E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
cStower

My Ride: 330ci
Project Blackout

I had some free time yesterday and decided to give my e46 a new look. I painted my v710s, blacked out my kidney grills, painted the lower mesh, and foglight housings flat black, and blacked out my chrome window trim with the kit from shadowline trim I found on this forum.

Wheels: You might be able to tell from the pictures that the front and rear wheels were 2 different shades of silver. This is due to having a shop paint the front wheels after some minor curb rash. The color difference was driving me nuts to the point where I took them off the car, so I decided to paint them gunmetal. It was a fairly simple process:

1. Clean and degrease the wheels with SimpleGreen

2. Sand with 320 grit block
3. Re-clean wheels
4. Primer

5. 3 coats of paint

6. 4 coats of clear

It was my first time painting wheels and I have to say that I am very pleased how they turned out. Sure as heck beats paying $800 for a shop to paint them!

I absolutely love the new look of my car

Looking for any feedback or comments. Thanks for looking.
cStower is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
GTB323

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Looks 10x better. Next I would get smoked corners, sides, and tails and painted reflectors
Old 04-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
kraimer

My Ride: -04-330Ci-
Send a message via AIM to kraimer
Wow! Great job on the paint job!! I've had some problems while trying to apply clear coat after paint, I would get a lot of "orange pee" effect... yours look perfect!!! What primer / paint / clear did you use?
Car does look awesome!!!
kraimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
cStower

Thanks, all those things are literally what is on my "things to do next" list.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
cStower

kraimer: thanks a lot!

I used the duplicolor line of everything: primer, wheel paint, and clear. I did 2 very light coats of clear, followed by a heavy "wet" coat of clear to avoid peel look.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
downwithbrown7

My Ride: BMW M3 Droptop
i wouldn't do tails if i were you i would keep them clear. Because your car is already black and black tails would be overkill.
Paint the housing of your headlights.
Change the corners, side markers and paint the reflectors (like GTB323 said earlier)
Old 04-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
Wow im liking those wheels

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.

Last edited by alwaysbored786; 04-21-2010 at 10:07 PM.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #8
Muz@3one3 Motorsport
Past Site Sponsor

I'm really liking the blackout theme you have got going on. The wheels and blackout trim look great! Keep it up .

We have OEM reflectors in your color for only $40 with free shipping, to help finish off the look you're going for . Here is more information on it:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=754124
Muz@3one3 Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
lilaznman35

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
love the wheels
lilaznman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #10
Studdly_Studright

My Ride: 135i
very nice I like the new look better too. Definitely smoked corners and LEDs next.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:42 PM   #11
GTB323

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by downwithbrown7 View Post
i wouldn't do tails if i were you i would keep them clear. Because your car is already black and black tails would be overkill.
Change the corners, side markers and paint the reflectors (like GTB323 said earlier)

...but if everything else is black or smoked then it would be the awkward part of the car that doesn't fit in with the rest of the theme. I think it would contrast way too much. The smoked tails arn't black they are just tinted.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:50 PM   #12
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by downwithbrown7 View Post
x2

your wheels came out great!

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:59 PM   #13
nowerelsetoroam

My Ride: E46,740i
Send a message via MSN to nowerelsetoroam
love the car and clear lights for sure

Swicthed from
a 323 to a 740
nowerelsetoroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #14
cStower

I am going to definitely do the smoked tails, I think it fits with the overall theme of the car and willl look much better. Everything on the car will be tinted/smoked at that point so I think it would look funny to leave the tails as they are now.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 04-22-2010, 11:12 AM   #15
MP325

My Ride: 2004 325xi
imo lightly smoke em, don't do it too dark
Old 04-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #16
habbyguy

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP325 View Post
imo lightly smoke em, don't do it too dark
C'mon, where's your sense of adventure? Besides, the "trunk pushed into the rear seat look" is all the rage these days, and the OP can get someone to help him get there by making his tail and brake lights invisible to drivers behind him.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #17
GBinSB

My Ride: 2001 325Ti
Anyone ever paint the chrome trim on a wagon / touring? I am thinking of doing it to my 2001 325 ti as the chrome / aluminum is looking pretty bad around the windows. I want to change it out to black, and then do the front grill too...
GBinSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #18
xtasyx

My Ride: 330Ci
car looks great! how do u pull off that grill in the middle of your bumper? As well as the fog light covers? Mine are silver like yours was and i want to paint them black...

Power:
UUC Flywheel + M5 Clutch, eBay Headers, Gruppe M Intake, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust 16533, MarkD Tune

Dyno'ed 210/209! :D

Looks:
30% Tint front + 20% Tint rear, Blacked out grills and reflectors, Shadowline Trim, Blacked out reflectors, 6K HIDs Low, 3K Fogs, DRL Delete

More to come...
xtasyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #19
cStower

Quote:
Originally Posted by habbyguy View Post
C'mon, where's your sense of adventure? Besides, the "trunk pushed into the rear seat look" is all the rage these days, and the OP can get someone to help him get there by making his tail and brake lights invisible to drivers behind him.
Thats why I said I wanted to "smoke" the tail lights, and not tint them black to match the paint. They will still be plenty visible to drivers behind me

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtasyx View Post
car looks great! how do u pull off that grill in the middle of your bumper? As well as the fog light covers? Mine are silver like yours was and i want to paint them black...
Flat head screwdriver to remove the kidney grills and a phillips to remove the foglights and just pop 'em out (carefully).
Old 04-24-2010, 08:09 AM   #20
packrat555

My Ride: 2001 325i
if you are interested in tinted non-led tails I finally found someone selling depo pre facelift. They are unfortunitly about the same price as led but for whatever reason I don't like the look of leds plus it seems many eventually have problems with them.

http://www.jlevistreetwerks.com/m16/...duct_info.html

as someone also suggested I'd paint the inside headlight housing black, it comes out very easy.

maybe get some black and white (but not carbon fiber) roundels off ebay to complete the "murdered out" look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	315525112_tp.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	357405   Click image for larger version

Name:	1906 smoked.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	357406  
packrat555 is offline   Reply With Quote