E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #1021
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Their bike frames are exactly the same as most mid market bikes, including Trek as they are made by the same company. Furthermore, it's not an extra $100. It's an extra $500 at the MINIMUM.
My opinion is bikesdirect are not selling a bike that lists for 1k for $400. That FS bike will be heavy and will have cheap parts. If I were in your shoes, I would take $500 and buy that a Hardtail Trek or Specialized online or in a shop. I would also browse your local Craigslist for a good used bike too.

If you're truly looking for a deal and want to control your budget, build your bike with a slightly used frame.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #1022
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Quote:
Their bike frames are exactly the same as most mid market bikes, including Trek as they are made by the same company. Furthermore, it's not an extra $100. It's an extra $500 at the MINIMUM.
Again, you're free to spend your $$ as you wish, but I need to to clear up a few things for the benefit of other new riders who might be reading this thread in the future.

1)Please stop saying that a Motobecane frame from Bikesdirect is the same quality as a Trek or Specialized (whoever told you that is lying to you). Just stop.

2)The frames I showed you had similar MSRPs as the bikesdirect bikes, but I personally don't know anyone who pays MSRP. Most bike shops are willing to deal a little, and you certainly won't pay $500 more for a quality hardtail (not to mention all the free sh!t they might throw in). Please explain to us how the Trek 3500 for example would cost you $500 more, when the MSRP is $479 vs $$449 for the Motobecane you posted.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...es/3500_disc/#

3)All the frames I showed you are available for purchase online as well, so you can still save $$ that way....except you'd be getting a quality frame that will last you for years

I'm done with this topic.

Last edited by Ghostie; 07-18-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #1023
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
Again, you're free to spend your $$ as you wish, but I need to to clear up a few things for the benefit of other new riders who might be reading this thread in the future.

1)Please stop saying that a Motobecane frame from Bikesdirect is the same quality as a Trek or Specialized (whoever told you that is lying to you). Just stop.

2)The frames I showed you had similar MSRPs as the bikesdirect bikes, but I personally don't know anyone who pays MSRP. Most bike shops are willing to deal a little, and you certainly won't pay $500 more for a quality hardtail (not to mention all the free sh!t they might throw in). Please explain to us how the Trek 3500 for example would cost you $500 more, when the MSRP is $479 vs $$449 for the Motobecane you posted.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...es/3500_disc/#

3)All the frames I showed you are available for purchase online as well, so you can still save $$ that way....except you'd be getting a quality frame that will last you for years

I'm done with this topic.
I was repeating what I read on the bike forums. The motobecane frames are built by the same company, by the same welders, in the same building, in the same country (Taiwan) as Trek, Gary Fischer, Giant, and a few others I can't remember.) If this is wrong, no problem. This is what I read on all the biking forums.

I will go back to the store today (local shop) and see if they play ball with the Trek.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #1024
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
I would rather have a Trek than a motobecane all things being almost equal.

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #1025
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Why you no post pics of trick ass bikes ITT? Or did you and I just missed them?
Heh, well I've been on this forum for ages and only posted a few pics of one of my E46s, and I don't give much thought to the bike stable. The Superlight is a blast, but not much too look at as its just anodized gunmetal grey.

I have a cool Nishiki Alien (super old school) that I've converted to single speed, and a Nashbar Flashback that I built as a 1x9, before it was chic. Both of those are better looking, imo.

I'm out of town but will post a few snaps soon.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using Bimmer App
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #1026
Breyton-BMW

My Voodoo Titanium 29er. Don't know if I've posted this yet. Size 20. Came in at around 20 lbs.

Last edited by Breyton-BMW; 07-18-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #1027
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyton-BMW View Post
I would rather have a Trek than a motobecane all things being almost equal.
I am trying to see if they are indeed equal. The trek is $480.

Here is the bike I am strongly considering.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/hay1500xi.htm

I tried to look up the components on the Trek, and can't find it. A friend of mine who bikes told me to try and get a bike with at least Deore line Derailleurs. The bike above seems to have good components for the money. The Trek, I can't tell what line they use. The price is the same ($480) but which bike is TECHNICALLY superior (ignoring the brand names for a second)....
Old 07-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #1028
mtnbound
Town Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
My opinion is bikesdirect are not selling a bike that lists for 1k for $400. That FS bike will be heavy and will have cheap parts. If I were in your shoes, I would take $500 and buy that a Hardtail Trek or Specialized online or in a shop. I would also browse your local Craigslist for a good used bike too.

If you're truly looking for a deal and want to control your budget, build your bike with a slightly used frame.
+1. $500 buys a nice hardtail at a LBS, along with nice post- purchase support. "Hi, I bought a bike from bd.com a month ago and now it shifts like crap. I watched a YouTube DIY video and tried to adjust it, but its still skipping." Most shops will take care of this for free, but a non-shop purchased bike service is automatically a $30-$60 repair.

