E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Great Plains & Rocky Mountains

Great Plains & Rocky Mountains
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
CO IA KS MO MT ND NE SD WY

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:18 PM   #321
PEZi720

My Ride: PPIHC Racecars
Gramps... you realize there's all sorts of ways to pass sound right? Don't ditch the M3 for autox just because of sound... me and Hsun have proven that flaccid pipes and stuffing work great.

JUUUUUUUUUUUUs' sayin'
Old 04-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #322
delirium45

My Ride: 2004 M3
it's not ditched... but it frees me to do a lot of things that even SM class won't allow.
i just need to sit down and decide what path i really want to take with this car... i think a few of us on this thread suffer the same multi-directional pull. i just happen to be fortunate enough to have a 2nd car as backup.

btw, would anyone be interested in my ValentineOne with remote display ?
i'll likely be removing it from the M3 in the next week or two.

2011 Rocky Mountain Region GTS4 champion & "Rookie of the Year"
2012 Rocky Mountain Region GTS3 champion
Thanks Sponsors: SCR Performance & Built-by-Bones
delirium45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #323
Roland H

My Ride: 1997 BMW M3 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium45 View Post
yea, Grant (Tyler actually) put turn downs on both of my exhaust options, however, the S54B32 makes one holy racket that i'm not confident will be under sound regs enough.
Understood. The S54 is definitely a loud motor.

Quote:
it's not ditched... but it frees me to do a lot of things that even SM class won't allow.
i just need to sit down and decide what path i really want to take with this car... i think a few of us on this thread suffer the same multi-directional pull. i just happen to be fortunate enough to have a 2nd car as backup.
Yep, I really have that pull right now. I want to do an S54 swap so bad right now, and it's within reach, but that leaves me without an autox car, as the S54 makes too much power for my chassis to be reasonable in autox for a novice like myself. I'm either looking at picking up a slow autox car, or finding someone who's willing to let me co-drive for the season if I provide the tires or something....

Want to go 50/50 on a 2002 for autox garret?
Old 04-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #324
bitfi3nd

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzy989 View Post
i'm always willing to help if i have the time to. the shops brandon listed are very good and can work on your car if you supply the parts.
I'm willing to learn/pay/trade/help in any way I can if any of you guys would be willing to teach me a thing or two. I'm probably putting too much money into this car for it's age, but it's been very good to me for coming up on 11 years now and I still love it.

I'm a watchmaker by profession, so I have no problems understanding complex machines, I just have an entirely wrong set of tools for things like suspensions. (And I'm not used to beating my hands up like this!)
bitfi3nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #325
PEZi720

My Ride: PPIHC Racecars
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitfi3nd View Post
(And I'm not used to beating my hands up like this!)
your first and most important purchase...... mechanix gloves!
Old 04-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #326
T330

My Ride: X5
Send a message via AIM to T330
Quote:
garrett's flaccid pipe isn't doing the trick right now....

yeah i just went there
oh snap
Old 04-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #327
delirium45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland H View Post
Want to go 50/50 on a 2002 for autox garret?
hehe, i hope you sell that damn thing, so it's not continually taunting me

Old 04-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #328
azzy989

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to azzy989 Send a message via MSN to azzy989
Quote:
I'm willing to learn/pay/trade/help in any way I can if any of you guys would be willing to teach me a thing or two. I'm probably putting too much money into this car for it's age, but it's been very good to me for coming up on 11 years now and I still love it.

I'm a watchmaker by profession, so I have no problems understanding complex machines, I just have an entirely wrong set of tools for things like suspensions. (And I'm not used to beating my hands up like this!)
lol i'm sure if you talk to anyone here, they'll tell you they've put too much money into their car... it's a disease

we can definitely help out... i have finals during the 2nd week of may and then i should be free for a little bit after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEZi720 View Post
your first and most important purchase...... mechanix gloves!
yes...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T330 View Post
oh snap

azzy989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #329
bitfi3nd

Quote:
lol i'm sure if you talk to anyone here, they'll tell you they've put too much money into their car... it's a disease

we can definitely help out... i have finals during the 2nd week of may and then i should be free for a little bit after that.
:
I'm grateful for all the help the guys on this board have been already. But just name your price.

Oh, and speaking of too much money in an old BMW, here's my other one. It started out as a stock 73 R75/5, now it's stripped to the bone and 1000cc. Pretty much a period go-fast treatment, with some nods to modernity. About 80hp, under 300 pounds, and it still has the 1973 vintage drums. Fast for an old bike, but still stops just as badly as ever. (Don't even ask how much I dumped into that thing. I do love it though.)

Forgive the dirty car and bike, pics were taken last October between storms.

Last edited by bitfi3nd; 04-26-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #330
T330

My Ride: X5
Send a message via AIM to T330
Nice
Old 04-26-2010, 11:34 PM   #331
azzy989

Quote:
I'm grateful for all the help the guys on this board have been already. But just name your price.

