E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
KtecR

My Ride: ZHP, S2K, 4Runner
Send a message via AIM to KtecR
BBS CH losing air - use sealant?

Two of my 19" BBS CH wheels (front right and back left) consistently lose air. The front right has been losing around 10psi per 3-4 weeks for the past 6 months and the back rear loses more like 20psi per 2 weeks for the past 2 months. It is becoming very aggravating to have to put air in every couple of weeks so I've now come to the conclusion that this has to be fixed for cheap or these wheels gotta go.

I've done the search and so far the differential is: Rim crack/bent, valve stem rubber leak, tire not seated, nail/penetration. The front right has a slight bend so that may the issue but its not a huge dent and the back seems straight. There are no nails in either tire so can't be that either. These tires have been on the wheels for about 2 years so I doubt it is the seating. I am down to valve stem rubber or the bends. Do you all think I can just use the can tire sealant to fix this problem? Are there any problems with trying this out?

2008 S2000: Chicane Silver/Red; 6 spd
2007 KLR 650
2004 330i ZHP: AW/Gray Leather; 6spd
1996 4Runner SR5: White/Tan
1980 CB400T

Sold:
2000 328Ci: TiAg/Black Leather; 5spd
2004 M3: TiAg/Black Leather; SMG
1995 318i: Arctic Gray/Gray Leather; 5spd
1986 325es: Red/Black Cloth; 5spd
KtecR is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
ChasCan

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Take some Fantastic or 409 cleaner & spray the wheel beads & valve stem. These 2 items will bubble real easy & now you will know where your leak is. If no bubbling at either of these 2 areas, then you might have a puncture in the tread area where the object of the puncture never stayed in the tire. Now you have to spray down the whole tire. Chas
PS: Try to avoid using tire sealant. It is really for emergencies only, as it will mess with your tire balance.

Last edited by ChasCan; 04-25-2010 at 05:13 PM.
ChasCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Fix a Flat is a nightmare for tire places. Do not use it. Take the car to a Tire Rack, have them remove the rims. Most people coat it with soap and look for cracks where the bubbles come out. Could be something you do not know about. I once had a rim that had a pin prick in it...caused a leak. Just have the best local tire shop dunk them and check for leaks. I would not imagine if these are new rims, the alloy has a leak....but can happen. Hope this helps. Should not cost you that much. Hopefully it is the tire and not the rim.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
KtecR

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcus View Post
Fix a Flat is a nightmare for tire places. Do not use it. Take the car to a Tire Rack, have them remove the rims. Most people coat it with soap and look for cracks where the bubbles come out. Could be something you do not know about. I once had a rim that had a pin prick in it...caused a leak. Just have the best local tire shop dunk them and check for leaks. I would not imagine if these are new rims, the alloy has a leak....but can happen. Hope this helps. Should not cost you that much. Hopefully it is the tire and not the rim.
Thats exactly what I am hoping - the tire not the rim. I'll find a place as soon as I get a chance. Luckily the weather is good and the motorcycles are running good right now (knock on wood)!

2007 KLR 650
1980 CB400T

Sold:
Old 04-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
There are cases that rims can have a pin hole leak or a slight bend to cause leaks. The more common cause would be from the valve stem rubber, hairline crack, or bent wheel. Water or dunk test would be the easiest to determine this.

-Charles@VMRWheels

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
KtecR

Thanks for all the help guys. It turned out the wheel that could hold the air for the least amount of time (rear left) just wasnt sealed right. The guy fixed it right away in less than 5 mins. The other (front right) that held air for about 3 weeks has a crack in it :-/. Its ok though, doesn't look bad and it might be able to be fixed. Until then I am running Type 44s

2007 KLR 650
1980 CB400T

Sold: