E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #81
McSpeed

My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackcat559 View Post
You fellas racing the M54; did you use the M54 Motorsport oil pump?
mrshelley is the only one running it I know of; it has served him well on several cars

SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #82
Fair

My Ride: Various BMWs
After the first oil pump nut failure on my M54 (described above) we had the nut welded on, replaced the rod bearings, new oil pump, etc. So then 3 autocross events later the oil pump driveshaft sheered in half. Lovely. My wife made an entire lap at Texas Motor Speedway (road course) with zero oil pressure, so you can imagine how fubar the engine is.

Took the car to STETT again and he pulled the bottom end apart for a look and maybe just "more bearings" again - it wasn't good. Rod bearings spun, oil pan full of copper, everything is fried. Please, learn from my stupid mistakes (two dead M54 engines) and never rev your M54 above 6000 RPMs with the stock balancer and unsecured oil pump nut! Listen to the experts on this forum - they were right.

I let the blue car sit for 6 months, ignoring it completely, even thought about putting an LS1 in it. Then we found another 2001 330Ci chassis with no drivetrain to use for an LS1 swap mule. It needs a little work but it should make for a clean, quick, affordable and reliable track car when we're done.

So then the blue 330 was sitting there and I had to think - do we "fix it to keep" or "sell it?". I thought about this at length, with lots of input from fellow racers, and we've decided to keep the blue 2001 E46 330Ci and run it in NASA TTD (its classed/prepped well for this class and regularly set track records there). My wife can use it to run TT in, instead of running our 2011 Mustang GT in TTB (which we're going to use in autocrossing only, to focus on one set of class rules instead of two).

We pulled all the decals off the blue car, put the radio and stock steering wheel back in (makes for a nicer street car), and are prepping it for a replacement motor, then bodywork and finally a repaint in the original blue. It can still be street legal and be quick enough for TTD, as the car needed a little more weight for the class. We'll probably run it on 255/35/18 Hoosier R6s, or 285s if we want a little more stick (it has 285s now). This time we're adding the VAC oil pump drive kit and a better balancer. The motor is supposed to arrive today.

You guys' advice here + our lousy experiences with this motor and its very obvious limitations (balancer, oil pump nut/drive, high RPM harmonics) have taught me some lessons, and the RPM limit will be dropped back down to 6000 rpm when its up and running again. So... this ATI balancer looks nice, what are the results after this Group Buy's round of installs?

Thanks,
Old 05-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #83
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
We're still waiting for them... They dampers are done, but we're waiting on the install tools to be machined. I'll come by with it when it's done. You can take my heavy girl around the block and see what you think.

What else can you do to her and keep her in her class?

Last edited by aggieE46; 05-23-2011 at 04:04 PM.
aggieE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #84
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Terry, if you keep the rev limit low (say around 6k or so) the Vac pump shaft might keep you in business but it's been known to fail for others (see pei330ci's thread here). For my own car (which I've got too much invested in not to splurge on a proper oil pump fix), I've spoken with Greg about getting the 4 bolt pump documented in the thread I just linked.

So, looks like you picked up AdamBath's old coupe from Stett for the LS1 conversion? Yeah, it will need just a little bit of work. What are your plans for the rear subframe area? Will this car be fully caged or will you at least be installing some form of rear subframe mount reinforcement after you repair the existing damage? With LS1 torque levels, you're going to have to do something. I've repaired mine twice now and I've only got a twin screwed M54. First repair involved welding a small crack that I caught early and then adding the Turner reinforcement kit. A little over a year later, I had nearly ripped out the entire left rear Turner plate. Had Stett repair and heavily reinforce the rear by welding in some thick sheet metal all the way across the rear of the car so as to tie the left and right rear mounting points together and distribute the subframe loads across the entire width of the car (unlike the localized reinforcement of the Turner kit). Maybe this will hold long enough for me to start having engine problems....
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #85
Fair

