E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #1081
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ara View Post
If it's covered with a good cover, what's the difference with a shed? No room for shed and against city by laws to build something on terrace
The concerns outside that I can think of are moisture, sun, hot/cold, critters, organic material like tree sap, and inorganic materials like pesticides/smog.

If you get a bike bag, or just a plastic tarp and enclose the bike outside, you can pretty much eliminate or at least drastically reduce everything except the hot/cold and all but the most determined critters.

Constant temperature cycles (forgive the pun) from very cold to warm will first break down/rapidly wear out the chain lube, bearing greases and soft parts like the tires, grips, cable housings, brake pads, etc. Eventually constant exposure to daily temp swings will take a toll on the wheels, frame and other hard parts.

That's not to say you can't store the bike outside, but it's going to require a more intense maintenance routine to keep it rideable. Inside is much mo' bettah if there's any way to do it. Maybe a ceiling hook to minimize the amount of room it takes up? Think about Seinfeld's apartment.

A quick google search turns up: http://www.zerustproducts.com/bicycles/bicycle-cover

http://www.bikebags.com/bicycleprotector.html

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...06_-1___400245

Alternatively, you could get plastic sheeting from a hardware store and wrap the bike yourself.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #1082
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDee View Post
Do not leave it outside. It will go to **** very quickly. Get a shed or something

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App
He lives in a real city, a shed is not feasible. Just cover it and clean and lightly oil
Old 08-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #1083
ara

My Ride: R35 GTR/99 Acura RL
it would only be outside during the warm months in spring/summer/fall. Winter back at my dad's heated garage or in storage locker.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #1084
Miko_10

My Ride: 330i 5 Spd
thoughts on this new 650b/27.5 bike... Hard to tell if this is a big deal or just another fad but it seems to makes sense to me, e46esque of mountain bikes?

http://altitude.bikes.com/en/story/
Old 08-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #1085
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
Just got back from a ride to this on the ride back

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #1086
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko_10 View Post
thoughts on this new 650b/27.5 bike... Hard to tell if this is a big deal or just another fad but it seems to makes sense to me, e46esque of mountain bikes?

http://altitude.bikes.com/en/story/
I am FAR from an expert, either riding or about bike designs/industry. But in the last year, I've ridden both 26" and 29" wheeled bikes.

It wouldn't surprise me if the 650b bikes turn out to be more than a fad. I think they offer a middle ground between 26" and 29" wheels. Not as light, nimble and stiff as 26", not as much roll-overability and gyro effect as 29", but some combo of both. With carbon frames becoming more available, and more full suspension bikes being available at reasonable prices, I could totally see there being room in the market for the major mfgs to utilize the 3 wheel sizes across their models.

What sucks is that pretty soon if you have a bum a tube off someone out on the trail, the odds of them having the one you need will be less. Used to be just "presta or schraeder?".

BTW, RMB makes a lot of cool promotional vids. This one shows some nice riding, but check out the test rigs at 2:20 to 2:40:

Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar255 View Post
Just got back from a ride to this on the ride back
LOL, thought I was the only one that found roof-racked-bike-shadows fascinating.

Yes
Old 09-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #1087
Xcelratr

Rode Fullerton Loop today shortly after, and partially in, a light drizzle.

It was cool to feel the difference in traction with the dirt just a little moist and tacky. Most of the times I ride that route, it's bone dry and dusty.

There were a few mud spots today, but not too bad.

The sandy bits, however, seemed to me to be even more wiggly with a little moisture in them than they usually are.

Yes
Old 09-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #1088
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
kinda kooky looking

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #1089
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisch330ciTopasBlau View Post
kinda kooky looking
damn that is stupid. WHat benefit does it have.

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #1090
Xcelratr

This is going to be completely unremarkable for many of you. But almost all my riding has been in SoCal, southern AZ and Vegas. Which means dry and dusty.

Did a ride in Laguna Beach this am, started out riding in a cloud bank from Alta Laguna Park. So there was a ton of moisture in the air, and the dirt was kinda moist for most of the ride. Also rode through one short water crossing.

Still, I was really surprised to see how much dirt got stuck to the bike.

Yes
Old 09-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #1091
Xcelratr

I ordered a Road ID earlier this week.

I'd been on the fence about it for a while because I usually have my wallet with me when I ride. But I finally decided to get one simply because I don't carry any contact info for my parents in my wallet and they're not local. So if something happened to me, it might take a while for someone to get in touch with them.

I got the Wrist ID Elite in red. Decided not to get the interactive version, since I'm mostly healthy with no allegeries.

http://www.roadid.com/c/RoadID

If any Fanatic wants to order one, I have a coupon code that will save you a whopping $1! PM me if interested.

Yes
Old 09-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #1092
Camicia

My Ride: Automobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Rode Fullerton Loop today shortly after, and partially in, a light drizzle.

It was cool to feel the difference in traction with the dirt just a little moist and tacky. Most of the times I ride that route, it's bone dry and dusty.

There were a few mud spots today, but not too bad.

The sandy bits, however, seemed to me to be even more wiggly with a little moisture in them than they usually are.
I used to be there very often (I live a mile away) but now it's just once a month (if I am lucky). I was there last Sunday, though...
Camicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #1093
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camicia View Post
I used to be there very often (I live a mile away) but now it's just once a month (if I am lucky). I was there last Sunday, though...
Right on. I rode it Sunday, too. Started about 9 am.

Takes me about 1:15 to 1:20 to do it, but I bypass the last hill right by the dam. That's still too steep for me to tackle.

If you want to meet there and ride it sometime, let me know. I get over there about 2 or 3 times a month.

Yes
Old 09-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #1094
Camicia

My Ride: Automobile
Quote:
Right on. I rode it Sunday, too. Started about 9 am.

Takes me about 1:15 to 1:20 to do it, but I bypass the last hill right by the dam. That's still too steep for me to tackle.

If you want to meet there and ride it sometime, let me know. I get over there about 2 or 3 times a month.
Absolutely
I used to do it in a little over an hour but now I believe I would have a hard time keeping up with you. I am old and broken...
Camicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #1095
Stanc3

My Ride: 99' JB 328i
Yeah we ride Fully Loop as well, not as much as we should though.

Mainly ride Santiago Oaks, as its pretty much our backyard, and awesome. A Saturday a month or so, we'll head to Cars & Coffee early as s!it, then Aliso Woods after. Goodtimes! Lastly Chino hills for some nice fireroads etc..

- Albert Einstein
- Chad
Stanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #1096
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Did a sick MTB trip last week to Downieville in north Tahoe. Check out my vid:

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #1097
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camicia View Post
Absolutely
I used to do it in a little over an hour but now I believe I would have a hard time keeping up with you. I am old and broken...
Yeah, lemme tell you how laid back I am when I ride. I take it nice and easy, no bomber stuff for me (looks nervously in kuksul08's direction).

Buddy of mine went over the bars in BC last spring, broke both his wrists. After watching what he went through with his parents and bro washing him and dressing him and all that crap, and all the surgeries he went through, and what it takes to heal at our age, my first priority is bringing all my bits and pieces home intact. The paycheck's about the same whether it takes me 1:15 or 1:45.

So I'm TOTALLY fine going out for an easy cruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanc3 View Post
Yeah we ride Fully Loop as well, not as much as we should though.

Mainly ride Santiago Oaks, as its pretty much our backyard, and awesome. A Saturday a month or so, we'll head to Cars & Coffee early as s!it, then Aliso Woods after. Goodtimes! Lastly Chino hills for some nice fireroads etc..
I'm doing Tour de Cure tomorrow, signed up for the 20 mile road/10 mile mtb combo. The mtb ride is (I think) in Aliso Woods. I just did a ride 2 weeks ago from Alta Laguna Park, down the hill and back up, not sure the names of the trails, though.

Let's ride boys. I'm SO not a stud rider at all. In fact, it's only very recently that I have been strong/skilled/courageous enough to pedal the entire Fullerton Loop and not walk any of it. So if you're super fast, I cannot keep up.

But if you guys are up for a nice easy lap of Fullerton Loop, lets set up a Fanatic ride.

This weekend is already booked for me, but I could ride Saturday the 6th or Monday the 8th (it's Columbus Day). Whatcha think?

Stanc3, I need a place that's like a 0 on a technical scale of 1 - 10 to take a very very beginning rider. I tried to take her on Fullerton Loop but she was so nervous on dirt that before we even got to any bumpy stuff, she was overwhelmed, so we rode around on the pavement for a while. I think an entire ride of fire roads would be just what she needs. Got a ride in Chino Hills you can recommend that you'd take a total newb on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post

Yeah, I used an online calculator to figure out that you're 482.6 times ballsier than I am.

You're not invited to our Fullerton Loop Fanatic ride, you crazy mofo.

Kidding of course. Looks like a great place to ride and you handle that trail really well. Thanks for posting the vid.

Yes

Last edited by Xcelratr; 09-29-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #1098
JaaPee

My Ride: ///M
Quote:

Want to ride that someday. My friend races there.
JaaPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #1099
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:

Yeah, I used an online calculator to figure out that you're 482.6 times ballsier than I am.

You're not invited to our Fullerton Loop Fanatic ride, you crazy mofo.

Kidding of course. Looks like a great place to ride and you handle that trail really well. Thanks for posting the vid.
I went with my uncle last year and he handled it just fine, I'm sure you could do it. It had been a whole year since I rode MTB at all, and it reminded me just how sketchy and dangerous it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaaPee View Post
Want to ride that someday. My friend races there.
I have a couple friends who raced it, I could never do it. The longest stretch I did was the whole third divide to the road without stopping and it pretty much killed me. You can even see me stretching my fingers in the beginning of the vid cause it hurt so bad, and this was near the beginning.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0

Last edited by kuksul08; 09-29-2012 at 01:10 AM.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:49 AM   #1100
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Quote:
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote