E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #1341
pancakes

My Ride: BMW M, VW GTI, BIKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
It's easy.
-Put the cable adjusters all the way in at the clicker and at the derailleur.
-Then screw in the derailleur to the hanger.
-Then push it manually and look from the back and adjust the high and low limit screws so it roughly lines up with each end gear.
-Then pull the cable as tight as you can with your finger and screw the locking plate down onto it.
-Lastly start tightening the cable adjusters until it indexes properly. You will need to fine tune the high and low limits but those only apply to the biggest and smallest gears.
Well it's on and it seems to be working now. My biggest problem is that every "how-to" video/site seemed to gloss over what orientation the derailleur should be attached to the frame. I rotated it a little counter-clockwise and it seems a lot better now.
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #1342
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Going to post this here and in the MTB thread..

Pissed off. I just got my shimano clipless setup so I went to install the pedals. Took out the first pedal off the bike on the left side with no problem, then I went to take out the right pedal and stripped it.... Now it's completely rounded out. No way I can take a adjustable pliers because the pedal part itself is round and unfortunately the right leg is the bigger one that goes to the gears for the bike. I tried to take a bigger bit and use some leverage but it kept slipping. Help My only choice that I see is getting a new right leg for the bike.

Here's a pic of what I mean. I think I need to buy a new SR SUNTOUR CW13-NEX-T102-PB crankset

http://imageshack.us/a/img593/3481/gt9m.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img24/7281/eiru.jpg

Last edited by Solidjake; 08-27-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #1343
asubimmer

My Ride: 99' e46 323i
Anyone have any interest in some old school Spin wheels? 26" obv...

asubimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:41 AM   #1344
330performance

My Ride: the evil-diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post

Pissed off. I just got my shimano clipless setup so I went to install the pedals. Took out the first pedal off the bike on the left side with no problem, then I went to take out the right pedal and stripped it.... Now it's completely rounded out. No way I can take a adjustable pliers because the pedal part itself is round and unfortunately the right leg is the bigger one that goes to the gears for the bike. I tried to take a bigger bit and use some leverage but it kept slipping. Help My only choice that I see is getting a new right leg for the bike.

Here's a pic of what I mean. I think I need to buy a new SR SUNTOUR CW13-NEX-T102-PB crankset

i would try drilling it out first... due to the fact that the pedal assembly is made out of hardened steel, you need to get a drill bit that's up to the task. The diameter of the drill bit should be just slightly smaller than the inner diameter of the part of the crank that the pedal screws into. You also need to make sure that the drill is perfectly centered before you start drilling, if it's off there is a good chance of ruining the crank.
330performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #1345
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Soak it in Liquid Wrench and use some vice grips.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #1346
forced240

Quote:

You do know that the drive side crankarm has right handed (reverse) threads right? Righty loosey. I've seen this happen quite a bit. You'll need to pull the crank arm and drive in a 5/16 hex bit for a 3/8 ratchet.
forced240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #1347
forced240

Quote:
Originally Posted by asubimmer View Post
Anyone have any interest in some old school Spin wheels? 26" obv...

Sorry to be a buzzkill but...
I was racing a couple years back in a local series. Following a guy that had some spins. He hit a small roller, caught maybe 3 feet of air. He landed smoothly, the front wheel exploded, he landed on his head and is now paralyzed from the neck down. Sell them to somebody you don't like or hang them on a wall, but don't ride them.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #1348
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Just came back from my trusty auto mechanic. He was able to grind the pedal to give it two nice flat spots and used vice grips to take them out. I added some anti-seize to the new pedals as well.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #1349
forced240

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakes View Post
Well it's on and it seems to be working now. My biggest problem is that every "how-to" video/site seemed to gloss over what orientation the derailleur should be attached to the frame. I rotated it a little counter-clockwise and it seems a lot better now.
Did you replace the derailleur hanger? (the piece between the frame and the derailleur) If not, you should. Bending them back after a spoke eating is very difficult and will lead to shifting problems.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #1350
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Riding clipless is fkn awesome. Never going back to flats.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #1351
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Riding clipless is fkn awesome. Never going back to flats.
Pretty big difference, huh?

Climbing is soooo much better when you can apply power through 360 degs instead of just mashing down the pedal. Managing the traction is easier, your legs last longer, you've got additional control over the middle of the bike. It's just a happy thing.

Glad your mechanic could help you out of your jam.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #1352
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Yup, the pedals are incredible. I did fall once though haha. I laughed it off as some guy came to help me.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #1353
Xcelratr

Quote:
Yup, the pedals are incredible. I did fall once though haha. I laughed it off as some guy came to help me.
A lesson I learned about riding clipless: obviously situations vary, but if you're just falling over at low speed when you're clipped in, you're often best served by just keeping your hands on the handlebars. Putting your hand down can result in hand/wrist/elbow/shoulder injury. If you keep your hands on the bars and hit the ground with your leg/hip/side/shoulder all at once, you'll get dirty, but you'll spread the force of the fall out over a great area and minimize injury.

Again, depends on the situation. Always protect your head at all costs. And things like cactus (maybe not many of those in NYC), parked cars, hand rails and so on in your path can certainly change your priorities.

Yes
Old 09-01-2013, 04:54 AM   #1354
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

* Official* Mountain Bike Thread

Clipped a tree yesterday and landed in a big bush of thorns. Taking them out was a pain in the ass

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1378029242.279035.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	524528

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #1355
Xcelratr

Quote:
Clipped a tree yesterday and landed in a big bush of thorns. Taking them out was a pain in the ass

Attachment 524528
I take it they weren't lodged in your ass, or you would have phrased that differently?

Last spring, I did REI's Intro to Mountain Biking class.

A buddy that I ride roadie with frequently, but who has always claimed to be scared of mountain biking, finally expressed an interest in trying it. So for her b-day, I took her to the REI class. Same location, one of the same instructors as before, one new guy. She had a great time and really enjoyed it. She may officially be an mtber.

Yes
Old 09-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #1356
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

yea but luckily I have riding shorts so it's double layered.

I need to fix up my front brake since it's squealing when I'm biking. But for a month of biking my stamina has increased a lot and my calves are getting bigger and bigger
Old 09-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #1357
Xcelratr

Assuming they're discs, it could be as simple as cleaning the disc and pads. Rubbing alcohol and then a really thorough rinsing might fix you right up.

I'm doing the mtb route at the Giro di San Diego on Sunday. It's about 30 miles and consists of 3 out-and-backs. At each turn around, you get a totem. The whole thing has a Monty Python and the Holy Grail theme. The totems are the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, The Wooden Rabbit and The Holy Grail.

Yes
Old 09-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #1358
328isawesome

My Ride: Batmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Assuming they're discs, it could be as simple as cleaning the disc and pads. Rubbing alcohol and then a really thorough rinsing might fix you right up.

I'm doing the mtb route at the Giro di San Diego on Sunday. It's about 30 miles and consists of 3 out-and-backs. At each turn around, you get a totem. The whole thing has a Monty Python and the Holy Grail theme. The totems are the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, The Wooden Rabbit and The Holy Grail.
I'll give the rubbing alcohol a try as my front disk breaks are squealing also. I just assumed I needed new pads but kind of liked the squeal because I use it to warn joggers of my oncoming, I've found a loud squeal gets their attention better than "on your left/right" especially the ones with headphones. Good luck with your ride on Sunday!

328isawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #1359
328isawesome

My Ride: Batmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328isawesome View Post
I'll give the rubbing alcohol a try as my front disk breaks are squealing also. I just assumed I needed new pads but kind of liked the squeal because I use it to warn joggers of my oncoming, I've found a loud squeal gets their attention better than "on your left/right" especially the ones with headphones. Good luck with your ride on Sunday!

I'm probably preaching to the choir but remember to ride safe guys. Saw this nice bike memorial on my ride downtown today.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

328isawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #1360
jwm5

My Ride: station wagon
brakes probably just have dirt or sand particle in them, I give mine a good spray down with water after a dirty ride and that usually works...

for getting walker/jogger out of the way and old school bike bell works wonders, I gave up on trying to verbally give people a heads up, half the time they cant hear you or ignore you...
jwm5 is offline   Reply With Quote