E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #961
scott0482

My Ride: 2001 530i
Send a message via AIM to scott0482
I have no experience.. But if you are going to go with a Stans kit, you might as well just Gorilla Tape your rim and dump in some sealant. It does the same thing for much less $.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #962
cnebrask

My Ride: e46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
I'm sure some of you guys run tubeless. Have you ever had a flat, and if so, how much of a hassle is it to patch the tire with the sealant inside?

Replaced my mtb tires last year and the new ones are tubeless-ready. Have been eyeballing the Stans kit. I know it would mean fewer flats, but in the instance where it DOES get a flat, it seems like doing a trailside fix would suck.

Just looking for some real world experiences.

http://www.notubes.com/Stans-Tubeless-Kits-C12.aspx

I run Stans ZTR FLow hoops on Kings and have used a variety of UST tires include Kenda Nevegal, specialized Pergatory, Maxis Minion, etc.. and I have never had a complete blow out of a tire - meaning massive tear that would not seal with stans sealant. Also, I ride in AZ which is much more harsh than SoCal.

The question is, are your hoops UST? If not, then a bigger concern would be burping your tires on the trail.

Anyway, to answer to question about fixing a flat.. well, it depends. Most minor punctures will seal up with Stans. Any significant tear in a tire you will have to put in a tube (and in this case the tire should be discarded).

If your hoops are not UST, you may get significant leakage of air/sealant, and in this case "Ghetto Tubless" would be your answer.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by cnebrask; 05-24-2012 at 11:29 PM.
cnebrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #963
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
You're much less likely to get a flat with tubeless and you can run lower pressures without worrying about pinch flats...

BUT.. in the chance that it does blow the bead, it's a horrible mess and you will have to carry a tube to fix it

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #964
Spiritwalker42

My Ride: '02 M3 Coupe
What's going on everyone... Been on the e46forums for a bit...... Mtb fanatic for many many moons...lol,

Tubeless is the deal for sure... Been runnin them on my mtb and road bikes for a good bit. I did run a tubeless cyclocross setup for a couple rides and 1 race bfore deciding to go to a carbon deap dish tubular setup. In regards to cyclocross, tubulars are much better.... tubeless was alright on the Alphas but when I first got on a set of good carbon tubulars I was hooked..

Tubeless on the mtb is great.... U can can run lower pressure that increases handling and speed ...

I'm runnin Stans No Tubes Alpha 340s on the road and Stans No Tubes ZTR Podium MMXs on the mtb.... Great wheels,

from HTC

Last edited by Spiritwalker42; 05-31-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: clarify about tubeless vs tubular for cyclo
Spiritwalker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #965
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
^^^ Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep reading on mtbr and talk to my LBS. Maybe I'll do a Stans or ghetto conversion one of these days.

Rims are Specialized/Alex RHD 26, double wall disc w/ eyelets on my 2007 Rockhopper Comp Disc. Tires are Fast Trak Control 2Bliss Ready.

I appreciate the input.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #966
jun14scr
booo for body roll.

My Ride: 2009 335i.
just bought a 2012 cannondale flash 3 carbon.

anybody have any experience with carbon frames and the bmw sidearm? I've read some mixed things about using the side arm on the carbon frame, but given that the only purpose of the sidearm is to keep it upright, I have a hard time believing it will do any damage (versus a clamp style rack that holds the bike up).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cdale 4.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	454875   Click image for larger version

Name:	bikestand 1.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	454876  
Old 06-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #967
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jun14scr View Post
just bought a 2012 cannondale flash 3 carbon.

anybody have any experience with carbon frames and the bmw sidearm? I've read some mixed things about using the side arm on the carbon frame, but given that the only purpose of the sidearm is to keep it upright, I have a hard time believing it will do any damage (versus a clamp style rack that holds the bike up).
Teh secksiness.

I was JUST trying to explain Lefty to my mom.

When you've got some miles on it, let us know what you think of it. I've wanted to ride one to see what it's like, but never found a demo.

Sorry I can't help with the rack question.

Yes
Old 06-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #968
jun14scr
booo for body roll.

My Ride: 2009 335i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Teh secksiness.

I was JUST trying to explain Lefty to my mom.

When you've got some miles on it, let us know what you think of it. I've wanted to ride one to see what it's like, but never found a demo.

Sorry I can't help with the rack question.

I've got 30 miles on it between two rides so far. It is scary fast! My old hard tail weighed 30.4 lbs and my bike with platform SPDs weighs 23.5. The acceleration and momentum you can carry is scary. The elixir 9's are loud as hell, but I hope they get better after they break in. I did the appropriate break in procedures per avid but the rear still squeals. Being able to modulate the brakes is great, but I've definitely almost thrown myself over the bars a few times. The bike is pretty twitchy, but that's a given considered the race geometry of the frame.

I still haven't dialed in the rebound on the shock and I play with the PSI a bit more. The lefty soaks up all small bumps and they never make their way through the handle bar. In conjunction with built in flex in the rear stays makes staying in the saddle much more manageable then before when going over uncooperative terrain. So far the lefty has handled everything I've thrown at it and I'm not exactly the most gracious rider. The stiffness of the lefty is nuts. Check out this video..

