E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #1001
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
Is that a Rase seatpost?

Edit: I see it's a Fox. didn't see your reply at first.

Last edited by Breyton-BMW; 07-17-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #1002
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Can anyone give me any feedback on this??? I'm looking to pick up a casual mountain bike for daily after work cardio or riding around my local area and MAYBE some nearby trails. Don't want to spend a fortune, but do really want disc brakes. How is this bike/deal?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...cane/450ds.htm
Old 07-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #1003
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Don't buy a cheap Full Suspension bike; more weight, plus more moving parts that are likely to break.

For that price you can get a solid entry level hardtail with disc brakes (Trek 3500 and Specialized hardrock come to mind, but there are a few others)

Last edited by Ghostie; 07-17-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #1004
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
Don't buy a cheap Full Suspension bike; more weight, plus more moving parts that are likely to break.

For that price you can get a solid entry level hardtail with disc brakes (Trek 3500 and Specialized hardrock come to mind, but there are a few others)
The reviews on it seem to be very good, plus it has disc brakes. I rode my friend's bike with disc brakes and really want them. The bikes you recommended seem nice but no discs. I am not opposed to a hardtail though, however, the level of "abuse" I will put the bike through (minimal if any) is unlikely going to break anything.

Hell, something like this is probably enough for me for street riding.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/g29ss.htm

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 07-17-2012 at 01:48 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #1005
Ghostie

Quote:
The reviews on it seem to be very good....
If you really want it, go for it, but I've answered the question you initially asked

Quote:
...plus it has disc brakes. I rode my friend's bike with disc brakes and really want them.The bikes you recommended seem nice but no discs...
Getting hung up on components alone is the wrong way to buy a bike, since components can easily be upgraded. The most important thing is to have a solid frame, that fits you (which is why your local bike store is a great place to start)

But in any case, both are available with discs

Trek 3500 Disc

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ies/3500_disc/

Specialized Hardrock

http://www.artscyclery.com/Specializ...ge-SP3HDB.html

I'm not trying to tell you that the above 2 are your only options, just pointing out a few examples of bikes that are better bargains for your $$ in the long run. There are more

Quote:
I am not opposed to a hardtail though, however, the level of "abuse" I will put the bike through (minimal if any) is unlikely going to break anything.
All Mountain bikes ridden off-road will be abused, by default. ALL

Those Gravity bikes you just posted will probably hold up longer than the Full Suspension you initially posted (beware that it is a Single speed though...one gear)
Old 07-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #1006
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
If you really want it, go for it, but I've answered the question you initially asked

Getting hung up on components alone is the wrong way to buy a bike, since components can easily be upgraded. The most important thing is to have a solid frame, that fits you (which is why your local bike store is a great place to start)

But in any case, both are available with discs

Trek 3500 Disc

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ies/3500_disc/

Specialized Hardrock

http://www.artscyclery.com/Specializ...ge-SP3HDB.html

I'm not trying to tell you that the above 2 are your only options, just pointing out a few examples of bikes that are better bargains for your $$ in the long run. There are more

All Mountain bikes ridden off-road will be abused, by default. ALL

Those Gravity bikes you just posted will probably hold up longer than the Full Suspension you initially posted (beware that it is a Single speed though...one gear)
I appreciate your advice, truly. However, I gotta be honest with myself, 99.99% of the time, the bike will be on pavement. Since you seem to know your bikes, which style will be more comfortable on pavement? Full suspension or a hard tail? Also, why is a full suspension bike heavier? I figured if it's missing that rear tube section, it would be lighter no? Also, what is the right size/way to buy a bike. I am 6' tall. Do I want a 26", 29", etc? The specialized link you posted shows 13"-21". Those are obviously not the tire sizes, so what is the correct way to buy them?

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 07-17-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #1007
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Hardtail for pavement. 26" and 29" are wheel sizes and are a preference not always indicative of height.
Being 6' you would want 18-20 in depending on what you like. Some bikes refer to this as M or L.

No question, I would get that Trek or Specialized.

Last edited by Green_Shine; 07-17-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Green_Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #1008
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
Hardtail for pavement. 26" and 29" are wheel sizes and are a preference not always indicative of height.
Being 6' you would want 18-20 in depending on what you like. Some bikes refer to this as M or L.

No question, I would get that Trek or Specialized.
Thank you. I will take a walk to a local store right now and check them out.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #1009
NFRs2000nyc

Do you guys recommend a local store or bikesdirect.com? It seems (key word, seems) that you can get FAR more bike for the money on bikesdirect.

The MSRP on the Trek is $479. Lets say a local store will sell it for $425. On bikesdirect, it seems you can get a $1400 bike for that money.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/fsx_3.htm
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._whitefork.htm

If comparing apples to apples (similar style bikes) it seems they are cheaper for the same type of bike...
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._adventure.htm
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...500_x_sale.htm

Again, not arguing with you guys, just curious as to what is the best deal, and what will give me the most bike for the money.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 07-17-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #1010
Ghostie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I appreciate your advice, truly. However, I gotta be honest with myself, 99.99% of the time, the bike will be on pavement.
Since you seem to know your bikes, which style will be more comfortable on pavement? Full suspension or a hard tail? Also, why is a full suspension bike heavier? I figured if it's missing that rear tube section, it would be lighter no?

A full suspension by default is heavier because it has more components.

It has 2 Suspension systems (one in the front and one in the back) versus a Hardtail which has just one. The additional shock, plus the pivoting mechanism required to make it work adds weight (note that this also adds flex and pedal bob to the rear end...all which make it better suited to pure off-road use)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_suspension

Of course there are FS bikes out there that are just as light as hardtails, but not at the price you're asking about.

