E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
sportf190
Banned User

My Ride: DELETE ****
upgraded wheels tons of problems help

hey i upgraded my stock 16" rims on my 2003 325i to 18" wheels with tire size 235/40/18... I have had nothing but problems.. i first had alot of shaking so figured it was a balancing issue so i went and got it balanced still there. Then i read that i needed hub centric rings so i went and installed them a week later. Before i put them on i heard a constant click noise that would go away when i hit the brake.. it would speed up as i drove faster. Since the hub rings did not solve it I went back to pepboys to get it rebalanced and the wheel still shakes and the noise is still there. They said it needs control arm bushings but what does that have to do with a clicking sound that goes away with the brake? I can't seem to find information and my car has 60k on it so i know that it will need them but i don't have 850 dollars that pepboys wants to replace them any help guys? on what this problem is? and why would my control arm bushings start to make noises like 4 days after my wheels were installed doesnt make sense
sportf190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
Elkhound
Banned

My Ride: 2003 330xi
Can't quite answer your question, but I can tell you that our cars definitely need control arm bushings by 60k miles, mine does right now at 55k miles. And the dealer quoted me $500 to do the job for parts/labor so pepboys definitely shouldn't be quoting you $850 unless they're planning on replacing the control arms too. Good luck, I'm having my own problems trying to figure out why my style 68 wheels keep falling out of balance after only a couple of weeks.. I'm beginning to question whether it could be related to the fact I need control arm bushings, but am not quite sure about that either.. I hear no unsual sounds, clicking or otherwise..
Elkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
sportf190
Banned User

yes they said they can't just replace the bushing they need to replace the whole part.. so I have seen a threads on how to do it yourself im not handy but i won't pay 500 for bushings replacement, so i have no choice and do you think its just the bushings and not the whole part.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
Why would it be the whole part when its the bushing that wears out?
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
sportf190
Banned User

I don't know bro they say that to make more money do u have a good site to get them from and is it hard to install by myself.. And u think the ticking noise is related?
Old 04-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #6
glovesoff

My Ride: 1999 328i
I would say the ticking has to do with something on your brakes sticking, maybe e-brake?
Old 04-19-2010, 12:17 AM   #7
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Clicking is prolly a brake pad clip that's making the pad move at speed, and when the brake is applied the torque makes the pad move to where its silent. The control arms on I think pre 04 control arms, the ball joints cannot be replaced. The entire arm has to be done. Control arm bushings can still be replaced. If the car will align and doesn't pull side to side under braking, your control arms, and ball joints and bushings may be fine. Check if you have a brake pad that's lose. Check ALL 8 of them. Put the hubcentric rings back on, you will want those on there regardless.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote