E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
DKman

My Ride: 325xi
This summer: Train for a marathon or Bulk

This will either my my second to last or last summer with a lot of free time and I generally don't drink near as much in the summer as other times of year. I'd like to run a marathon for both personal and resume purposes, but I'd also like to put on 10 pounds of muscle at some point. I think bulking would be easier. I've been lifting for a few years now, but I've never really been a runner and have occasionally had what I think is mild patellar tendinitis. Any thoughts?
DKman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
DKman

haha I'm an idiot....mods move please.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Moved
Old 04-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #4
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
I'd run the marathon first. Having done both, I can tell you that it will be a lot easier to run the marathon prior to putting on extra weight. I ran the Detroit Marathon in 2008 and then bulked right after for 10 weeks. The weight went on easily and I was pretty lean to start with after running a ton all year. I ran a bunch of half-marathons last year and they were significantly harder with the extra weight. I bulked again this winter and put on even more weight, so we'll see how much hard running is this year, lol. 10 mile charity race a week from today...... should be interesting.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
DKman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
I'd run the marathon first. Having done both, I can tell you that it will be a lot easier to run the marathon prior to putting on extra weight. I ran the Detroit Marathon in 2008 and then bulked right after for 10 weeks. The weight went on easily and I was pretty lean to start with after running a ton all year. I ran a bunch of half-marathons last year and they were significantly harder with the extra weight. I bulked again this winter and put on even more weight, so we'll see how much hard running is this year, lol. 10 mile charity race a week from today...... should be interesting.
That's a good point. If I trained for a marathon I'd probably drop to 155 lbs or so (I'm 6 ft) which make it pointless or dangerous to bulk to 185 or so first. I'm running a 5k today so I guess I'll see how my knee holds up.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Oh damn, I ran Detroit in 08 too.

Bulking is easier and training for a marathon will slim you down so you can replace the fat you lose during endurance training with muscle when you start bulking. There's no reason that you can't maintain a weight as you train for a marathon. Just make sure you are eating right so that fat is replaced by muscle instead of fat. You should keep the same weight while looking and feeling thinner. you know muscle density > fat
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
You're going to put running in a marathon on your resume?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #8
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
You're going to put running in a marathon on your resume?
I review a sh!t ton of resumes and I see it more that you'd believe. It does show a sense of dedication, but I'm a bit on the fence about it.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
dwass325

Quote:
I review a sh!t ton of resumes and I see it more that you'd believe. It does show a sense of dedication, but I'm a bit on the fence about it.
Just my two cents - I find it obnoxios to put such a thing on one's resume. Then again, I also think it's obnoxios to put a 26.2 sticker on a car.

Quote:
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

Old 04-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
Glight

Quote:
Just my two cents - I find it obnoxios to put such a thing on one's resume. Then again, I also think it's obnoxios to put a 26.2 sticker on a car.
I agree with you for the most part. The only time I've liked it was when I was interviewing a complete jerkoff and it gave me something to talk about to kill the rest of the 30 minutes.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:34 PM   #11
DKman

I hadn't really put too much thought into the resume thing, though I have seen it in some top B school resume books. Really it would be like one line at the bottom, like:

Hobbies/Other information:
blah blah blah
blah blah blah
Sports Enthusiast: Golf, Running (10K, Marathon), softball.

Even if I didn't throw it on there, it would be an experience to speak too.

Anyhoo, ran a 5k today at around 29:30, I'm pretty happy considering I haven't ran a mile in months, or 3 in years. (Only stationary bike and the occasional crossfit ie fran, murph) I felt ok until my shoulder started bothering me. I'm going to try and up it to 4 or 5 miles at some point this week as a test, and do some research on training schedules. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. (I'd like to keep strength training though.)
Old 04-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #12
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
I find spelling errors on resumes obnoxious. Run a Boston qualifying marathon time and then come back and post how you feel. Marathon running requires dedication, hard work, discipline, and time management skills among others. Marathon running can definitely be used as an indicator of a person's work ethic.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #13
dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
I find spelling errors on resumes obnoxious. Run a Boston qualifying marathon time and then come back and post how you feel. Marathon running requires dedication, hard work, discipline, and time management skills among others. Marathon running can definitely be used as an indicator of a person's work ethic.
In case you hadn't noticed, this isn't a resume

I'm fully aware of what goes into running a marathon, and I've had my fair share of physical competition. And I'd never even think of putting any of it on my resume unless I was applying for a job where being an athlete was relevant.

Quote:

Old 04-26-2010, 07:02 AM   #14
HighlanderNSW

My Ride: E46 M3,Merc 300E
Do the run first and the weight gain 2nd. The knee and then the shoulder pain sound like you should see your chiropractor and have structural balance checked. If you want to do all the training for a marathon, you will want to have a good level of balance in your system, or you will be bothered by recurring injuries.
HighlanderNSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #15
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
In case you hadn't noticed, this isn't a resume

I'm fully aware of what goes into running a marathon, and I've had my fair share of physical competition. And I'd never even think of putting any of it on my resume unless I was applying for a job where being an athlete was relevant.
This.

Without offending OP... I believe personal interests, hobbies and other misc activities not related to your profession should be left out of a resume unless your 16 and applying for your first summer job.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #16
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
I used to leave off hobbies on my resume till recently....I've had several people review my resume and asked me to include it.....it gives potential employers some more insight into you as a person. Does it help with the initial pre-screen where someone takes a quick glance at your resume for 15 secs? probably not

But if/when you do land an interview, some managers make note of things like that......and if you happen to land a manager who shares your hobbies, then you're that much better off (assuming your other job qualifications are on point)

I wouldn't run a marathon JUST for that though

OP, run then bulk

EDIT: now that I think about it, when I got the phone call for the position that eventually relocated me to Austin, one of the reasons she thought it'd be a great match for me was that "Austin is great cycling and outdoors town" (I included cycling on my resume)

Last edited by Ghostie; 04-26-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #17
DKman

Like I said I've seen it on dozens of top flight resumes. I have a pdf file with 355 resumes from a top 7 business school, almost all have an interests/hobbies bullet point or section, and 21 specifically have the word marathon in them. Definitely not the 16 yo trying to get a first job subset. But I'm definitely not going to prepare for and run a marathon just for that reason. Thanks for the responses...