My Ride: Various BMWs
Thanks for the experiences/tips on the oil pump drive. We're going to keep the revs low for a good long while - this 211 whp lump doesn't make any power above 6000 anyway. We were just using the higher revs to avoid 2nd to 3rd gear shifts on some autocross courses, but we see where that got us. That's what fooled me - 7500 rpm redline has worked for 6+ years with the stock balancer on the S52 motor in our E36 M3, but its a lot more tolerant of revs than the M54 I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
So, looks like you picked up AdamBath's old coupe from Stett for the LS1 conversion? Yeah, it will need just a little bit of work. What are your plans for the rear subframe area? Will this car be fully caged or will you at least be installing some form of rear subframe mount reinforcement after you repair the existing damage?
Yea, that's the car. It needs some work, that's for sure. The rear subframe has ripped completely away from the trunk floor in one corner, but we knew that before I bought it, and its not something I'm terribly afraid of.

When I bought the car it was in pieces (almost completely disassembled) and extremely dirty (it had been sitting for quite a while outside) but we've cleaned it up and put the interior/dash back together, and even rounded up a few missing pieces. Its almost all there now. It is going to need a lot of repair work and reinforcement out back; the entire trunk floor replacement kit (BMW sells it for this reason) + some reinforcement plates + potentially a "small rear cage section" tying into the pick-up points, like these two E36 cages built by Dallas Performance:

I am trying to avoid a full perimeter cage on this car, if it is in fact going to see even light street duty. I've driven fully caged cars a handful of times on the street and have the lumps on my noggin to show for it. Not a safe proposition without a helmet. So we might just do an elaborate 4-point with subframe tie-ins. Still up in the air.

Right now this white car is mostly just being used as "a rolling mock-up car" to help us develop the LSx V8 + T56 swap kit. After I have the mounts + crossmember + headers designed we'll go back and fix the rear subframe and trunk issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
With LS1 torque levels, you're going to have to do something. I've repaired mine twice now and I've only got a twin screwed M54. First repair involved welding a small crack that I caught early and then adding the Turner reinforcement kit. A little over a year later, I had nearly ripped out the entire left rear Turner plate. Had Stett repair and heavily reinforce the rear by welding in some thick sheet metal all the way across the rear of the car so as to tie the left and right rear mounting points together and distribute the subframe loads across the entire width of the car (unlike the localized reinforcement of the Turner kit). Maybe this will hold long enough for me to start having engine problems....
Agreed. It needs some reinforcement. We've been very lucky on the blue car, and its something we keep an eye on carefully. We had the entire subframe out to add poly chassis mounts and it was virgin - hadn't cracked open yet.

Due to the input from many racers about the chances of rear diff mount/trunk floor failure on the E30 chassis, we preemptively reinforced our E30 LS1 chassis back there. Cut out most of the trunk floor/spare tire well and welded in a hefty 2" x 2" steel tube between the frame rails (with spreader plates), tied it into the dual-eared E36 diff mount, then triangulated them. I don't think it needs to be this drastic on the E46, but we'll do something "more than necessary" to keep this "glass-like" rear trunk structure tied together.

Sorry to crap-up this thread with so many off-topic details, guys. I've got my E46 build thread on 4 forums already: SCCAForums, BimmerForums, Corner-Carvers, and on Vorshlag. Feel free to pop into any of those and make more suggestions. I do appreciate all of the advice, even if I didn't listen to some of it when it was given.

Cheers,
Old 05-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #86
McSpeed

Cool.
Fwiw I am loving the ATI Damper. The revs are liquid right up to 6800.

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
Old 05-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #87
aggieE46
Keep it clean

Yeah, yeah... rub it in. Still waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpeed View Post
Cool.
Fwiw I am loving the ATI Damper. The revs are liquid right up to 6800.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:08 PM   #88
McSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
Yeah, yeah... rub it in. Still waiting.

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
Old 05-26-2011, 01:09 AM   #89
F1004fun

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Hey everybody, it's been a while since I have posted but I wanted to add a bit to this. I had been chasing a vibration that would only occur upon shifting near 6k, this vibration would only occur as the motor was unloaded and for split second. This was actually my main reason for investing in this ATI damper. So imagine my frustration when it was still there after installing the damper, now I will agree with McSpeed that the engine is sooooo much smoother at high RPMs.

