E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
vthokie

My Ride: 2002 235i
Check Engine Light

My check engine light came on a few days ago and came back with a P0128 code (something about the coolant temperature being too low). It did this once about 6 weeks ago, but the guy told me not to worry about it if the light didn't come back on soon. Should I be concerned about it? If so, how difficult would it be to fix myself instead of taking to someone and paying for them to do it?
vthokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
Scott87

My Ride: 325ci 2001
"P0128 Range/Performance Problem In Thermostat"

Your thermostat lets water in to the radiator once your engine reaches operating temp to stop it exceeding safe limits. If it fails your car would over heat very quickly doing potentially a lot of damage. Buy a new one and get it fitted, it won't cost much at all. There is also a lot of preventative maintenance you can do while you're there. This is the FAR cheaper option than it failing and causing damage to your engine. Plenty of DIY threads on how to overhaul the cooling system, read up on one and get the info you need.
Scott87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
froilanr

My Ride: '00 oriental 328i
does it take a long time to get your engine at normal operating temperature? you should try to get with somebody who has a Peake scan tool to know exactly what that code is. it could be a thermostat stuck open. the replacement is easy, but it also includes a refill of the coolant. I live in Virginia Beach. I have a Peake tool, but won't be able to help you on that. I don't have the adapter for the later model.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
vthokie

My Ride: 2002 235i
I know NOTHING about cars. It doesn't seem to be taking any longer than it ever has to heat up and the engine temperature gauge run right in the middle.
vthokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
Scott87

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ht=cooling+diy

That thread has instructions on how to overhaul pretty much the whole cooling system, excluding the thermostat! Sorry for the bad example. I think it's better to do the whole lot if you can rather than lots of jobs replacing one part as each fails.

If you are ever driving and see your temp get any higher than usual be prepared to pull over if it gets near the 'red zone'. It will take a while for it to cool even with the bonnet open leaving you in a PITA situation. This is a sooner rather than later job.

Feel free to poke holes in my ideas constructively, i know i'm not 'all knowing' about cars but this is my understanding of the situation.

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
Scott87

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermostat

Scroll down to "Wax Pellet" heading and that will explain the function of a thermostat.

Tags
coolant, engine, p0128