If you find a shop, just ask them to try to floor model. The shops I have been to when I was looking around never had an issue letting me take any of their bikes for a ride. Just act like you're going to buy it!
Old 06-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #969
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jun14scr View Post
I've got 30 miles on it between two rides so far. It is scary fast! My old hard tail weighed 30.4 lbs and my bike with platform SPDs weighs 23.5. The acceleration and momentum you can carry is scary. The elixir 9's are loud as hell, but I hope they get better after they break in. I did the appropriate break in procedures per avid but the rear still squeals. Being able to modulate the brakes is great, but I've definitely almost thrown myself over the bars a few times. The bike is pretty twitchy, but that's a given considered the race geometry of the frame.

I still haven't dialed in the rebound on the shock and I play with the PSI a bit more. The lefty soaks up all small bumps and they never make their way through the handle bar. In conjunction with built in flex in the rear stays makes staying in the saddle much more manageable then before when going over uncooperative terrain. So far the lefty has handled everything I've thrown at it and I'm not exactly the most gracious rider. The stiffness of the lefty is nuts. Check out this video..

If you find a shop, just ask them to try to floor model. The shops I have been to when I was looking around never had an issue letting me take any of their bikes for a ride. Just act like you're going to buy it!
Cool stuff, and thanks for the vid.

I'll keep my eye open for a demo ride. I don't like to mislead stores just so I can rack up joyride miles on their inventory.

I'm sure I can find a Cannondale dealer that does demos or maybe find a Cannondale truck at a bike event at some point.

Enjoy the bike!

Yes
Old 06-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #970
DavidDee

My Ride: 2004 325xi
The Flash 29ers are sweet! We've got a left over 2011 at the shop I work at now. I'm a big fan of the lefty platform. The only thing I don't like about them is they're a bitch to rebuild. Any upgrades planned?

Side note. I've been riding crankbro candy pedals for the past month. I like them so much more then any SPD style pedal I've ridden in the past. They still work great even when they're caked full of mud and pine needles. Plus they're fully rebuildable! Ill have to post some pictures of my new bike. I got a Giant Reign 2 about a month ago. Loving it so far!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App

"It has a radio and speakers but it's kinda hard to hear over horny bitches moanin in the back when I start it up.."
DavidDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #971
Xcelratr

Was in Vegas this weekend, did a quick ride with my dad out by Lake Mead/Hoover Dam along the Historic Railroad Tunnel Trail. Several sections of railroad were built to bring material to the dam construction site in the 1930s. This trail is part of one of the sections. The tracks are long gone, but the railroad bed and the tunnels remain.

It's a REALLY easy ride from where we started, only about 6.5 miles round trip. It's not technical at all, mostly hard packed dirt/gravel with very little rutting or serious bumps.

You can take the trail all the way to the parking garage for the visitor's center at the dam, which we've done once before. That's not much longer, but does mean more climbing on the return trip.

This time, though, we split off the trail and rode to a parking lot that gives access to the new O'Callaghan - Tillman bridge. Locked the bikes up in the lot, took the short walk up the steps and out onto the bridge, which has a pedestrian section on the dam side.

Here's the route. On the far left is the parking lot off Lakeshore Rd we started at. Anyone interested in a longer ride could start farther west in Lake Mead NRA. The dam and the new bridge are on the far right of the pic:

The views of the dam from the bridge are pretty tough to beat:

Most of the trail is like this, so you can see how casual a ride it is. My dad doesn't ride hardcore stuff and he loves this trail:

Yes

Last edited by Xcelratr; 06-13-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:33 AM   #972
Clean_3

My Ride: E46
Can anyone recommend me a phone mount for my MTB?

Try snooping through her things and finding out where she stashed your ballz...
Clean_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #973
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
I use Lifeproof for Iphone. You have to buy the case also though. Kinda pricey at $80. Makes it a bit waterproof.

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:41 AM   #974
Clean_3

My Ride: E46
Hmm that is a little high and I have a Galaxy Nexus so not sure if they'd carry a case for me.

Thanks for the input

Try snooping through her things and finding out where she stashed your ballz...
Clean_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #975
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean_3 View Post
Can anyone recommend me a phone mount for my MTB?
Might help with the responses if you indicated what kind of phone it's for, in case they vary.

If you have an iPhone and live somewhere hot, beware of the heat. My parents rode a few weeks ago in Vegas with a friend that uses his iPhone and it got hot enough out in the sun that it shut down. Apple's website says the max operating temp for 4S is 95 and non operating temp is 113. That's not hard to do in direct sunlight in Vegas, and many other places in the summer for that matter.

Don't know if other phones are similar. Hopefully someone else that actually uses theirs on their bike can chime in.

EDIT - Never mind. Saw your response. Disregard.

Yes
Old 06-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #976
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Dude what happened to your face?

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:12 AM   #977
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Was it hot? Looks like you're melting.

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #978
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
that video is funny, the comparison fork has no rebound, the guy has to pull it back as it will not reset by itself. That lower fork is junk.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #979
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Go Lefty

Last edited by Ghostie; 06-14-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #980
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyton-BMW View Post
Was it hot? Looks like you're melting.
Lol. Really stout sunblock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
Go Lefty
That looks like a cool place to ride. Where/what trail is that?

Yes