E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:48 PM   #121
Jerk_circus

My Ride: gets 70 m/gallon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ara View Post
where does this bike stack up against what i posted? it looks sturdy, but i don't know crap all about bikes, so is this a "really" good bike, cuz it sure as hell looks like it, i'm kinda scared to find out how much. K found this bike on their site at 995$ but i can't find which stores carry them, i like how it looks. can't wait for a report also
Here's the link to the OP's bike for $399.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._cliff4900.htm

They dont sell these bikes in stores, and for us Canadians shipping is a bit of a pain since they dont ship outside the US. (you can ship it to a friend in the USA - it's free anyways - and have them ship it over to Canada)

Compared to the Devinci and Trek, nothing in the Trek/Devinci lineup can compare to the Windsor at the SAME PRICE. The closest is the Devinci Cameleon3 or the Trek 4500/6000 - all three of these bikes are at least twice as expensive (the trek 6000 is slightly better too). The Cameleon4 is a better bike than the windsor - better brakes, better front fork, comparable drivetrain...

Just like Ghostie said, you dont have to spend a lot of money to get into biking. And if you put brand aside, you can get a great bike for a fraction of the cost. Make sure the bike is tuned properly before you ride.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:00 AM   #122
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3

My Ride: AC Schnitzer E46
I have a Trek 4300 Disc. My first real mountain bike I wish I had a more comfortable seat since I've been riding a lot around town.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ries/4300disc/

I hope to ride it more now that the weather is warming up.

Oregon, USA

2000 323i | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint

_.dstrukt.n1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:12 AM   #123
wiedrick2005

My Ride: POS
Just picked this up the other day for $500. All it needed was a new chain, new oil and grease
Specialized bighit.. Can't wait until finals are over and take it to the mountains!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sdgsgs.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	357104  
wiedrick2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:15 AM   #124
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Priorities man!! Haha..
It can get quite addicting.

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #125
Breyton-BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDog View Post
Pretty long wasnt racing, and couldnt cuz of all the people. but rode for a little over an hour. beautifull evening Just cant get my bike computer to work, does that sensor HAVE to be within 1mm from the magnet? Cuz my spokes doesnt allow that

On saturday i will ride down to key biscayne from my place and back, about 21 miles. so thats gonna be awesome, dont think ive went that long on a bike in 10 years lol
You can move the location of the sensor lower in the fork and the magnet closer to the hub. That will bring them closer together.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #126
LowDog

My Ride: Ferguson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyton-BMW View Post
You can move the location of the sensor lower in the fork and the magnet closer to the hub. That will bring them closer together.
No dude i tried that, its pretty weird havent had this problem before. its gonna be like at least 5mm inbetween unless i mount the hub on the discbrake.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #127
Breyton-BMW

Quote:
No dude i tried that, its pretty weird havent had this problem before. its gonna be like at least 5mm inbetween unless i mount the hub on the discbrake.
That's weird. That method always solves my clearance issues. Try putting a rubber pad under the sensor to bring it closer.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #128
LowDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyton-BMW View Post
That's weird. That method always solves my clearance issues. Try putting a rubber pad under the sensor to bring it closer.
Yeah same on my old bikes. Gotta do that just ran out of zip ties lol
Old 04-22-2010, 08:42 AM   #129
Breyton-BMW

Quote:
Yeah same on my old bikes. Gotta do that just ran out of zip ties lol
Don't skimp on the zip ties. Make sure to get good quality ones. I lost a sensor because of cheap zip ties before.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #130
ara

My Ride: R35 GTR/99 Acura RL
Quote:
Originally Posted by _.dstrukt.n1ne View Post
I have a Trek 4300 Disc. My first real mountain bike I wish I had a more comfortable seat since I've been riding a lot around town.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ries/4300disc/

I hope to ride it more now that the weather is warming up.

that's a sick looking bike at a great price, wow, there are so many choices, the 6 series in Trek bikes i don't mind getting, but they're not 29er
Old 04-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #131
rEid46_323

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
i dont like how trek and most brands changed their thumb shifters. on older bikes (2 or 3 years ago) there was a paddle for your thumb and a paddle for your index finger. now both are for the thumb and you have to reach farther to get the second paddle.... i know this is stupid but i cant stand it.

rEid46_323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #132
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Trek doesn't make the shifters as far as I know (not sure about the lower end bikes)

All the shifters I've ever seen on any MTB were either made by Shimano or SRAM
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #133
cnebrask

My Ride: e46 M3
I ride a '09 Santa Cruz Nomad II.. Pic is of me on top of South Mountain in Phoenix AZ, National Trail. If anyone knows Mountain Biking knows that Nation Trail is one of the nastiest trails around! Bike was $4500.

One piece of advice for the OP.. check out MTBR.com and read the reviews on all the bikes.. the reviews will answer alot of questions.

cnebrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #134
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Nomads are nice^^

I was split between the nomad and VP Free but went with the VP Free (4 years ago). Nomad is much better all around bike, vpf is much more DH.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #135
ara

My Ride: R35 GTR/99 Acura RL

i graduated, made my way to some stores, and gary fisher's are all sold out no orders either

So i have to find a store that stocks it
Old 04-22-2010, 07:38 PM   #136
LowDog

Quote:

i graduated, made my way to some stores, and gary fisher's are all sold out no orders either

Damn that sucks dude. im probably one of the most impatient people in the world so i know how you feel!

Rode 9 miles again today. nothing crazy but apparently im in pretty bad shape lol
Old 04-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #137
Bimm3rSpeedstr

My Ride: 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by rEid46_323 View Post
i dont like how trek and most brands changed their thumb shifters. on older bikes (2 or 3 years ago) there was a paddle for your thumb and a paddle for your index finger. now both are for the thumb and you have to reach farther to get the second paddle.... i know this is stupid but i cant stand it.
I don't like it either, far too often when I'm hitting a tricky downhill section, I'll hit it by accident, and if I don't notice
Old 04-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #138
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:

I had a SRAM X.0 rear shifter and it broke, so I put a shimano XT in its place. I like the finger/thumb action better as well.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:29 AM   #139
Breyton-BMW

Quote:
Most probably made by SRAM. I'm a fan of their grip shifters. Much cleaner looking and shifts much faster.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:24 AM   #140
Breyton-BMW

Quote:

Are these available? They have very good reviews. They specialize in 29er bikes.

http://www.ninerbikes.com/fly.aspx?layout=bike

If you wanna go all out baller?

http://www.ellsworthbikes.com/bikes/mountain/evolve/

Only in my dreams though.