The "list"/ comparable prices on bd.com are heavily inflated and often not accurate, comparable bikes.

That said, if someone is going to rarely touch a trail, a bike from Walmart, Target, or Sports Authority will function just fine on city streets and paved paths.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #1029
Breyton-BMW

Quote:
I am trying to see if they are indeed equal. The trek is $480.

Here is the bike I am strongly considering.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/hay1500xi.htm

I tried to look up the components on the Trek, and can't find it. A friend of mine who bikes told me to try and get a bike with at least Deore line Derailleurs. The bike above seems to have good components for the money. The Trek, I can't tell what line they use. The price is the same ($480) but which bike is TECHNICALLY superior (ignoring the brand names for a second)....
Well there are about three sub classes of the Deore line at different price ranges so make sure you compare apples to apples.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #1030
mtnbound
Town Clown

Quote:
I was repeating what I read on the bike forums. The motobecane frames are built by the same company, by the same welders, in the same building, in the same country (Taiwan) as Trek, Gary Fischer, Giant, and a few others I can't remember.) If this is wrong, no problem. This is what I read on all the biking forums.

I will go back to the store today (local shop) and see if they play ball with the Trek.
Only at the low and low-mid range AND it doesn't necessarily mean each mfr submits the same specs.

Just like food manufacturing, certain plants may make "similar" foods in the same facility, but some Brand X may still taste like crap compared to Brand Y.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #1031
Breyton-BMW

Okay after looking at the parts of both the trek and the dawes bike in the links, the dawes wins in the parts department. Keep in mind though that although they are the same price, the trek is Msrp which could go down considerably unlike the dawes you posted which is purchase price online. You may be able to go to the next higher model trek if you check with the lbs.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #1032
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Okay after looking at the parts of both the trek and the dawes bike in the links, the dawes wins in the parts department. Keep in mind though that although they are the same price, the trek is Msrp which could go down considerably unlike the dawes you posted which is purchase price online. You may be able to go to the next higher model trek if you check with the lbs.
Thank you. This is what I wanted to know. Going to go down to the bike shop and see if they will budge on the Trek. I don't pay MSRP for anything.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #1033
mtnbound
Town Clown

Quote:
My Voodoo Titanium 29er. Don't know if I've posted this yet. Size 20. Came in at around 20 lbs.

Nice! What fork is that?

Old 07-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #1034
Breyton-BMW

^On One carbon.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #1035
NFRs2000nyc

What's a good inexpensive speedometer you guys can recommend? Any particular brands? I saw Garmin had bike units, just looking for some guidance. Wired, wireless, etc. I heard there are some that can upload/talk to iphones and keep track/graph your rides. Something like this maybe?
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=90675

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 07-18-2012 at 02:44 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #1036
mtnbound
Town Clown

Quote:
Dawes? I missed that one. I'm pretty sure they're made in china, not Taiwan, resulting in inferior material quality. They use something called "aluminum x or z aluminum" or something. The x stands for whatever cheapest aluminum can be sourced. Yes, aluminum comes in various forms/qualities.

Trek and Giant have proprietary aluminum specs, which are 70 % marketing fluff, but they do put actual science and R&D into their frame materials.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #1037
Breyton-BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
Dawes? I missed that one. I'm pretty sure they're made in china, not Taiwan, resulting in inferior material quality. They use something called "aluminum x or z aluminum" or something. The x stands for whatever cheapest aluminum can be sourced. Yes, aluminum comes in various forms/qualities.

Trek and Giant have proprietary aluminum specs, which are 70 % marketing fluff, but they do put actual science and R&D into their frame materials.
I was comparing the parts mounted on the frames.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #1038
Breyton-BMW

Quote:
What's a good inexpensive speedometer you guys can recommend? Any particular brands? I saw Garmin had bike units, just looking for some guidance. Wired, wireless, etc. I heard there are some that can upload/talk to iphones and keep track/graph your rides. Something like this maybe?
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=90675
I use a Garmin 305 cycling comp seen on the pic posted above(+heart rate, cadence, altitude). I also use my iphone 4 motion x or sports tracker app sometimes. It uses a lot of power though. If you just want basic speed and distance, I would get a cateye velo wireless.

Last edited by Breyton-BMW; 07-18-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #1039
mtnbound
Town Clown

Quote:
I was comparing the parts mounted on the frames.
Yeah, not commenting on your post, just the consideration of a Dawes bike. Fully agree with the component assessment.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #1040
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post

Take a look. Again, I am NOT arguing. However, good information is just that, good information. You wouldn't buy $10000 tv that you KNEW had a $1000 panel in it that you can get at costco right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinesis_Industry