E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

View Poll Results: Spend 5000 MAX and upgrade to a 540i msport, or keep my paid for 330xi?
01 330xi/61k/5spd 28 51.85%
02 540i msport/58k/auto 26 48.15%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
Dreamliner330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,854
My Ride: 330xi
540i m-sport auto or keep my 330xi 5spd

My car is completely paid for and up to date on service. Its a 01 330xi/5spd/61k.

I am thinking of this 02 540 m-sport/auto/58K.

I am thinking of a switch because my 1-2 shift is really jerky and it annoys me almost every time I drive. 2 independent mechanics looked at it, said nothing was wrong. I test drove another 330xi and it was the same way. The mechanic just said BMW isn't known for its awd platform and thats the way it is.


My car is up to date on all preventative maintenance and the new car looks clean, one owner and some records...the over all total upgrade cost would be less than $5,000, what would you do?

My 330xi:






The 02 540




Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
tuscan1205
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SV, Arizona
Posts: 948
My Ride: 325CI
between the two, get the 540.
__________________


'02 Orient Blue 325Ci
tuscan1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,779
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
auto = no go.
expensive motor to maintain, and expensive tranny to replace.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
SoBo330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Baltimore, MD
Posts: 46
My Ride: 3 pedal 3.0 facelift
Could it be the CDV giving you jerky shifts. I know a lot of fanatics have removed this little bugger and the jerky shifting disappears. It is on my immediate to do list.

CDV delete might be all you need, and you do not have to get rid of your e46
__________________
'05 330ci sport Graphite Metallic
'97 318ti Hellrot - RIP


constantly lurking
SoBo330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
Look closely into the 540. The m62b44 engines with Nikasil cylinder bore linings are particularly vulnerable to fuel (gasoline or petrol) with a high sulfur content.

The sulfur in the fuel breaks up the Nikasil lining in the cylinders, thus causing a loss of compression. Once the lining is damaged, excessive bore wear of the soft, underlying alloy occurs very quickly. Some Nikasil engines have failed in as little as 30,000 miles. And the effect is cumulative, so if the engine has ever been run on high sulfur fuel, the damage may already have been done and premature bore wear may result.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
Messe46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York/Burlington
Posts: 674
My Ride: 325xi ZSP - ONRLS
Send a message via AIM to Messe46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBo330ci View Post
Could it be the CDV giving you jerky shifts. I know a lot of fanatics have removed this little bugger and the jerky shifting disappears. It is on my immediate to do list.

CDV delete might be all you need, and you do not have to get rid of your e46
you beat me to it!
but the cdv (clutch delay valve) is most probably the reason for jerky shifts. you don't even have to buy a "modified" valve in order to take that one out.

once the car is in the air, here's what you (or your mech) do:
1. remove front 2 (possibly 3) under-trays to access the valve.
2. remove valve.
3. take clutch line off of the "bracket" that holds it in place (there by extending the line enough to make up the distance the valve took up).
4. connect the 2 lines back together and tighten with a hose clamp (one of the ends should go over the other perfectly).
5. bleed the system.
6. shift smoothly!

it should take no more than 20min between lifting the car to driving it away. you could even do the "golf-tee" mod to your exhaust while you're under there (a little easier to reach/maneuver).

any bmw (except any ///m) will have a cdv. i hope that helps!
__________________
-Mike

Im sorry, but having an Aston Martin DB9 on the drive and not driving it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch. If youve got even half a scrotum its not going to happen.
-Jeremy Clarkson
Messe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
SoBo330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Baltimore, MD
Posts: 46
My Ride: 3 pedal 3.0 facelift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe46 View Post
you beat me to it!
but the cdv (clutch delay valve) is most probably the reason for jerky shifts. you don't even have to buy a "modified" valve in order to take that one out.

once the car is in the air, here's what you (or your mech) do:
1. remove front 2 (possibly 3) under-trays to access the valve.
2. remove valve.
3. take clutch line off of the "bracket" that holds it in place (there by extending the line enough to make up the distance the valve took up).
4. connect the 2 lines back together and tighten with a hose clamp (one of the ends should go over the other perfectly).
5. bleed the system.
6. shift smoothly!

it should take no more than 20min between lifting the car to driving it away. you could even do the "golf-tee" mod to your exhaust while you're under there (a little easier to reach/maneuver).

any bmw (except any ///m) will have a cdv. i hope that helps!
I was under the impression that e46 M3's have a CDV. Not true? Sorry to thread jack...slightly
__________________
'05 330ci sport Graphite Metallic
'97 318ti Hellrot - RIP


constantly lurking
SoBo330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
JJR4884
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 18,221
My Ride: BMW
540i6sp or bust

and it must have the mtech kit on it as well
__________________
JJR4884 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #9
BimmerFerret
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cardinal Country, KY
Posts: 1,882
My Ride: 08 G37S, 07 Sky RL
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmerFerret
I'm voting no because the E39 doesn't offer any additional rear seat room that your E46 sedan doesn't already offer. I believe they are nearly identical. If you had a coupe and just had a baby or two, I'd say yes. I was originally looking for an E39 sedan or E46 sedan when I started BMW searching so I did some reading

Also, I'm with the guy above. It MUST be a 6-speed for a 540i.
__________________
2008 Infiniti G37S - Big Brakes, Limited Slip, etc.
2007 Sky Redline
1998 Honda Civic EX Sedan


Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxlo View Post
Class of '03, yet you're still an idiot. Whats your point? Do you really think that you're somehow a god because you joined a site before someone else? ****ing nerd.
BimmerFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #10
Messe46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York/Burlington
Posts: 674
My Ride: 325xi ZSP - ONRLS
Send a message via AIM to Messe46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Look closely into the 540. The m62b44 engines with Nikasil cylinder bore linings are particularly vulnerable to fuel (gasoline or petrol) with a high sulfur content.

