off riding the local roads and some basic trails, but eventually, I would like to do more challenging and funner trails. Obv, i dont need to spend a lot of money as im new, but I want to spend enough that will hold me over for a while.

Also, they only have this bike in 22". I am 5'11, do you think this bike will be too big?

If anyone has any other bits of advice or other bike recommendations I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys@
That is definitely too big for you. I think you're in the 17.5-18.5 range but that's just an estimate. Get a bike fitting to be sure.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:08 AM   #415
SDKmann

My Ride: 01 Cherokee
Damn, that Norco bike is beyond sick!
SDKmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:49 AM   #416
LowDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex328ci View Post

I am really happy with my bike so far, but yeah 22 is gonna be way to big for you. Im 6.1 and my bike is 21 and it should not be bigger.

Spdu4ia

Your bike looks sick and the pictures are really nice, love the background.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:14 AM   #417
Blck Jck

My Ride: is fast.
Send a message via AIM to Blck Jck
thanks for the advice. going to go to the store this weekend probably. i found the local shop and was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on the bikes they have. my price range is below $500. thanks in advance.

http://highgearcyclery.com/product-l...pension-pg420/
Blck Jck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:55 PM   #418
LowDog

Just got back from a 30 mile run and it was SOOO ****ing hot today omg. Rode with a girlfriend of mine, god i hate waiting for people all the time. My saddle become loose when i had like7 miles left, felt like i was driving with a constant wedgie.

Also my bike is making a lot of weird noises from the chain/gear. It rattles all the time unless i have it in a really high gear, then it only rattles a little.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:14 PM   #419
Breyton-BMW

Always carry a multi tool.

The drive train noise may be caused by the shifter cables stretching a bit. Common problem on new bikes or a new cable change.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:00 PM   #420
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Rode with a girlfriend of mine, god i hate waiting for people all the time.
Assuming you mean she was slow and not keeping up with you, I'm gonna put on my tough guy hat here for just a minute.

Don't get your panties in a bunch about having to "wait for people". Since you just started riding (and I applaud you for doing so), there are probably plenty of riders out there that would smoke your ass and they'd "hate waiting for" you all the time.

If you ride, you've got 4 choices:

- Ride alone. Then other people's speed only affects you when you are passing or being passed.

- Ride with people that enjoy the same pace you do. This is a great situation, but there are so many different people, bikes, conditions and degrees of interest, it's not always easy to find.

- Ride with people faster than you. In that case, you're going to be the one holding up the group, or that everyone is waiting (or not) for. It's hypocritical of you to be that person in one setting, and then turn around and be grumpy with the slow person when you're the fast one.

- Ride with people slower than you. It's gonna happen, especially if you want to ride with women. Fast women will smoke you, but bike/conditioning/age/etc being equal, you'll be faster than a woman. Suck it up and deal with it. Just accept that if you're going riding with a woman (or anyone else that's not as fast as you), it's just going to be a nice easy pace for you. Let the slow one set the pace and enjoy the ride.

There's a reason there are women-only riding clubs and events. Cuz women get sick of men that are jackasses about the fact that the women are slower. The men either bitch about it and make the women feel crappy, or they simply take off and leave the women to ride alone, in which case, there's not much point in "riding together".

I realize that you may have been sweet and courteous and patient with the girl that you rode with. But don't forget how good women are at perceiving emotions. If you were grumpy about her being slow, she probably knows it. Don't be a dick about it.

I'm now taking off my tough guy hat and giving you rah-rahs for being out there riding.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote