E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #21
mgremillion09

My Ride: 2002 LSB M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcus View Post
Let them try it if they want....they are putting up the money. Never really seen people stare at the roof of a car. With the CF wrap material getting so popular....let them do what they want to do. I have not seen it in person so I can't comment on it. Tons of people here have black cars with black rims....and that is played out and could be called rice also...... But, if they like it....more power to them. Lots of people have loud exhaust pipes on a BMW E46 that makes them happy....but I would not put one on my around 200HP car....but if it makes them happy....let them do it.
^^Amen
mgremillion09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #22
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Let them do what they want to do....and I am well aware of the difference from real CF and wraps.......

If people want to spend big bucks, they can get a CSL roof or VSTR roof....but for the install of a real CF roof and the depreciation of the E46, not the smartest idea. People do have money out there though and do get those.

I would not say that some of the guys who do a vinyl wrap are cheap. They work with what they can afford...and if it makes them happy over the wood trim....more power to them. Some of the stuff if put on properly looks pretty good. I have seen lots of Fanatics that have done good work with imitation CF wraps and materials.

EDIT: And not everyone here has $$$ to buy a CF hood, CSL trunk, and CF interior. Can you tell the difference...yes, but if tastefully done....it looks good. Actually, not everyone here likes CF. Some hate black rims...time attack stripes.....loud exhausts......CSL rims.......Dinan......dropped springs.......you see where I am going.

My car is paid off though and I love the hell out of it. I did it my way. Did not need to ask permission to see what hood, bumper, wheels, interior was supported here as some do.

Last edited by carcus; 04-20-2010 at 11:53 PM.
carcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:55 PM   #23
zhp pilot
Falling from 14k ft.

My Ride: is totaled :(
Before I installed my gloss black vinyl, I laid on a sheet of CF vinyl that a friend had just to see what it would look like.

zhp pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:11 AM   #24
Rocko123

My Ride: E92 335i
alot of people done this before, i think it looks good, if you ike it go for ir, i kinda look it too to be honest lol

Rocko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #25
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
OR, just buy a Honda.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #26
BBRetro

My Ride: bmw e46
lots of parts on my car are real carbon fiber.... looks great in the beginning....but turns yellowish after a little while....
dont know if its because of the heat here in thailand.....but all of my frnd's ride carbon fiber parts turned yellow....
i now wraped most of those parts with carbon fiber look vinyl from 3M....and it looks great to me....

Old 04-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #27
zhp pilot
Falling from 14k ft.

My Ride: is totaled :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRetro View Post
lots of parts on my car are real carbon fiber.... looks great in the beginning....but turns yellowish after a little while....
dont know if its because of the heat here in thailand.....but all of my frnd's ride carbon fiber parts turned yellow....
i now wraped most of those parts with carbon fiber look vinyl from 3M....and it looks great to me....
Your's and your friends' yellowing problem is a result of buying cheap CF. The yellowing is caused by UV damage and plagues inferior CF products, it has nothing to do with the heat. Cheap CF parts are made with a polyester resin, which is not UV resistant. If you want CF that doesn't yellow, buy a quality product made with epoxy resin. In addition, CF products made with polyester resin are heavier than their counterparts made with epoxy resin. Polyester resin isn't as strong as epoxy resin and more has to be used during the molding process.

zhp pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #28
BBRetro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp pilot View Post
Your's and your friends' yellowing problem is a result of buying cheap CF. The yellowing is caused by UV damage and plagues inferior CF products, it has nothing to do with the heat. Cheap CF parts are made with a polyester resin, which is not UV resistant. If you want CF that doesn't yellow, buy a quality product made with epoxy resin. In addition, CF products made with polyester resin are heavier than their counterparts made with epoxy resin. Polyester resin isn't as strong as epoxy resin and more has to be used during the molding process.
well..... lots of those hoods and roof that turned yellowish were also volsteiner hoods......what do you have to say about that?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #29
ptrcd003

My Ride: .
Quote:
well..... lots of those hoods and roof that turned yellowish were also volsteiner hoods......what do you have to say about that?
Well...it means vorsteiner used a polyester resin when making the hoods and roofs. Didn't you read what he wrote
ptrcd003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #30
juanmurillo

My Ride: Bavarian Project
Depends, wich one is lighter and gets you better power to weight ratio
juanmurillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #31
BBRetro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrcd003 View Post
Well...it means vorsteiner used a polyester resin when making the hoods and roofs. Didn't you read what he wrote
well....what i thought all along was that vorsteiner produces pretty decent carbon fiber product lines..... and here in thailand its one of the most expensive gtr hood one can get.......well..... maybe i got it all wrong.....

thank you for pointing it out to me........ so which hood do you recommend then ?!?!?

Last edited by BBRetro; 04-22-2010 at 03:35 PM.
BBRetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #32
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Quote:

Picture of that roof looks pretty dang good. Wonder how long it holds up with the weather though and if there is any problems removing it.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:56 AM   #33
BBRetro

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcus View Post
Picture of that roof looks pretty dang good. Wonder how long it holds up with the weather though and if there is any problems removing it.
oh it'll hold up just fine....my frnd had matte black roof for a year then he changed it into carbon fiber vinyl as well.... and the removing process wasnt that hard.... he parked the car in the sun for 2 hrs then peel it out bit by bit....and the paint work under it was still fine....
Old 04-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #34
usernamehere
Banned

My Ride: lackbof turbos
Anyone who has a sunroof, managed to get this done successfully?
usernamehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #35
BBRetro

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamehere View Post
Anyone who has a sunroof, managed to get this done successfully?
yes.... here's a pic of my frnd's matte white with carbon roof e46

Old 04-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #36
usernamehere
Banned

My Ride: lackbof turbos
Interesting because I have a VIS c/f hood that is starting to haze because of the clear coat/gel thats failing. Instead of spending the 400-500 to recoat or paint ( as most shops are quoting me ) would c/f wrapping the hood be a good alternative choice? This 3m c/f stuff, where can I find?
usernamehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #37
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamehere View Post
Interesting because I have a VIS c/f hood that is starting to haze because of the clear coat/gel thats failing. Instead of spending the 400-500 to recoat or paint ( as most shops are quoting me ) would c/f wrapping the hood be a good alternative choice? This 3m c/f stuff, where can I find?
If you google it, you'll find tons of them. And yes, repainting would be waste of money..go for wrap
Old 04-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #38
BBRetro

more pics

Old 04-23-2010, 02:38 PM   #39
wangx

My Ride: 325i
hey did you guys wrap the roof DIY? do you have to remove the roof panel to wrap it? or just do it directly on the car?

man you need to make a write-up here for us

Quote:
yes.... here's a pic of my frnd's matte white with carbon roof e46
wangx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #40
johnhk79

My Ride: BMW
get it from DonN.. he seems to have it at the best price. i have shopped around.
johnhk79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, carbon fiber, roof, vinyl, white