E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #41
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Shipping is NOT included... odd. Yes, we can mix 4 and 5 rib.

Should we start a list?

1. aggieE46

I guess we should make a thread dedicated to this.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #42
McSpeed

My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
I just checked out the factory damper de-install scheme in TIS [see Version 2 pics below] and, not having done it before, I wonder:

1. Do we need or want these special tools (or something like them) for pulling the stock damper? They're available from Baum Tool for a fairly unreasonable total of ~$250.

2. When installing the ATI damper do we want to do anything special to lock the crankshaft in place while torquing the center bolt to 300ft lb? Or does the clutch (or cylinder pressure?) do the trick?

SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 05-28-2010 at 05:51 PM.
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #43
McSpeed

bump

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
Old 06-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #44
McSpeed

1. Yo mcspeed you can get the stock 3-piece crankshaft pulley holding tool set off ebay from Koch tools for almost $100 less. I'm not sure if they're absolutely necessary for deinstalling the stock damper but it sounds like the special tools help keep the woodruff key on the crank snout intact. And the damper itself intact. If so, the people in the group buy might want it when you're done.

2. When installing the ATI damper the stock holding tool set is useless, as you know. I wonder if the TDC pin would help? I think it locks the crankshaft but I don't know where the lock point is or if it matters. Maybe someone else knows

Good luck broseph

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 06-13-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #45
F1004fun

My Ride: '02 330Ci
It finally arrived!!! And since I still don't know how to put pics in as you go, you get to figure out what picture goes were.

First off I must say that the guys at ATI are cool to deal with and the product is very high quality. The stock damper weighs in at 8lbs. 14.5oz. The ATI damper weighs in at 6lbs. 11oz. The interference fit is .0008"-.0011"
Pie330 - My crank snout measured out to 1.2590" on the dot.

McSpeed - I would really recommend getting the tools to hold the stock damper while removing the bolt, it's really tight. I ended up using a 3/4" breaker bar with a 4' handle.

The tools to remove and install the ATI Super Damper are a snap! The factory removal tool will work to remove the stock damper and with a little drilling, the ATI damper as well. Tool #11 8 210
I removed the A/C pulley from the ATI damper for the bolt pattern and laid it over the removal tool. After marking and drilling the holes, I fit it up and it works perfect.

Next up is the tool to hold the pulley while you torque down the bolt. I cut a ring out of steel plate and drilled that same pattern form the A/C pulley into it, welded on a length of flat bar and now you have a factory style holding tool. I don't think I would use the flywheel pin to torque it down, it is a lot of damn force.

After putting a new front main seal in, I set the damper hub on a hot plate for a while to bring it up to temp. Then the tricky part came about, you have a keyway that needs to line up and you can't see it with the pulley in place. To make things better you have about 1/4" on crank that needs to press fit before you get to the keyway. I recommend marking where the keyway path is on the top on the damper snout so have something to reference when you line it up.

Anyway, the installer tool that I mentioned earlier worked perfect, you could take a 1/2" off of it though. Adam you weren't kidding that thing is fricken tight, those last couple turns before you feel it set up are tough.

After that, use the holder tool to attach where the A/C pulley would have went. Torque the bolt down to 300ft/lbs.

After that I put it all back together and realized something I over looked, someone took the time to tell ATI the exact location on TDC in relation to the crankshaft keyway. It wasn't me but whoever it was thanks, it's a nice touch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	both dampers.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	364499   Click image for larger version

Name:	removal tool.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	364500   Click image for larger version

Name:	holder tool.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	364501   Click image for larger version

Name:	installer tool.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	364502  

Click image for larger version

Name:	torqueing it down.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	364503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Final install.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	364504  

Last edited by F1004fun; 06-18-2010 at 09:54 PM.
F1004fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #46
McSpeed

Awesome! Thanks for the writeup - it answers a lot of questions

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
Old 06-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #47
McSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1004fun View Post
Next up is the tool to hold the pulley while you torque down the bolt. I cut a ring out of steel plate and drilled that same pattern form the A/C pulley into it, welded on a length of flat bar and now you have a factory style holding tool. I don't think I would use the flywheel pin to torque it down, it is a lot of damn force.
Do you think it's possible/advisable to just drill some extra holes in the #11 8 210 tool instead of fabbing a replica for holding the ATI? I see how there might not be room because of where the bar of the tool is welded to the ring but it would be nice shortcut.

P.S. Thanks to your pics I just realized that I don't need a buddy to hold #11 8 210 - it just braces off the ground. Excellent.

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
Old 06-23-2010, 12:22 AM   #48
F1004fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpeed View Post
Do you think it's possible/advisable to just drill some extra holes in the #11 8 210 tool instead of fabbing a replica for holding the ATI? I see how there might not be room because of where the bar of the tool is welded to the ring but it would be nice shortcut.

P.S. Thanks to your pics I just realized that I don't need a buddy to hold #11 8 210 - it just braces off the ground. Excellent.
For the holder tool, the ATI bolt circle is the same the I.D. of that ring on the factory holder tool. Basically you can't get a complete hole, only half a hole to hold the bolts.
And the tool is actually long enough to rest on the frame rail but I didn't want to break down the cooling system in my garage.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #49
Jackcat559

My Ride: 2003 530
The weight differance alone between OE and ATI has me very intersted
Jackcat559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #50
JamesClay
Sponsor

My Ride: Any BMW with 4wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
I wish I could use the ATI damper. Right now I'm going through a stock damper every 2 races. It's all because I have to rev my motor beyond what it was designed for and can't justify a $25K Sunbelt motor that would do the same exact thing.
There is a guy selling a new Sunbelt and 10 hour twin for a fraction of that. Let me know if you want details.
www.bimmerworldracing.com

Bimmer World
JamesClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #51
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Wow, somehow I missed that you got it and installed it.