As for frame and wheel sizing, neither can really be determined by anyone other than you. You really need to take a few test rides at a local bike store. Taller people tend to gravitate towards 29inch wheels, but it is not set in stone. You will most likely need between a 17-19 (frame size)
Old 07-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #1011
Ghostie

Quote:
Do you guys recommend a local store or bikesdirect.com? It seems (key word, seems) that you can get FAR more bike for the money on bikesdirect.

The MSRP on the Trek is $479. Lets say a local store will sell it for $425. On bikesdirect, it seems you can get a $1400 bike for that money.

If comparing apples to apples (similar style bikes) it seems they are cheaper for the same type of bike...

Again, not arguing with you guys, just curious as to what is the best deal, and what will give me the most bike for the money.
Local Bike shop, without a doubt.

You're buying a product that will require maintenance over time. Establishing a relationship with a good, knowledgeable local store will save you a ton of $$ and hassle over time.

You might appear to pay a bit more initially, but will gain more knowledge and support in return. The fitting process alone makes buying local worth it, because it can be fairly complicated depending on your build/body type/previous injuries etc

You can start buying online once you figure out what you're doing.

I don't really want to disparage bikesdirect and motobecane, but you need to ask yourself how they're able to offer the "same bikes" for so much less (hint: they're cutting corners somewhere)

Last edited by Ghostie; 07-17-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #1012
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:

As with all things, you can probably save the most $s buying online.

The advantages of buying at your lbs are that you can test ride/demo multiple models and sizes in advance, you can get 1:1 advice and help from a local "expert" (assuming your lbs has good, knowledgeable guys), they may be inclined to be more helpful and service-oriented when you need the bike serviced or fixed, and they may have events/group rides/schwag for customers that bought bikes from them.

It's up to you to decide if those items are of enough value to you to be worth paying more $s than if you buy a bike online.

If you're rarely going to go offroad, I'd strongly suggest a hardtail. Full suspension = more money, more weight, more moving parts that can break/wear out/require adjustment. And the only real reason for a full suspension bike is that it can handle bigger bumps with more comfort than a hardtail.

So if you're riding on pavement and just want to be able to hop on and off curbs, be comfortable over potholes and occasionally cut across an empty lot, I think you'd be best served by a hardtail.

$0.02

Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #1013
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Local Bike shop, without a doubt.

You're buying a product that will require maintenance over time. Establishing a relationship with a good, knowledgeable local store will save you a ton of $$ and hassle over time.

You might appear to pay a bit more initially, but will gain more knowledge and support in return. The fitting process alone makes buying local worth it, because it can be fairly complicated depending on your build/body type/previous injuries etc

You can start buying online once you figure out what you're doing.

I don't really want to disparage bikesdirect and motobecane, but you need to ask yourself how they're able to offer the "same bikes" for so much less (hint: they're cutting corners somewhere)
Just got back from the local bike shop. The prices are MSRP, so $480 for the 3500 and $600 for Trek Wahoo. That, plus tax seems a little steep. I'm not a fan of retail. I try hard to support local stores, but this makes it difficult. Since I maintain all my cars, built my s2000 motor, and did the suspension on my Jeep, I am confident that I can maintain a bike, although I do realize that they are a bit different. Also, as for the lower price, all the big names have to pay a lot for lots of things, not to mention, they are marked up a lot. Another thing I have read, is that the same company that produces the frames for Trek, Gary Fischer, etc produce the frames for these smaller companies.

From everything I read, bikedirect is sort of like this...you can buy an alienware for $3000 or you can custom build a pc with the same or better components for half the price, but without the name. It seems bikedirect is a like a pc builder of bikes.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 07-17-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #1014
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
A full suspension by default is heavier because it has more components.

It has 2 Suspension systems (one in the front and one in the back) versus a Hardtail which has just one. The additional shock, plus the pivoting mechanism required to make it work adds weight (note that this also adds flex and pedal bob to the rear end...all which make it better suited to pure off-road use)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_suspension

Of course there are FS bikes out there that are just as light as hardtails, but not at the price you're asking about.

As for frame and wheel sizing, neither can really be determined by anyone other than you. You really need to take a few test rides at a local bike store. Taller people tend to gravitate towards 29inch wheels, but it is not set in stone. You will most likely need between a 17-19 (frame size)
Perfect call. The guy at the store said I would be between 17-19 and highly recommended the 29" tire for road use.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #1015
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
I'm not a fan of bikesdirect. Spend the extra hundred and get a real bike frame.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #1016
DavidDee

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Quote:
I'm not a fan of bikesdirect. Spend the extra hundred and get a real bike frame.
+1 support a local business.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App

"It has a radio and speakers but it's kinda hard to hear over horny bitches moanin in the back when I start it up.."
DavidDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #1017
Jerk_circus

My Ride: gets 70 m/gallon
I think bikesdirect.com sells fair bikes at a great price. If you're not an enthusiast (like some guys in this thread) then you will get a better equipped bike at bikesdirect.com then going to walmart, sports authority or a local bike shop and picking up some low end bike (like a raleigh or schwinn or something). DO NOT get a full suspension bike. I'd recommend a 29"
Old 07-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #1018
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Cool, whatcha puttin it on?
lol...not totally sure yet. I've got a Santa Cruz Superlight and may be building up something more all-mountain oriented, possibly a Nomad or a Specialized Enduro.
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #1019
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Their bike frames are exactly the same as most mid market bikes, including Trek as they are made by the same company. Furthermore, it's not an extra $100. It's an extra $500 at the MINIMUM.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #1020
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
lol...not totally sure yet. I've got a Santa Cruz Superlight and may be building up something more all-mountain oriented, possibly a Nomad or a Specialized Enduro.
Why you no post pics of trick ass bikes ITT? Or did you and I just missed them?
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote