E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
xlash

My Ride: '05 325i MT
Where is the fuel filter??

Ok big fail on my part. I removed the fuse but when I went to locate the fuel filter, I can't find it. Is it under the right side of the car? I jacked up the right side but can't find it. Or is it somewhere in the glove compartment?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
DaHammer

My Ride: 2003 E46
It's on the left side (eg driver's side), almost behind the jack pad. It's covered by a metal protective shield. BTW, it's loong, probably 12" or so.
DaHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
under driver seat under car, behind some funky looking shield.
quick google search revealed....

http://bimmerinfo.com/diy/fuel-filter/
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
UTL1098

My Ride: DINAN 135i, T4R LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHammer View Post
BTW, it's loong, probably 12" or so.
That's what she said.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
DaHammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_mikes7 View Post
That's what she said.
LOL! I hear yea. All I know is if I were as big as an E46 fuel filter, I probably couldn't get within 10' of a woman before she'd strike out in a dead run in the opposite direction.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
xlash

Damnit, I removed the 10mm nut but cannot get the filter out. Can somebody please explain how I take the filter housing out? I'm the worst DIY'er ever. I do everything and in the last part I fail.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
^ did you click the link i posted?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
you know you have to remove the hoses...they're all with some weird screw clamp on mine, but a flat head screwdriver worked for me.

Be sure to point it in the right direction...arrow to engine...tighten clamps...

Also, before starting, turn to Pos 2 for 5 secs, pause 5, turn on 5...then you can start...you're priming in case you're wondering.

But check the diy...I always forget details...like check for leaks by smoking nearby! LOL (JK...just in case you're not only bad at diying, but at recognizing humor too! )

HTH

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
York

My Ride: 01 330Ci
Yes - use the link above!!! I just did mine this past weekend and used this very link. Make sure to have a pan so that gas doesn't spill all over the floor.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
Gheybe

My Ride: C6 Z06
Quote:
It's on the left side (eg driver's side), almost behind the jack pad. It's covered by a metal protective shield. BTW, it's loong, probably 12" or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_mikes7 View Post
That's what she said.
No, that's what I told her.
Gheybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
xlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
^ did you click the link i posted?
Yup that's the DIY I was following
Old 04-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
xlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
you know you have to remove the hoses...they're all with some weird screw clamp on mine, but a flat head screwdriver worked for me.

Be sure to point it in the right direction...arrow to engine...tighten clamps...

Also, before starting, turn to Pos 2 for 5 secs, pause 5, turn on 5...then you can start...you're priming in case you're wondering.

But check the diy...I always forget details...like check for leaks by smoking nearby! LOL (JK...just in case you're not only bad at diying, but at recognizing humor too! )

HTH

Doug
I successfully undid the clamps. Those were pretty easy actually. But I cannot remove the fuel filter from the bracket. Is it supposed to slide out?
Old 04-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Undo the bolt...then lift bracket down and off...just slides in on the side opposite the bolt.

Undo clamps, pull off filter and pull out filter.

You might use a small cork or something...or hose clamp to stop gas from dripping...careful if you think hoses are old and dried out...though my hoses, at 200K seemed fine...yes dried out, but fine otherwise...I redid them anyway, with 1 meter of $44 bmw fuel line hose! I replaced all the hoses around there for that price! Man!

Anyway, hope that helps.

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
DaHammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmilori View Post
No, that's what I told her.
Dang, after re-reading my post if I would have left the word "metal" off, it would have been a classic, huh! LOL!!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #15
DaHammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlash View Post
I successfully undid the clamps. Those were pretty easy actually. But I cannot remove the fuel filter from the bracket. Is it supposed to slide out?
Take the bolt out of the bracket, then you can remove the bracket. Also, you should probably replace the hose clamps. The ones on it are made in such a way that they can not be tightened with a screw driver, only loosened. In a pinch, you can tighten them using a pair of pliers, but the best way is to just replace them, which is probably why they are made the way they are to begin with.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #16
xlash

Quote:
Take the bolt out of the bracket, then you can remove the bracket. Also, you should probably replace the hose clamps. The ones on it are made in such a way that they can not be tightened with a screw driver, only loosened. In a pinch, you can tighten them using a pair of pliers, but the best way is to just replace them, which is probably why they are made the way they are to begin with.
I tightened them properly with pliers. But the way you guys are talking it seems as soon a you removed the 10mm bolt, the bracket just dropped. In my case the bracket is jammed tight. I cannot wedge it out. I know how to do everything else, I just cannot get the fuel filter out of the bracket. That's what I need help with.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #17
York

My Ride: 01 330Ci
After taking the 10mm nut off the bracket, I had to squeeze the bracket together (just a little) so that the hole was not rubbing against the threads. It should then swing down so that you can remove the filter. Same for putting it back together. I hooked the bracket in the slot on one side and then squeezed the bracket together to clear the threaded stud.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #18
DaHammer

Hmm, ok. Prehaps it has gotten hot and the rubber cover around the filter has adhered to the bracket? Maybe try cutting it loose with a razor knife? I'm not sure, it should just pop right off once you have the nut off. Look at the drawing below, maybe that will offer some insight into how it's suppose to be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E46FuelFilter.png
Views:	67
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	356736  
Old 04-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #19
DaHammer

Yeah, what York said. You'll have to manuever it a little to get the bracket to release from the threads of the bolt.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:28 AM   #20
xlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by York View Post
After taking the 10mm nut off the bracket, I had to squeeze the bracket together (just a little) so that the hole was not rubbing against the threads. It should then swing down so that you can remove the filter. Same for putting it back together. I hooked the bracket in the slot on one side and then squeezed the bracket together to clear the threaded stud.
Did you just squeeze the bracket with your hands? I tried to pull the bracket down and it felt mighty rigid. I'll give it a try again tomorrow.