I must add that I installed Schrick camshafts a while before I noticed this buzzing vibration I mentioned above. I had also done the Beisen Vanos rebuild with the camshaft upgrade. So in search of this vibration I had noticed that the newer BMW and MINI engines were coming with these alternator clutch pulleys to let the alternator unload during sudden decel. So I actually found a pulley that fit my alternator (there is a thread somewhere around), did that fix the vibration....NO!

Well, so I have this damn buzzing feeling when I shift at redline....still. As time goes on I begin to hear a slight Vanos gear rattle, I call the Beisen dude (who is very smart and a great guy to talk to.) and he tells me of added stress the lumpy Schrick cams have on the relative lightweight M54 Vanos system. So I decide to replace the helix gears and helix cups of the vanos, and upon tearing the motor apart I find the timing chain tensioner is smashed on the nose of it. This is where is gets good. I replaced the tensioner with a factory new tensioner piston when I replaced the camshafts, which at this point had only been about 2500 miles and it already looked like hell.

I know I need to take some pictures and do a write up on it, but I found that a S52 and S54 timing chain tensioner are the same part and that it fits ours M54 engines. When you look a M54 and a S54 tensioner side by side it's hard to see how the M54 one works in the first damn place. It has an oil feed hole smaller then the oil discharge hole the lubes the timing chain rail. How do you build up any pressure when your losing it faster then you can fill it, so it was just rattling back in forth as the cam lobes were just slapping the chain around. The S54 tensioner still has and oiling hole for the timing chain rail, but it is smaller then the piston fill hole. I checked the installed depth of an S54 against my engine and they were within .010" of each other. If you have Schrick cams I HIGHLY recommend installing the S54 timing chain tensoiner! After installing that tensioner I can no honestly say this thing is smooth all the way up to redline.

Some bits of knowledge are good to learn, but man did I learn that one the hard way!
F1004fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:32 AM   #90
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1004fun View Post
Hey everybody, it's been a while since I have posted but I wanted to add a bit to this. I had been chasing a vibration that would only occur upon shifting near 6k, this vibration would only occur as the motor was unloaded and for split second. This was actually my main reason for investing in this ATI damper. So imagine my frustration when it was still there after installing the damper, now I will agree with McSpeed that the engine is sooooo much smoother at high RPMs.

I must add that I installed Schrick camshafts a while before I noticed this buzzing vibration I mentioned above. I had also done the Beisen Vanos rebuild with the camshaft upgrade. So in search of this vibration I had noticed that the newer BMW and MINI engines were coming with these alternator clutch pulleys to let the alternator unload during sudden decel. So I actually found a pulley that fit my alternator (there is a thread somewhere around), did that fix the vibration....NO!

Well, so I have this damn buzzing feeling when I shift at redline....still. As time goes on I begin to hear a slight Vanos gear rattle, I call the Beisen dude (who is very smart and a great guy to talk to.) and he tells me of added stress the lumpy Schrick cams have on the relative lightweight M54 Vanos system. So I decide to replace the helix gears and helix cups of the vanos, and upon tearing the motor apart I find the timing chain tensioner is smashed on the nose of it. This is where is gets good. I replaced the tensioner with a factory new tensioner piston when I replaced the camshafts, which at this point had only been about 2500 miles and it already looked like hell.

I know I need to take some pictures and do a write up on it, but I found that a S52 and S54 timing chain tensioner are the same part and that it fits ours M54 engines. When you look a M54 and a S54 tensioner side by side it's hard to see how the M54 one works in the first damn place. It has an oil feed hole smaller then the oil discharge hole the lubes the timing chain rail. How do you build up any pressure when your losing it faster then you can fill it, so it was just rattling back in forth as the cam lobes were just slapping the chain around. The S54 tensioner still has and oiling hole for the timing chain rail, but it is smaller then the piston fill hole. I checked the installed depth of an S54 against my engine and they were within .010" of each other. If you have Schrick cams I HIGHLY recommend installing the S54 timing chain tensoiner! After installing that tensioner I can no honestly say this thing is smooth all the way up to redline.

Some bits of knowledge are good to learn, but man did I learn that one the hard way!
Great Post !

My motor is apart, I have Schrick cams, please post up part numbers and or a link.

