E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #1061
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
That exact question is one reason bike mfgs and retailers are disinclined to publish weights. Because its so hard to standardize what should be counted in the bike's weight, and because buyers can be so rabid about buying based on weight, everyone would be cheating their weights lower and lower until the numbers were no longer useful for comparison.

I'd be most interested in knowing the weight in its bare-bones-but-ready-to-ride condition. So that's wheels and pedals, but no add-ons like bottle cage, lights, saddlebag, bell, flag or little pink tassles at the end of the handlebars (you know you want some).
Got it. Ok, I will weight the entire bike in ride-ready condition without any of the addons. It already shipped (fast shipping BTW) and I will receive it on tuesday.

Just out of curiosity, what is considered a light bike? My friend said anything under 30 is already considered light, and under 20 is ultra-light (mega $$$). He has a yeti (not sure if thats a brand or a model and really weighs nothing.) He told me that ultralights are for people who really offroad and jump a lot. On the road, he said anything near 30 is ok.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #1062
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Got it. Ok, I will weight the entire bike in ride-ready condition without any of the addons. It already shipped (fast shipping BTW) and I will receive it on tuesday.

Just out of curiosity, what is considered a light bike? My friend said anything under 30 is already considered light, and under 20 is ultra-light (mega $$$). He has a yeti (not sure if thats a brand or a model and really weighs nothing.) He told me that ultralights are for people who really offroad and jump a lot. On the road, he said anything near 30 is ok.
That's kinda one of those "how hot does she need to be" questions. And there are a lot of variables (as you saw while shopping). Aluminum or carbon fiber? 26" or 29"? Hardtail vs full suspension?

I think your friend is correct about the numbers. An entry level hardtail is probably about 30. A midrange hardtail is going to be 26 - 28ish. A killer, carbon fiber, way cool, get lots of chicks hardtail is going to be low 20s.

There are lots of less-than-20-lb bikes out there, they're called road bikes. LOL

In all seriousness, if you want to spend nearly $10,000 on a bike, you can get some pretty lightweight stuff. But I'm not aware of any sub-20 lb suspended multi-gear mountain bikes being ridden by normal humans.

I will correct your friend on one thing. Generally, the more abuse a bike takes (especially Downhill or Freeride) the stouter it has to be. So DH bikes that have a ton of travel for soaking up big bumps and landing jumps are often VERY heavy, like some of them are in the 50 lb range. They don't care much about the weight because they're mostly not riding them up hill. But they have these massive front forks, super thick frames, stout wheels and so on to handle the pounding, so they're very heavy.

30 lbs is just fine for the kind of riding you're talking about doing. The only time it's likely to bug you is if you end up climing a lot of hills, or you do really long rides where you're on the bike for 5, 6, 9 hours in a day. In those cases, you'll be wishing you had a lighter bike because you'd cover more ground faster with less effort.

Yeti is a mfg. http://www.yeticycles.com/ They build some really nice stuff.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #1063
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
Quote:
Sexy wheels.
Thanks. They are Crank bros 29er Cobalt 2.

Last edited by Breyton-BMW; 07-19-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #1064
Jon D

My Ride: 330 Cic ZHP
FWIW just got an email Bike Nashbar is having a "blowout" sale.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #1065
NFRs2000nyc

Ok, just got the bike in. Ordering to receiving in 4 days, pretty good. The box came undamaged and the bike was very well packaged and well protected.

This is the bike I ordered, in orange.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/hay1500xi.htm

Out of the box (I took some stuff off before remembering to take the pic.)

The bike seems like high quality (seems better made than Trek 3500 I looked at) with parts put together with care, no tool marks, no gouges, no paint scratches, and tightly put together as well.

The bike comes with quick releases for both wheels and the seat. The screw together parts and anything that has to hold something is metal. No plastic.

Now, as requested, here is the bike being weighed in riding condition. Everything on, tires inflated, no accessories like water bottle cages and pumps.

I was using a heavy strap to hold it up so I'd say it's about 32lbs.

Now, I was wondering if you guys can help me out. I took it for a test ride, and everything was fine. I shifted (brought the chain to an outer sprocket) and heard a rubbing. Took it back to the house for closer inspection. Keep in mind, the following photos are taken with the bike UPSIDE DOWN....

The chain seems to be rubbing that silver piece....forgot what it's called.

It seems something needs to be adjusted. I didn't want to touch anything before asking, so anyone know what's going on? Thanks for the help!

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 07-24-2012 at 01:42 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #1066
NFRs2000nyc

Nevermind guys. Just took it down to my local shop and they tuned everything up for $30 bucks. Bike rides great. Love the shifters and LOVE the disc brakes. I can never go back to wheel brakes. Mechanic at the shop commented on how well it was put together from the factory and the components were very nice. I'm definitely going to get a new seat, as this one is very hard and hurts the sack area but other than that I am very happy.

Anyone have a recommended PSI to run my tires for street riding?
Old 07-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #1067
Jerk_circus

My Ride: gets 70 m/gallon
nice looking bike
Old 07-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #1068
NFRs2000nyc

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #1069
Xcelratr

Quote:
Nevermind guys. Just took it down to my local shop and they tuned everything up for $30 bucks. Bike rides great. Love the shifters and LOVE the disc brakes. I can never go back to wheel brakes. Mechanic at the shop commented on how well it was put together from the factory and the components were very nice. I'm definitely going to get a new seat, as this one is very hard and hurts the sack area but other than that I am very happy.

Anyone have a recommended PSI to run my tires for street riding?
If you're just starting out riding, any seat will hurt your ass for a while. Before you spend $s on a new saddle:

#1 - make sure it's adjusted properly, both height and the nose up/down angle.

#2 - log some miles to get your ass toughened up and used to the saddle. When you first start out, ride for 30 min to 1 hr, every 3rd day. Increase time/distance and frequency over the first few weeks. If after about 2 or 3 weeks, you're still saddle sore when you get off the bike, go saddle shopping.

#3 - get real, padded cycling shorts with a good chamois. You can go tight spandex road bike shorts, or baggy mtb shorts depending on your style. But a proper chamois between your ass and the bike makes a big difference.

Re: air pressure, check the tires for the max pressure (probably about 60 psi). If you're riding strictly on pavement, you can inflate them to max. If you go off road, or you're riding on really sucky pavement, you'll probably want less psi, like about 50 ish. If you start getting into using the bike more off road, you may want even less, but the "psi for riding conditions" discussion is a detailed discussion with a lot of personal opinion and preference involved.

Enjoy the bike!

Yes
Old 07-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #1070
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
If you're just starting out riding, any seat will hurt your ass for a while. Before you spend $s on a new saddle:

#1 - make sure it's adjusted properly, both height and the nose up/down angle.

#2 - log some miles to get your ass toughened up and used to the saddle. When you first start out, ride for 30 min to 1 hr, every 3rd day. Increase time/distance and frequency over the first few weeks. If after about 2 or 3 weeks, you're still saddle sore when you get off the bike, go saddle shopping.

#3 - get real, padded cycling shorts with a good chamois. You can go tight spandex road bike shorts, or baggy mtb shorts depending on your style. But a proper chamois between your ass and the bike makes a big difference.

Re: air pressure, check the tires for the max pressure (probably about 60 psi). If you're riding strictly on pavement, you can inflate them to max. If you go off road, or you're riding on really sucky pavement, you'll probably want less psi, like about 50 ish. If you start getting into using the bike more off road, you may want even less, but the "psi for riding conditions" discussion is a detailed discussion with a lot of personal opinion and preference involved.

Enjoy the bike!
Thanks for the tips.

1) Adjusted the seat (both height and pitch) properly on day one. Made it 5 miles, and my taint was on fire. I was in agony and couldn't take it. Ordered a new seat ASAP. The saddle I got was not expensive, but got excellent reviews so we'll see how that goes. Split seat which is much wider in the rear than a standard mountain bike seat, and softer.

3) Already ordered. A few of my friends recommended I get proper bike shorts, so I did. They all made sure to tell me NOT to wear underwear with them.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #1071
Joe Trojan

My Ride: '02 325ci
Sup guys, I picked up mine this weekend. She's a beaut. Used an old trunk carrier for it, but all good. I took off the reflectors for now and been basically riding her a mile or so a day on pavement until I'm ready for the mountains. Already ate it once.

Joe Trojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #1072
330performance

My Ride: the evil-diesel
Quote:

There are lots of less-than-20-lb bikes out there, they're called road bikes. LOL
less than 20lbs non road bike...

330performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #1073
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330performance View Post
less than 20lbs non road bike...

My nuts wouldn't take more than 3 minutes on that seat
Old 07-31-2012, 11:01 PM   #1074
Xcelratr

Quote:
As long as it fits you correctly, you get used to it. It just takes time in the saddle.

Yes
Old 08-01-2012, 05:27 AM   #1075
330performance

My Ride: the evil-diesel
Quote:
selle italia flite carbonio, weighing in at 150 grams... i swear by this seat, and with enough seat time it's actually really comfortable

330performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:17 AM   #1076
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Trojan View Post
Sup guys, I picked up mine this weekend. She's a beaut. Used an old trunk carrier for it, but all good. I took off the reflectors for now and been basically riding her a mile or so a day on pavement until I'm ready for the mountains. Already ate it once.

Where do you live?

Check out geoladders.com to find SoCal mtb trails. If you have a compatible gps bike computer, you can download turn by turn route directions from that site.

There are tons of sites similar to geoladders where you can find rides.

Good beginner ride in the Santa Monica Mountains is Westridge - Sullivan Canyon. Long steady fire road climb, fast and mostly easy singletrack descent. In north OC is Fullerton Loop. Combo of multi-use trails, dirt roads, a few surface streets and RR track beds to make a loop. A few semi-technical ascents and descents, but nothing too hairy and anything you didn't want to ride is short enough to walk the bike over.

LMK if I can help. Nice bike!

Yes
Old 08-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #1077
ara

My Ride: R35 GTR/99 Acura RL
I've been neglecting my bike and feel like a piece of crap. I might be moving to a new condo with a large terrace. Part of the reason I haven't biked in a while is that I keep it at my dad's house. A bit of an inconvenience to go there and go for a ride. My new car doesn't fit a bike in or on it.

Now my question to you guys is

A. Would leaving the bike outdoors all year be harmful, I want to buy or make a cover for it to keep it protected. It would be at the end of this terrace, making a vertical bike rack. No neighbors so no one can complain.

B. What kind of cover can I use, or any suggestions?

thanks guys.

I'll know within 2 weeks if i'm moving there. Nice bike trails around.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #1078
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
Quote:
As long as it fits you correctly, you get used to it. It just takes time in the saddle.
buy a gel type Fox cycling shorts, it helps.
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #1079
DavidDee

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Do not leave it outside. It will go to **** very quickly. Get a shed or something

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App

"It has a radio and speakers but it's kinda hard to hear over horny bitches moanin in the back when I start it up.."
DavidDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #1080
ara

My Ride: R35 GTR/99 Acura RL
If it's covered with a good cover, what's the difference with a shed? No room for shed and against city by laws to build something on terrace