E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Great Plains & Rocky Mountains

Great Plains & Rocky Mountains
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
CO IA KS MO MT ND NE SD WY

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.38 average.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #4281
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46BAV90 View Post
Count me in

I guess its going to be a wrenching meet this time instead of wings meet. lol.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:09 AM   #4282
MajorDisarray

My Ride: 05 325ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Vinci View Post
(1) Double Vanos Seal Repair Kit. ($45 in quantities of 4 + Shipping)
(2) Double Vanos Rattle Repair Kit.($45 in quantities of 4 + Shipping)
(3) All of the other seals, gaskets, washers, grommets etc. (see list in post# 4270 above, about $75 all OEM BMW)
(4) Solenoid Pistons. This is optional. The new pistons have stronger springs so they are less likely to stick. (Two of them add $44)
Everything, $209 + shipping. Only the Beisan parts need to be four each)

Here it the ORDER list
daVinci (1,2,3,4) (from above)
tri (1)
E46BAV90 (?)

I will keep updating the above list.

Now I have an 05 so I am wondering if I would need the solenoid piston? Is there a way to check easily? the mfg date is 04/11.

I will take the 1, 2, 3 option and possibly 4 just to be safe.

I am curious if replacing spark plugs would be a quick and easy add on if it is time to do anyways. I may end up doing that too since the coils will be removed during the install.

BTW....here is the car...if anyone cares.

the 325i.
MajorDisarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:49 AM   #4283
02m3csl325

My Ride: is Stage 2 AWD!
Of course we care, good looking ride :thmbsup:

Now, has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Not the best pictures but they're of the inside lip of the tire...

Old 04-13-2012, 02:55 AM   #4284
MajorDisarray

Was it driven low on air? Looks like it was flexed a whole lot while being driven. Is the outside worn on the sidewall? My wife drove with a flat once for a while and did something like that.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #4285
02m3csl325

Didn't really examine the outside too closely but it didn't look even close to the inside. The dealership has had my car for the past week and a half and they told me my car got a flat tire while driving between dealerships for service. This was a Bidgestone Blizzak studless snow and ice with well over 90% tread left and now there's almost no tread left on the outside and the inside looks like that.

I hadn't really thought about driving on a flat as the one flat I've had I pulled over immediately but looking at it now that makes sense. Makes me wonder what the hell was going on to pop this tire and how far the idiot drove on it instead of pulling over...yet another reason why I hate leaving my car with anyone else.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #4286
Brandond11

My Ride: 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Brandond11 Send a message via Yahoo to Brandond11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDisarray View Post
Now I have an 05 so I am wondering if I would need the solenoid piston? Is there a way to check easily? the mfg date is 04/11.

I will take the 1, 2, 3 option and possibly 4 just to be safe.

I am curious if replacing spark plugs would be a quick and easy add on if it is time to do anyways. I may end up doing that too since the coils will be removed during the install.

BTW....here is the car...if anyone cares.

the 325i.
Nice car, i like the red. I wonder if you could plug your vin into realoem and check that way, it may only show the updated part for replacement though. Without opening the vanos I don't see how you could check it.

Sorry I can't see the pictures Ryan.
Brandond11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #4287
da Vinci

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
E46BAV90, do you just want the seal kit, or do you also want the rattle repair? Are you going to pick up all the other stuff on your own? That may be easiest, but I am happy to order a bunch of it all at once.

tri, Same question as above.

MajorDisarray, It sound like the only thing the stiffer spring does is reduce the chances of the piston sticking and throwing a code. It also sounds like it was mainly the exhaust side that would stick. I am thinking I may just replace the exhaust side.

I will keep updating Post# 4278 on the previous page. You can also click on it here.

Everyone. I hope you do not think I am steamrolling this. I just like to make stuff happen and sounds like everyone has been talking about doing this so...

Click here for my Build Thread
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

da Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #4288
trj

Quote:
E46BAV90, do you just want the seal kit, or do you also want the rattle repair? Are you going to pick up all the other stuff on your own? That may be easiest, but I am happy to order a bunch of it all at once.

tri, Same question as above.

MajorDisarray, It sound like the only thing the stiffer spring does is reduce the chances of the piston sticking and throwing a code. It also sounds like it was mainly the exhaust side that would stick. I am thinking I may just replace the exhaust side.

I will keep updating Post# 4278 on the previous page. You can also click on it here.

Everyone. I hope you do not think I am steamrolling this. I just like to make stuff happen and sounds like everyone has been talking about doing this so...
This is great.
Thanks for doing this.

Yup count me in for the seals.
I do not have VANOS rattle, so I will not be doing the rattle kit nor the solenoid. Rattle prone cars are 323, 320, 330 and zhp. I guess I got saved for having a 325 finally.

I will order the VCG and 15 grommets from BMA parts. By other stuff you mean (VANOS gasket and the 2 o-rings)? I guess I will pick up from the dealership, if I can't order online.

I got confused by part numbers in Brandon's list some sites have different names for different parts and I hope they are not model/year specific.

I guess if its just the seals, we need VANOS seal kit, VANOS gasket and 2 o-rings(according to rajaje).
Addition to that, VCG and 15 grommets(since I am doing VCG too).
Just did the spark plugs about 2 months ago with Alton.
Anyone planning on the changing the plugs, its the right time I'd say.

Any other parts needed?
Probably I will do the pre-cat O2 sensors as well. I have been getting shadow codes on them, but not that essential for now.

Oh yah, the clutch fan on my car is a big pain to remove. Not sure if it will budge(the last 2 attempts, I broke other parts but the fan didn't come out), I had to take it to shop and they somehow did it. I will need help and tools on that

Thanks again
Old 04-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #4289
325adam

My Ride: 02 330i
trj - Did you try the ol' hammer and 32mm wrench trick? Sometimes you have to bang on it for it to budge......at least that's what I tell my girlfriend. Hi-oh.

davinci - I will go in on #1 and #2 and just pick up the rest of the stuff from the dealer in a bit.
325adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #4290
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325adam View Post
trj - Did you try the ol' hammer and 32mm wrench trick? Sometimes you have to bang on it for it to budge......at least that's what I tell my girlfriend. Hi-oh.

davinci - I will go in on #1 and #2 and just pick up the rest of the stuff from the dealer in a bit.
I did that for a stuck open thermostat.

Yup with a hammer and 32mm, bang bang bang.... reverse threaded nut, half bottle of pb blaster.

First time: broke the water pump pulley screw hole. Fortunately, Alton and I managed to get the pulley back on with home depo screws. Thanks Alton.

Second time: broke the upper radiator hose. So had to take it to the shop.

I have no idea how the shop was able to remove it. They replaced the thermostat but put the old broken pulley back and didn't flush the coolant, although I told them that there is pulley and coolant in the trunk. I still had the new pulley, coolant and distilled water with me in the trunk

Well, I was in a hurry and could wait for them to change the pulley and coolant on that day, so I still have those things to do.

Next I have a stripped DISA bolt, broken fuel filter clamp nut and the stubborn fan clutch. All of them, the result of me trying to DIY. I guess I am a bit too impatient with the bolts and nuts. Now I am scared to touch any nut/screw/bolt in the car. So I need to do any mechanical DIY with someone who will stop me from whacking on the hammer.

Hence, I have all brand new fuel filter, lower intake boot, lower CCV hose, pulley, coolant, distilled water in my storage closet.

Alton did the brakes for me, thanks again Alton. If I had tried that, I would surely have stripped/broke all the bolts there too.

Last edited by trj; 04-13-2012 at 01:39 PM.
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #4291
SLVRXI

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Hey guys I'm back how's every one been?
SLVRXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:54 AM   #4292
02m3csl325

Got the tire issue resolved for now, thanks for the response.

Also, found your scan tools Rich so I'll be getting that box shipped out to you here this week, PM me the address again.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #4293
E46BAV90

My Ride: 330ci & 325xi
Quote:
Discount from Beisan. Rajaie said if we buy 3, get 1 free or buy 10 get 4 free. This is for individual parts so we would need to get four of the seal kits and rattle repair kits and the price would be $45 each + shipping. If we have four confirmed, I can order them as well as all the OE stuff on the list. Let me know if you are interested and what you want.
(1) Double Vanos Seal Repair Kit. ($45 in quantities of 4 + Shipping)
(2) Double Vanos Rattle Repair Kit.($45 in quantities of 4 + Shipping)
(3) All of the other seals, gaskets, washers, grommets etc. (see list in post# 4270 above, about $75 all OEM BMW)
(4) Solenoid Pistons. This is optional. The new pistons have stronger springs so they are less likely to stick. (Two of them add $44)
Everything, $209 + shipping. Only the Beisan parts need to be four each)

Here it the ORDER list
daVinci (1,2,3,4) (from above)
MajorDisarray (1,2,3,?)
tri (1)
E46BAV90 (1,?)
325adam (1,2)

Total Seal kits (5)
Total Rattle Repair kits (3)

I will keep updating the above list.
Thanks for the info. Definitely 1, possibly more. I'll confirm the numbers tomorrow. I have a friend at Schomp who's going to take a look Monday, He may recommend 1-4 lol

Clutch Slave Cylinder Replacement DIY
E46BAV90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #4294
da Vinci

I was thinking about trying to get this done Sunday April 22nd. I am not sure if we can get everything in that quickly. The sooner we order, the better.

E46BAV90, If you change the seals, you are going to need most of the parts in #3. You may be able to pick them up from your friend. Bring the part numbers with you.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #4295
E46BAV90

My Ride: 330ci & 325xi
Quote:
I was thinking about trying to get this done Sunday April 22nd. I am not sure if we can get everything in that quickly. The sooner we order, the better.

E46BAV90, If you change the seals, you are going to need most of the parts in #3. You may be able to pick them up from your friend. Bring the part numbers with you.
I will, thanks for the heads up. I'll know the final word tomorrow

Clutch Slave Cylinder Replacement DIY
E46BAV90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #4296
MajorDisarray

Quote:

That would be great. I have to work the next weekend....

BTW, I may as well do all four items. As long as it's open I should take care of it.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #4297
Brandond11

My Ride: 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Brandond11 Send a message via Yahoo to Brandond11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325adam View Post
Brandond11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #4298
da Vinci

As soon as I hear from E46BAV90 tomorrow, I am going to place the orders. I am not sure how the seal kits and rattle repair kits will be priced. The offer was buy three, get the forth for free. We have five of the seal kits and three of the rattle repair kits. Hopefully we can get the discount on everything, but if we don't we will split the cost appropriately.

Do I have a commitment from all of you. I will order the stuff and trust you will not stick me with it, once I hear from each of you.

da Vinci (1,2,3,4)
MajorDisarray for (1,2,3)
tri (1)
325adam (1,2)

Please let me know.
Todd (daytime work number) 303-936-1241
I am usually not too far from my computer, so I will get the email.

Last edited by da Vinci; 04-16-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #4299
da Vinci

zimdba, and Brandond11 are you guys available Sunday April 22nd, in case we can get the parts in?

There is a fantastic pizza joint, Rebellion Pizza, that delivers to the shop. I am sure we can feed you for your help.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #4300
vapor325i

My Ride: 2003 325i sedan
jeebus my cousins come into town, and i dont get on a few days and you guys burn through like 3 pages lol

I actually got a new fan clutch tool from turner that works A MILLION times better than the one from ecs tuning...
and your welcome tj im glad to have helped, im down, to help with the VANOS seals as well, i did them on my car a few months ago and i have a whole binder on the d.i.y. that was from the Besian seals website.....

it took my roughly 8 hours to do mine with lots of doing nothing, dickin around, and food breaks lol

should be faster for you guys if we have a group of us workin together on it!!!

But otherwise im available on the 22nd and the shop is only like a 20 min drive max for me!!

Tags
bmw exberts, colorado, denver, fifi, gaga ooh-la-la, kitty puuuuury, mile hi, more than you can afford, rolf, saint louis!, spee, steven was huuuurrr, steven's a girl eepsspee, toolberts, trebdesumanu, tuuuuuuuuuuuurbo awd?, vtec power