Thanks, Rob

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #91
TxZHP04

Interesting info on the tensioner. Assuming we're talking about the lower tensioner?

So your noise was more of a buzzing type vibration? I get more of a slapping type noise under similar conditions (car's been doing this for almost 100k miles now), wonder if it might be the same cause. I've always suspected that it was something associated with the dual mass flywheel. I'll be swapping my exhaust cam soon, might have to give the S54 tensioner a try.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
Old 05-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #92
HighBoostin330

My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
Quote:

DIY with some pictures would be great appreciated!
HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #93
aggieE46
Keep it clean

He did a DIY for the alternator pulley. Just search for threads started by him. Pretty interesting.

Oh, and I'll definitely put this to use one of these days. Thanks for the good info.

Last edited by aggieE46; 05-26-2011 at 02:01 PM.
aggieE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #94
ZeroSum

My Ride: 05 325
Thanks for the info F1004fun very helpful again, - what profile Schricks do you have?

I installed my 248/256 about 5k miles ago and have not noticed any additional vibrations at 6k but will add the tensioner as a preventative measure.

The only issue I had was the Vanos rattle appearing after a short while but the anti rattle kit took care of that.
ZeroSum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:18 PM   #95
F1004fun

My Ride: '02 330Ci
The Schrick cams I have installed are the 264 degree 10.5mm lift intake and 248 degree 10mm lift exhaust. I don't plan on supercharging my engine but I would like to have VAC port mine, I like N/A engines.
The part number for the S52/S54 tensioner is #11317838675. I apologize for not doing write ups, it's just when I actually get time to work on my car I don't take any pictures
I snagged a pic off the web of a S54 tensioner and I took a couple pics of my M54 tensioner. It's hard to see in the pictures but the two are night and day in actual function. The S54 tensioner has a check ball in the feed port to help dampen fluctuations and it's hard to compress by hand, it looks very complicated and very German. All of these technical features means it must be better then a fricken aluminum cup and a wobbly spring that make up the M54 tensioner. Right?
The pic on the left is literally all that make up the M54 tensioner, the next over is a side shot with the oil feed port if you can find it. Next over is the nose the rides on the chain rail with it's discharge port, followed last by the S54 tensioner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M54 tensioner.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	405354   Click image for larger version

Name:	M54 tensioner1.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	405355   Click image for larger version

Name:	M54 tensioner2.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	405356   Click image for larger version

Name:	S50 tensioner.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	405357  

Last edited by F1004fun; 06-02-2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Kant spel
F1004fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:11 AM   #96
Dan330Ci~

My Ride: 330Ci Clubsport
Quote:
The Schrick cams I have installed are the 264 degree 10.5mm lift intake and 248 degree 10mm lift exhaust. I don't plan on supercharging my engine but I would like to have VAC port mine, I like N/A engines.
The part number for the S52/S54 tensioner is #11317838675. I apologize for not doing write ups, it's just when I actually get time to work on my car I don't take any pictures
I snagged a pic off the web of a S54 tensioner and I took a couple pics of my M54 tensioner. It's hard to see in the pictures but the two are night and day in actual function. The S54 tensioner has a check ball in the feed port to help dampen fluctuations and it's hard to compress by hand, it looks very complicated and very German. All of these technical features means it must be better then a fricken aluminum cup and a wobbly spring that make up the M54 tensioner. Right?
The pic on the left is literally all that make up the M54 tensioner, the next over is a side shot with the oil feed port if you can find it. Next over is the nose the rides on the chain rail with it's discharge port, followed last by the S54 tensioner.
Great info, thanks
Another thing to upgrade!
Old 06-05-2011, 06:51 PM   #97
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Nice Read...Man where have I been....
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:07 AM   #98
ice2003

My Ride: 02 330ci ZSP,ZPP,ZCW
So how does one get ahold of an ATI Damper? I checked their website, but with no luck.
ice2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:22 AM   #99
Jackcat559

My Ride: 2003 530
special order
Jackcat559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #100
TxZHP04

Everything still running smooth with the S54 tensioner?

EDIT: any chance of something like this happening? http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...90&postcount=6

Last edited by TxZHP04; 06-13-2011 at 01:40 PM.