Oh, and speaking of too much money in an old BMW, here's my other one. It started out as a stock 73 R75/5, now it's stripped to the bone and 1000cc. Pretty much a period go-fast treatment, with some nods to modernity. About 80hp, under 300 pounds, and it still has the 1973 vintage drums. Fast for an old bike, but still stops just as badly as ever. (Don't even ask how much I dumped into that thing. I do love it though.)

Forgive the dirty car and bike, pics were taken last October between storms.

very nice bike!!

honestly man, no price necessary lol. i enjoy working on cars and meeting new people. if we set a day that you want to work on it, we'll see if i can get brandon of one of the others to drop by and help too.

so you have fcabs and what else to be done?

Old 04-27-2010, 12:09 AM   #332
Roland H

My Ride: 1997 BMW M3 Sedan
Quote:
hehe, i hope you sell that damn thing, so it's not continually taunting me
I'm definitely selling this one... but I already have my eyes on another one.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #333
delirium45

beautiful beamer !

Old 04-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #334
bitfi3nd

Quote:
very nice bike!!

honestly man, no price necessary lol. i enjoy working on cars and meeting new people. if we set a day that you want to work on it, we'll see if i can get brandon of one of the others to drop by and help too.

so you have fcabs and what else to be done?
Thanks! I do love that old thing. It took me a year to build, and it still needs a few things...

I bought Meyle HD lower control arms (waiting for them to arrive) and poly control arm bushings (the car does a crazy shimmy/wobble thing in a hard corner, and the wheels wobble when up on a jack) but the place I ordered from sent stock rubber oil filled so the right ones should be showing up any day now. (Hopefully) And Vogtland front/rear suspension kit. (Springs and struts) My suspension is shot, and that kit was the right price and got fair reviews from others who have had it installed. It's also supposed to lower the car 1.2 inches, which may make it more difficult (?), or so a guy at a random shop told me.

I'm probably going to want wheels and tires too, but have no idea where to start looking. I'm thinking 17 or 18 inch, probably 18. But I don't want to spend a million bucks on tires (or wheels), just update the appearance without compromising handling (improving would be best ) and just relegating the stock wheels/tires to winter status. Advice there would be appreciated too.

I live in a condo in the downtown area, I have a driveway, but my parents live in Centennial and I usually work on things there for space sake. (And all my tools are there since I have no garage.)

Any other things that usually fail or need replacement at 115k that you can think of would be appreciated. I have new plugs/wires, ordered a VANOS rebuild kit, did fluid changes, entire cooling system, belts, pulleys, brakes, etc.

If I'm missing anything, let me know. (I can do all the other stuff myself, I really only need help with the suspension stuff.) I've never done any suspension work, and I got a 1k quote from the one random shop I stopped in to install the springs.struts/bushings. I'm already at 4 and a half or 5k in parts and I'm trying to keep this affordable as possible. (The poly bushings I ordered are already in the mounts, don't know if that's a help or a hindrance.) I only have a Chiltons, and it sucks...

Going to mix a drink and hit the sack, but thank you all again for the amazing resource, the sage advice and the offers of help. I REALLY appreciate it.

Last edited by bitfi3nd; 04-27-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:37 AM   #335
02m3csl325

My Ride: is Stage 2 AWD!
o.O
Old 04-27-2010, 02:38 AM   #336
02m3csl325

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1712186986.html
Old 04-27-2010, 03:01 AM   #337
azzy989

lol why does it say turbo and bodykit

Old 04-27-2010, 03:02 AM   #338
02m3csl325

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1705298726.html
Old 04-27-2010, 03:06 AM   #339
02m3csl325

Quote:
lol why does it say turbo and bodykit
Because it's sweet and bad ass both day and night with its costom tail lights, eom m3 spoiler and new raideator, of course.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #340
delirium45

Quote:
If I'm missing anything, let me know. (I can do all the other stuff myself, I really only need help with the suspension stuff.) I've never done any suspension work, and I got a 1k quote from the one random shop I stopped in to install the springs.struts/bushings.
wow... you're doing a lot of great maintenance on this car, it will feel brand new when you're done.

if you have already replaced all of the cooling system components, then looks like you're pretty much set.

as for the suspension, most of the guys that are responding on here can support you with that. i have a 2car garage at my house in Longmont (kind of a drive for you) but if we can work out a time schedule that works for you and perhaps some of the other guys (there is another guy that needs some suspension work done) maybe we can bang it all out in one day for both cars.

if your FCABs are already in the housing i can do that for you in 20 minutes, however, i don't have any experience with replacing the entire FCA (maybe Azzy or Brandon can help here).

As for the shocks & springs... this is pretty straight forward and we can do that no problem.

what about RTAB (rear trailing arm bushings) ? those are a PITA but probably need replacing at your mileage.

as for wheels, 18's look nice, but are inevitably heavier and tires cost more than comparable 17's... there are a lot of really nice 17's out there... i would recommend those personally.

Tags
bmw exberts, colorado, denver, fifi, gaga ooh-la-la, kitty puuuuury, mile hi, more than you can afford, rolf, saint louis!, spee, steven was huuuurrr, steven's a girl eepsspee, toolberts, trebdesumanu, tuuuuuuuuuuuurbo awd?, vtec power