E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Great Plains & Rocky Mountains

Great Plains & Rocky Mountains
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
CO IA KS MO MT ND NE SD WY

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.38 average.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #3481
PEZi720

My Ride: PPIHC Racecars
Gramps... I sent you a PM. I just stole your number from JAzzberts... so I may be giving you a call tomorrow morning at some point.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #3482
azzy989

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to azzy989 Send a message via MSN to azzy989
Bwahahahahahah. I'm eating lunch and the guy at the next table just told someone on the phone that he should "just break his effing kneecaps". Meanwhile I'm sitting here trying not to crack up.

azzy989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #3483
Brandond11

My Ride: 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Brandond11 Send a message via Yahoo to Brandond11
fugedaboutit

Yeah please elaborate on the class G. How many people were getting their competition license?
Brandond11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #3484
delirium45

My Ride: 2004 M3
Anthony, i'm in Chicago this week for work, so my phone is most unavailable, however, i'll respond to your PM.

2011 Rocky Mountain Region GTS4 champion & "Rookie of the Year"
2012 Rocky Mountain Region GTS3 champion
Thanks Sponsors: SCR Performance & Built-by-Bones
delirium45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #3485
delirium45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandond11 View Post
Yeah please elaborate on the class G. How many people were getting their competition license?
There were seven of us in the comp school this past weekend.
The 'normal' format for a comp school with NASA is a three-day period, the first day is usually on a Friday evening, somewhere between 3 and 4 hours of classroom discussion. this covers the CCR (club competition rules, i think) as well as an in-depth look at overtaking scenarios that involve 'contact' and how to assess blame.

The second day, typcially on Saturday, is an on-track evaluation. The course instructors DO NOT ride with you, they observe both from off-track locations and from their cars (as well as other racers' that are out on course at the same time). You are paired with another student that has a similarly classed car. I was lucky to have another GTS3 guy in class, so we were paired. The first of four on-track sessions had a specific focus.

The first was mostly a comfort session, where we practiced all of the scenario types that we were going to be evaluated on later. The scenarios that we practiced were overtaking in all sorts of places, off-line driving, side-by-side driving and just general awareness of competitors, all while paying close attention to any flags being shown at corner stations.

The second session was a full session dedicated to side-by-side driving; this challenged you to stay mirror-to-mirror with your partner through the whole course, two laps on one side then switch sides, two laps... and so on, until the end of session. If you need to pass or be passed, do it in side-by-side pairs. This is much more challenging to execute than it sounds on paper.

The third session we practiced starts, we did two standing starts (which are not very common in NASA) which were simulated race starts, meaning that we launched and it was a full-on race to the point on track where we were to slow-up and stop for the next standing start practice. Then we did a flying start and it was a full race to the end of the session.

The fourth and final session was a practice race, where we started with a flying start and a full race for 30 minutes.

In each of these sessions we, the students, were mixed with racers. i can only say, that there is a lot to learn of 'race craft' from these guys. getting a good start and getting through traffic are almost twice as important to finishing position as being a good/consistent driver... or so it felt.

The third day is usually a normal race day, where the students would be entered in their race class and run with their competitors to see how they fit/match-up.

Our weekend was not like this though, we actually only had two days, essentially the final day has not happened, we were assessed based on the simulated race only just due to time constraints as there was also an instructor school going on that weekend. However, we are still going to be able to sign-up for and race in our chosen race classes at the next event.

My personal experience with the school was very good. like i said i had a great partner that was very evenly matched, since we were so even, we were pushing very hard throughout all of the exercises, going full power for at least 80% of each session and for the races we were battling hard, passing, passing back in same turn and then re-passing again on exit... was fantastic. we were pulled aside for it also, the instructor pointed to us in the download session after and was like "you two, you guys are fast... ... .. ... Good ! keep it up !" and then they told some others to pick up the pace, they were being too cautious for them to be accurately evaluated.
During the practice starts (3rd session) my partner got a great start, i languished behind a student that wasn't paying attention and blew the start, my fault for being gridded too close, i couldn't get around easily. As my competitor got 5 spots on me, i tried to follow... managed to catch him up in traffic after the next corner, but it was a short race as we had to stop before a full lap to start the next practice start. That one went better for me as i was gridded further up (the first was a full inverted start, so slow cars up front, fast in the back). It wasn't until the flying start that me and my partner got to really challenge each other for any length of time. We had at least 5 or 6 laps of racing, it ended with me getting through traffic better than he had in one situation and i finished about 1/3 track ahead of him, he got a talking to that he should not have been so far behind me... we joked about it afterwards.
The final session was a really bad one for me, i was rushing to get ready to get to pre-grid and i went to pull my suit on and popped the zipper pulls off the zipper, i struggled for a good 5 minutes when one of the instructors found me and asked WTF i was doing, i showed him my wardrobe malfunction and he said it didn't matter, to just get out there since it wasn't a real race, full saftey wasn't officially required. so i rushed even more to get the rest of my gear on and strap in and get to pre-grid where they waved me onto track as everyone else was already on the pace lap halfway round the track, so i went out punched it and was going for full flying lap to catch up, when i finally did catch up i was now in the complete back of the pack, my competitor somewhere in the middle and a whole gaggle of mixed class cars between me and him and the front. but i didn't care, my heart was pounding and i was ready to race. i saw the green flag drop and i cut to the outside and out braked about 4 cars into T1 but had to take the outside, off-line so it wasn't a good lead into T2, but at least now i was on the inside, and i took advantage here, carved around cutting off another 2 cars, then down to T3, i can do this better than most of the people in the group so i pass another one car here, then on the straight i clear past all of the slow cars and late brake a corvette and camaro into T4, i can see my competitor below in T6 as i round T5, due to some defensive driving on the part of a CMC driver, my competitor was being slowed down so i could catch up to him as we came up T7 and again down through the bobsled, i got a better run into T10 and was on the tail of both the CMC guy and my competitor. It wasn't until the front straight that we both got by the CMC guy and i ended up getting a better run out of T3 again for some added back straight speed to get past my competitor and late brake into T4 again , now i could see a GTS2 racer that was flying, i caught up to him in another 3/4 lap and out gunned him on a straight to pass him and put a full 1/3 track between me and him before the pace-car collected the leader (some 500 hp 240sx) and then me, soon enough the other guys started showing up and queuing for, the pace car was out because there were two cars broken down on track and the safety truck was out on course. At this time i was super glad for the slow laps as my fuel light had come on, i hadn't had time to refuel due to my issue with my suit... so this was helping save a few fumes. When the pace car pulled off, it was a drag down the front straight, i got a jump on the pole, but then i could hear his turbo spool and he rocketed ahead of me into T1 and again down the back straight... i had nothing for him, nor did i care, he was out of my class anyway. i just needed to stay ahead of my GTS3 competitor and the GTS2 racer (he's really good!). Ended up completing the race in 2nd position behind the really fast car, but i was thrilled with that.

I am not really looking forward to getting to PPIR in April for my first official race !

Old 03-23-2011, 03:39 AM   #3486
azzy989

The Fast and the Furious: Big Battle on High Plains.........

Some famous quotes.

"more than you can afford pal... GTS-1"
"motons eh? That's a good way to blow 10 grand"
"how come I never c u drft??"

All joking aside... That was freaking awesome Garrett. I was actually visualizing everything you were describing. In case I missed it, what was your partner driving?

Old 03-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #3487
delirium45

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzy989 View Post
in case i missed it, what was your partner driving?
1985 911

Old 03-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #3488
PEZi720

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzy989 View Post
"motons eh? That's a good way to blow 10 grand"
Old 03-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #3489
Brandond11

Oh man Garrett it sounds like a blast! Maybe we should all take a E46F field trip to cheer you on!
Old 03-27-2011, 01:55 AM   #3490
PEZi720

http://forums.nicoclub.com/project-f...k-t528346.html
Old 03-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #3491
delirium45

nice job documenting it all, just need weights of everything coming off and everything going on

Old 03-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #3492
PEZi720

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanywho... Who will be there on 4/3 at FRA to see the truck get sideways on 275's? My guess is no one... but....... HAI

Last edited by PEZi720; 03-27-2011 at 10:14 PM.
PEZi720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:04 AM   #3493
azzy989

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium45 View Post
nice job documenting it all, just need weights of everything coming off and everything going on
Yus. This or get the truck on scales eep

Old 03-28-2011, 12:38 AM   #3494
PEZi720

i want to get it on scales... need to figure out a place in the springs that has them
Old 03-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #3495
Brandond11

I won't make it this weekend, I wish it wasn't at FRA lol. soooooo far!
Old 03-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #3496
PEZi720

So much better than DSGP tho... meh, oh well.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #3497
Brandond11

I'm going to try and make it down to PPIR for the 4/10 event.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #3498
PEZi720

Awesome! I can't wait to get the truck back out down there...
Old 03-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #3499
azzy989

1)

2)

MY HAND IS A DOLPHIN

Old 03-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #3500
325adam

My Ride: 02 330i
Does anybody have 10-12mm spacers that they have laying around and need to get rid of? My rear needs spacers like a sumb*tch.
325adam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw exberts, colorado, denver, fifi, gaga ooh-la-la, kitty puuuuury, mile hi, more than you can afford, rolf, saint louis!, spee, steven was huuuurrr, steven's a girl eepsspee, toolberts, trebdesumanu, tuuuuuuuuuuuurbo awd?, vtec power