The sulfur in the fuel breaks up the Nikasil lining in the cylinders, thus causing a loss of compression. Once the lining is damaged, excessive bore wear of the soft, underlying alloy occurs very quickly. Some Nikasil engines have failed in as little as 30,000 miles. And the effect is cumulative, so if the engine has ever been run on high sulfur fuel, the damage may already have been done and premature bore wear may result.
i can't speak for other's, but my dad's 97 840ci has the m62b44, has roughly 110,xxx miles on the original engine and it has run flawlessly to date. not to mention he's also the 3rd owner/ bought it in 2007.
__________________
-Mike

Im sorry, but having an Aston Martin DB9 on the drive and not driving it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch. If youve got even half a scrotum its not going to happen.
-Jeremy Clarkson
Messe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #11
Messe46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York/Burlington
Posts: 674
My Ride: 325xi ZSP - ONRLS
Send a message via AIM to Messe46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBo330ci View Post
I was under the impression that e46 M3's have a CDV. Not true? Sorry to thread jack...slightly
i don't believe so (from what i've read on the forums).
__________________
-Mike

Im sorry, but having an Aston Martin DB9 on the drive and not driving it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch. If youve got even half a scrotum its not going to happen.
-Jeremy Clarkson
Messe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
Riverbmr3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: H-town
Posts: 4,015
My Ride: slow 3
go for 540i, its sick
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #13
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe46 View Post
you beat me to it!
but the cdv (clutch delay valve) is most probably the reason for jerky shifts. you don't even have to buy a "modified" valve in order to take that one out.

once the car is in the air, here's what you (or your mech) do:
1. remove front 2 (possibly 3) under-trays to access the valve.
2. remove valve.
3. take clutch line off of the "bracket" that holds it in place (there by extending the line enough to make up the distance the valve took up).
4. connect the 2 lines back together and tighten with a hose clamp (one of the ends should go over the other perfectly).
5. bleed the system.
6. shift smoothly!

it should take no more than 20min between lifting the car to driving it away. you could even do the "golf-tee" mod to your exhaust while you're under there (a little easier to reach/maneuver).

any bmw (except any ///m) will have a cdv. i hope that helps!
e46 M's still have CDV's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBo330ci View Post
I was under the impression that e46 M3's have a CDV. Not true? Sorry to thread jack...slightly
They do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe46 View Post
i can't speak for other's, but my dad's 97 840ci has the m62b44, has roughly 110,xxx miles on the original engine and it has run flawlessly to date. not to mention he's also the 3rd owner/ bought it in 2007.
Ok?
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #14
Dreamliner330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,854
My Ride: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe46 View Post
you beat me to it!
but the cdv (clutch delay valve) is most probably the reason for jerky shifts. you don't even have to buy a "modified" valve in order to take that one out.

once the car is in the air, here's what you (or your mech) do:
1. remove front 2 (possibly 3) under-trays to access the valve.
2. remove valve.
3. take clutch line off of the "bracket" that holds it in place (there by extending the line enough to make up the distance the valve took up).
4. connect the 2 lines back together and tighten with a hose clamp (one of the ends should go over the other perfectly).
5. bleed the system.
6. shift smoothly!

it should take no more than 20min between lifting the car to driving it away. you could even do the "golf-tee" mod to your exhaust while you're under there (a little easier to reach/maneuver).

any bmw (except any ///m) will have a cdv. i hope that helps!
It's not the cdv, its already gone :...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=623373
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #15
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
Maybe you just don't know how to drive?
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #16
Messe46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York/Burlington
Posts: 674
My Ride: 325xi ZSP - ONRLS
Send a message via AIM to Messe46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
It's not the cdv, its already gone :...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=623373
gotcha. when was the last time you changed the trans fluid?
__________________
-Mike

Im sorry, but having an Aston Martin DB9 on the drive and not driving it is a bit like having Keira Knightley in your bed and sleeping on the couch. If youve got even half a scrotum its not going to happen.
-Jeremy Clarkson
Messe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #17
Dreamliner330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,854
My Ride: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Maybe you just don't know how to drive?
says the rwd guy. the xi drivetrain has some funky-monkeyness to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe46 View Post
gotcha. when was the last time you changed the trans fluid?
Last year.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #18
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
says the rwd guy. the xi drivetrain has some funky-monkeyness to it.



Last year.
I've driven several. Feel the same.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #19
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,779
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Maybe you just don't know how to drive?
this....
Quote:
540i6sp or bust

and it must have the mtech kit on it as wel
and def this...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #20
tntempest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 48
My Ride: 330ci 2001
I had a 99 540i sport for several years and it was an amazing car. I test drove a 6 speed later thinking I would upgrade and it was the most unsporting manual trans car I have ever driven, there was no connection to the driver. The V8 is a very reliable motor and the automatic is one of the best they have used. I bought mine with 87k and sold it with 120k. Other than a mass air meter and window regulator I had no problems. One of the best looking bodies BMW ever had.

I would not give up on the E46 yet, but if you live in an area that you are in traffic all day anyway I would give the 540i a look.
tntempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use