Driving impressions? Did you happen to dyno before/after?

Quote:
It finally arrived!!! And since I still don't know how to put pics in as you go, you get to figure out what picture goes were.

First off I must say that the guys at ATI are cool to deal with and the product is very high quality. The stock damper weighs in at 8lbs. 14.5oz. The ATI damper weighs in at 6lbs. 11oz. The interference fit is .0008"-.0011"
Pie330 - My crank snout measured out to 1.2590" on the dot.

McSpeed - I would really recommend getting the tools to hold the stock damper while removing the bolt, it's really tight. I ended up using a 3/4" breaker bar with a 4' handle.

The tools to remove and install the ATI Super Damper are a snap! The factory removal tool will work to remove the stock damper and with a little drilling, the ATI damper as well. Tool #11 8 210
I removed the A/C pulley from the ATI damper for the bolt pattern and laid it over the removal tool. After marking and drilling the holes, I fit it up and it works perfect.

After putting a new front main seal in, I set the damper hub on a hot plate for a while to bring it up to temp. Then the tricky part came about, you have a keyway that needs to line up and you can't see it with the pulley in place. To make things better you have about 1/4" on crank that needs to press fit before you get to the keyway. I recommend marking where the keyway path is on the top on the damper snout so have something to reference when you line it up.

Anyway, the installer tool that I mentioned earlier worked perfect, you could take a 1/2" off of it though. Adam you weren't kidding that thing is fricken tight, those last couple turns before you feel it set up are tough.

After that, use the holder tool to attach where the A/C pulley would have went. Torque the bolt down to 300ft/lbs.

After that I put it all back together and realized something I over looked, someone took the time to tell ATI the exact location on TDC in relation to the crankshaft keyway. It wasn't me but whoever it was thanks, it's a nice touch.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #52
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
There is a guy selling a new Sunbelt and 10 hour twin for a fraction of that. Let me know if you want details.
The Sunbelt motors blow up just the same. The Kinetic guys became the best in the business at changing out a motor at the track. They had it down pretty good using the lift gate and two ratchet straps. They even grenaded a motor on the pace lap at Miller back in 2008.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #53
JamesClay
Sponsor

My Ride: Any BMW with 4wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
The Sunbelt motors blow up just the same. The Kinetic guys became the best in the business at changing out a motor at the track. They had it down pretty good using the lift gate and two ratchet straps. They even grenaded a motor on the pace lap at Miller back in 2008.
All motors do. I was more referring to not needing to spend $25k on a Sunbelt motor - not that you didn't need to do normal care and feeding once purchased.
www.bimmerworldracing.com

Bimmer World
JamesClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #54
McSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzy989 View Post
i guess this is kind of on topic...

i have a stock crank damper for sale from a 2001 330... McSpeed brought it to my attention that there are actually 2 different part numbers for crank dampers. the one i have was discontinued in 2002 or so and there was a new one used for the rest of the e46's... any idea what the differences were between the two?

i never paid close enough attention to the one from my motor (2005). the only other supplement i have for the old damper is a stamp on it that says 275 Hz...
Turns out there's another difference - the rubber ring on my 2005 stock damper says "275Hz - 305Hz"

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
Old 07-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #55
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
subbed
Old 07-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #56
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
Since I have plenty of motors hanging around, last thing I need to do is buy more of them. Especially since I'm getting rid of the car.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:57 AM   #57
McSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Please post up your crank snout measurement, I would be interested to see what kind of deviation might be found. Even though I own 4 M54B30 cranks....LOL
Mine was 1.2592"

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
Old 07-30-2010, 10:23 PM   #58
F1004fun

Well it's been a while now that I have been driving with the ATI damper and I will say that things feel smoother, I guess the best way to describe it is like this. When your really getting on it and holding a gear coming up to a turn cause you don't wanna upshift and then downshift again for the turn, maybe your left foot braking a little and gonna upshift once you get out of the apex. That harshness you feel, not vibrations but harshness like the engine is just pissed off..... is gone. The engine just feels better, I can keep it up between 4k to 7k with out it feeling like it's thrashing the motor.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:02 AM   #59
McSpeed

Quote:
Well it's been a while now that I have been driving with the ATI damper and I will say that things feel smoother, I guess the best way to describe it is like this. When your really getting on it and holding a gear coming up to a turn cause you don't wanna upshift and then downshift again for the turn, maybe your left foot braking a little and gonna upshift once you get out of the apex. That harshness you feel, not vibrations but harshness like the engine is just pissed off..... is gone. The engine just feels better, I can keep it up between 4k to 7k with out it feeling like it's thrashing the motor.
+1
I used to use that thrashy feeling as my cue to upshift (usually around 6K). Now that it's gone I find myself wondering where the redline is and looking at the tach more. I'd even say it's silky.

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 07-31-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:14 AM   #60
Lil. Lucas

My Ride: E30 M3
What was the condition of the stock damper you removed off the car? These kind of reviews can sometimes get misrepresented by factory parts in need of replacement..
Lil. Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote