E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #41
E46Moonlight

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by keromin4151 View Post
Nice DIY. I bet this is going to help many people. Oh yeah question - Has anyone try mixing two different krylon spray to get different color? I know you could brush it on or spray it. So, if you could brush it on one coat, technically you should be able to pool large amount of krylon liquid to mix it together. I could only imagine that orange would stop cars cuz it means "Danger this BMW is bad ass".

Anyhow, thanks for DIY.

P.S. Anyone figure out how to make this staining permanent without distortion of color over time due to lamp heat?
As far as getting orange, I'm sure you can find someone that sells a spray can, krylon isn't the only company making stain glass spray paint. I think valspar sells them too. Brushing it on will look bad, don't do it. A spray ensure a nice even and flush finish.

This is already permanent! No need to clear coat or add a second coat of color, end results will make it look flat(matte finish) and end up looking like sh!t. So far this mod hasn't been on cars long enough to determine whether or not they will fade overtime due to sun exposure and lamp heat. One can only hope that it will hold up against those elements.
E46Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #42
bimmerman25

My Ride: 2003 330 ci
looks great man i just cant seem to find any places that sell this paint its starting to annoy me haha
bimmerman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:28 PM   #43
GodsSon

My Ride: 325i
Hey E46Moonlight, I almost sold on this mod, I just a couple reservations! I'm wondering how this mod looks with angel eyes. All the pictures I see don't really show the car from a distance with angel eyes and especially at night. I would hate for those yellow center bowls to take away from the angel eyes themselves and kinda start looking like DRL's? If you know what I mean? I want to know how these shine! I just got clears all round and wondering if this would be a step back.

Do you have Umnitza Angel eyes? Could you post a pic at night from a few meters away?
GodsSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:58 PM   #44
E46Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerman25 View Post
looks great man i just cant seem to find any places that sell this paint its starting to annoy me haha
Michael's Near you

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsSon View Post
Hey E46Moonlight, I almost sold on this mod, I just a couple reservations! I'm wondering how this mod looks with angel eyes. All the pictures I see don't really show the car from a distance with angel eyes and especially at night. I would hate for those yellow center bowls to take away from the angel eyes themselves and kinda start looking like DRL's? If you know what I mean? I want to know how these shine! I just got clears all round and wondering if this would be a step back.

Do you have Umnitza Angel eyes? Could you post a pic at night from a few meters away?
Yea, I have Umnitza Orion V2's.
Here are some night shot for you. not the greatest pics but i think they do some justice.

Here's some night shots before the mod.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:26 AM   #45
paul46rider

My Ride: e46 m3 carbon black
great DIY, i really want to do this but i can't get the paint in the uk and i can't find anyone who will ship it to the uk. If anyone has any spare they want to sell and send over pls let me know

AC SCHNITZER E46 M3
paul46rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #46
andyb-325

My Ride: 325 mtec coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul46rider View Post
great DIY, i really want to do this but i can't get the paint in the uk and i can't find anyone who will ship it to the uk. If anyone has any spare they want to sell and send over pls let me know
as paul said above i really like this mod but being in the uk i carnt get hold of the paint either, so as above anyone who fancies sending a tin of paint over to the uk i would really appreciate it cheers
Old 06-07-2010, 12:29 AM   #47
kalee

My Ride: E90 335xi
I did mine today ..took me 10min.it looks
sexy as fk
kalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #48
omar2006

My Ride: 00 323ci and 03 M3
I just did mine too!! Bought some cheap bowls on eBay actually.... but they were never used so

For after seeing J4K2onE 's blue M3 I had to try this myself. Plus, it's as cheap as $10 if all your buying is the rattle can.

I'll put up pics of the finished product once I get my new headlight covers

Old 06-15-2010, 06:52 AM   #49
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Great work! I was thinking of getting my LCM flashed for DRL's this would look sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Moonlight View Post
Someone can corret me if I'm wrong, but I think for your facelift lights you would have to bake the lights in an oven or use a heat gun to take them apart. After you have them out you could then follow this diy to spray the bowls. Just use the search button and found a diy!
Mine is facelifted-The HID components are AL (not sure if that makes a difference). HL lenses are gasketed and held in with clips-8 in all I think. Really esay to reomve.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff

Last edited by Rickna; 06-15-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:52 AM   #50
E46Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar2006 View Post
The bowls look to dim/flat (many be the camera). how many times did you spray? or kind of looks like you sprayed too little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee View Post
I did mine today ..took me 10min.it looks
sexy as fk
Pics!?????????
Old 06-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #51
autothug

My Ride: MB sprinter, E92
Send a message via AIM to autothug
moonlight im next when can we do this DIY im taking off the lamin x
autothug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #52
E46Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by autothug View Post
moonlight im next when can we do this DIY im taking off the lamin x
Painting the bowls or the lens?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #53
autothug

My Ride: MB sprinter, E92
Send a message via AIM to autothug
The bowls
autothug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:23 AM   #54
TwoDuckDad

My Ride: 2001 330xi jet black
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar2006 View Post
I just did mine too!! Bought some cheap bowls on eBay actually.... but they were never used so

For after seeing J4K2onE 's blue M3 I had to try this myself. Plus, it's as cheap as $10 if all your buying is the rattle can.

I'll put up pics of the finished product once I get my new headlight covers

After photos? My car is jet black and I'm thinking hard about this mod to the high beams and fogs. Hmmmm...photos on a black car?
TwoDuckDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #55
omar2006

They are still in my garage...I just got the new headlight covers so maybe this weekend I'll put them in and take some pics for ya

I only sprayed one coat. Reading what others did, I didn't want it to run and I didn't want it to be too thick so that it wouldn't reflect light well. It looks pretty cool but not as "smooth" I guess as some other close up pictures....I guess that's what happens when you spray with a rattle can
Old 07-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #56
BusaNoob

My Ride: AW 06 330ci ZHP
Bump for pics update !
BusaNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #57
E46Moonlight

bump for pics! lol
Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #58
dew

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Moonlight View Post
bump for pics! lol
Do you have picture from a distance not to close to your car?
Old 07-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #59
chmiel21

My Ride: 2004 325i
Lookin' great! I just bought some blue stained glass paint. Not krylon but from another maker. Anyways i am on the fence about wether or not i want to go through with it.. Black facelift sedan with AE.. Tough call. I may sit on it for a while, until i get white highbeam bulbs anyways. If anyone does blue, please post up!

Brake upgrade next!
chmiel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #60
omar2006

sorry guys i'm super lazy....they are still in my garage. I'll be sure to put them in this summer