E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!

Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!
This forum contains "official" polls and surveys

View Poll Results: Do you have a manual or Auto?
Manual 647 61.62%
Auto 368 35.05%
I dont know 35 3.33%
Voters: 1050. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #21
BruceWayne
OEM ///Member
 
BruceWayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 578
My Ride: 03 LSB ///M3
^ Really? Because smg isn't really either
BruceWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #22
330I6SPD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 1,768
My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWayne View Post
^ Really? Because smg isn't really either
.........SMG......"sequential manual gearbox".............""sequential MANUAL gearbox"............... Any idea what type it might be??? The hydraulic actuation is irrevelant to the TYPE of transmission!
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #23
smg330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 861
My Ride: 3 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330I6SPD View Post
.........SMG......"sequential manual gearbox".............""sequential MANUAL gearbox"............... Any idea what type it might be??? The hydraulic actuation is irrevelant to the TYPE of transmission!
I can see your point but....... a manual is a manual , where you have to use your left foot and your right hand

a SMG tranny you dont do either because it has a drive mode

there fore anyone doesnt or cannot drive a manual transmission ..ie: a wife kid ect... can drive one

I really dont know how to classify the SMG, but everyone has personal opinions
__________________
DFWeuros.com
smg330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #24
330I6SPD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 1,768
My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg330 View Post
I can see your point but....... a manual is a manual , where you have to use your left foot and your right hand

a SMG tranny you dont do either because it has a drive mode

there fore anyone doesnt or cannot drive a manual transmission ..ie: a wife kid ect... can drive one

I really dont know how to classify the SMG, but everyone has personal opinions
The transmission internals define trans type. If it has a clutch, gears, syncros, shift forks, etc, it is a MANUAL. If it has a torque converter, bands, drums, etc, it is an automatic. How it is shifted (Clutch/stick or SMG), is of no matter when defining trans type.

Using the retarded logic "can it shift itself" to defining trans type, you could make the argument that a schleptronic is a manual because it has a little +/- sidegate on the shifter that allows for manual gear selection.
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #25
smg330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 861
My Ride: 3 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330I6SPD View Post
The transmission internals define trans type. If it has a clutch, gears, syncros, shift forks, etc, it is a MANUAL. If it has a torque converter, bands, drums, etc, it is an automatic. How it is shifted (Clutch/stick or SMG), is of no matter when defining trans type.

Using the retarded logic "can it shift itself" to defining trans type, you could make the argument that a schleptronic is a manual because it has a little +/- sidegate on the shifter that allows for manual gear selection.
i guess you forgot to read where i put "PERSONAL OPINION"?
__________________
DFWeuros.com
smg330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #26
330I6SPD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 1,768
My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
I find it enlightening that ALL the engineers at BMW, Ferrari, Bugatti, M' Benz, ZF, Borg Warner and the numerous other maufacturers who understand this type of transmission ALL define it as an "AUTOMATED MANUAL TRANSMISSION".
Only the uneducated owners refer to SMGs and the likes as an "automatic transmission".

An automated manual trans is NOT an automatic trans! Ask an engineer!
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #27
smg330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 861
My Ride: 3 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330I6SPD View Post
I find it enlightening that ALL the engineers at BMW, Ferrari, Bugatti, M' Benz, ZF, Borg Warner and the numerous other maufacturers who understand this type of transmission ALL define it as an "AUTOMATED MANUAL TRANSMISSION".
Only the uneducated owners refer to SMGs and the likes as an "automatic transmission".

An automated manual trans is NOT an automatic trans! Ask an engineer!
ok we get your point, your a genius.
__________________
DFWeuros.com
smg330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #28
rEid46_323
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 118
My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg330 View Post
ok we get your point, your a genius.
not really... its kinda common knowledge.

look at pics of the planetary gearset inside of an auto tranny and then look at pics of the gear set in a manual. now examine the smg...

also the torque converter is a huge difference. smg still has clutch(es) just not foot operated.
__________________

rEid46_323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:32 PM   #29
330I6SPD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 1,768
My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg330 View Post
ok we get your point, your a genius.
Never claimed to be a genius. I'm a contract aerostructures engineer.
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #30
smg330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 861
My Ride: 3 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330I6SPD View Post
Never claimed to be a genius. I'm a contract aerostructures engineer.
ohhhh ok
__________________
DFWeuros.com
smg330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #31
330I6SPD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 1,768
My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg330 View Post
ohhhh ok
Wow, I'm so relieved you approve of my chosen career path.
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #32
smg330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 861
My Ride: 3 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330I6SPD View Post
Wow, I'm so relieved you approve of my chosen career path.
ok i really am tired of playing with you on this thread!! lol you are right about the smg transmission ..there i said it
__________________
DFWeuros.com
smg330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #33
smg330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 861
My Ride: 3 series
friends?
__________________
DFWeuros.com
smg330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #34
330I6SPD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 1,768
My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
Its all good!
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #35
BobSC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 713
My Ride: 01 330Cic, 07 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by rEid46_323 View Post
not really... its kinda common knowledge.

look at pics of the planetary gearset inside of an auto tranny and then look at pics of the gear set in a manual. now examine the smg...

also the torque converter is a huge difference. smg still has clutch(es) just not foot operated.
Way too much thought went into this. He was giving his opinion.....I don't think he dissected the transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330I6SPD View Post
The transmission internals define trans type. If it has a clutch, gears, syncros, shift forks, etc, it is a MANUAL. If it has a torque converter, bands, drums, etc, it is an automatic. How it is shifted (Clutch/stick or SMG), is of no matter when defining trans type.

Using the retarded logic "can it shift itself" to defining trans type, you could make the argument that a schleptronic is a manual because it has a little +/- sidegate on the shifter that allows for manual gear selection.
This is like the 10th thread I have seen from you where you mention that you are in the aerospace industry. You would think if that was true, you could articulate a point without having to insult others. You have to admit, you don't sound very bright at times......
__________________


2007 750Li (Sold)
2001 330Cic
2000 328i(Sold)
2004 X3
2012 X3
2012 750Li
BobSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #36
raybiff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 29
My Ride: 330i
MANual
raybiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #37
boomr5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: BK. N.Y.
Posts: 145
My Ride: E30 MTech,e46 325iT
I got lucky.I wanted an e46 sedan,5 spd., w/sport package,and found all of the above.
Plus the ability to haul stuff from Home Depot.
__________________
boomr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #38
alwaysbored786
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fairfax, Va
Posts: 5,785
My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
the poll results speak for themselves
__________________

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:35 PM   #39
cr8tive
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: seattle, wa
Posts: 75
My Ride: E46
330xi in manual!
cr8tive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #40
EFourTSix
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 9
My Ride: '00 323Ci
I find it enlightening that ALL the engineers at BMW, Ferrari, Bugatti, M' Benz, ZF, Borg Warner and the numerous other maufacturers who understand this type of transmission ALL define it as an "AUTOMATED MANUAL TRANSMISSION".
Huh, says automated. maybe an auto mated a manual.
Actually, I have a manual, I keep it in the console in case I need to put gas in the car. It tells me where the gas cap is. Nice manual.
EFourTSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use