E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
Lith

My Ride: '03 Gray 330i
Help me identify what is wrong

HI,

Well I started to have some kind of noise in my car. Whenever I start moving from a stop I hear this whiny noise and I don't know it comes from. My dad thinks that it might the the transmission, is it possible, maybe I just need to put some more transmission fluid in and ill be good.

Thanks,

~Lith
Lith is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
Lith

bump
Old 04-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Can you be more specific? What does the noise sound like? Metal clunking, marbles in a can, etc.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
rowdy lee

My Ride: 2000 323ci
yes!

Only a psychic could say from your description, and the last one here was banned for incompetance... and they didn't see it coming.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
Lith

Its not a metal clunking, it sounds like something is whining in the car. I will try to record it and see if I can hear the sound on it. It started happening even when im parked and revving alittle.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
BMWespresso

My Ride: 2005 325CI
fan blower, mine does too, turn off the fan and the noise will go away, is a "G" sensor even if i take a hard turn I hear it sounds like a bird kind of
or this
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=blower+noise
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=418987

Last edited by BMWespresso; 04-28-2010 at 03:29 PM.
BMWespresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
+1 on fan blower.

But, if turning off fan doesn't do it, have someone stand outside car when it whines...to 'maybe' isolate source of sound.

If it's right in front of you in console center...blower fan...turn off or up when annoying...search for it...many suggested mediation methods...mine seems to work pretty well...

If outside whining...isolate wheel.

You feel other things...what do you have on in car?

Might also just be SAP and maybe hose from SAP to valve failing...you're hearing the fan blow into engine...comes on for two mins. when starting...not when car is warmed up.

Other things whine...but if you think it's beneath you, then maybe explore your Dad's thoughts...doesn't take much to diy check trans. levels...and a good idea to change...properly...every 50-75K.

Anyway, pay attention to it. BTW, if you think from engine bay, get a hose 4' long and stick one end in ear, other end around engine (carefully!) to listen for things...other common whining things are belts (tensioner pulley going south?), bearings whine, I don't know enough about auto trans to know if they'd whine, but suspect they have bearings and the like that could...but don't think you're into a new trans yet...so you needn't freak about that...I don't know about them at all!

Anyway, more info, maybe better guesses.

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
Lith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWespresso View Post
fan blower, mine does too, turn off the fan and the noise will go away, is a "G" sensor even if i take a hard turn I hear it sounds like a bird kind of
or this
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=blower+noise
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=418987
thanks I think you are right. I guess ill ave to change it some day...
Old 04-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
Lith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
+1 on fan blower.

But, if turning off fan doesn't do it, have someone stand outside car when it whines...to 'maybe' isolate source of sound.

If it's right in front of you in console center...blower fan...turn off or up when annoying...search for it...many suggested mediation methods...mine seems to work pretty well...

If outside whining...isolate wheel.

You feel other things...what do you have on in car?

Might also just be SAP and maybe hose from SAP to valve failing...you're hearing the fan blow into engine...comes on for two mins. when starting...not when car is warmed up.

Other things whine...but if you think it's beneath you, then maybe explore your Dad's thoughts...doesn't take much to diy check trans. levels...and a good idea to change...properly...every 50-75K.

Anyway, pay attention to it. BTW, if you think from engine bay, get a hose 4' long and stick one end in ear, other end around engine (carefully!) to listen for things...other common whining things are belts (tensioner pulley going south?), bearings whine, I don't know enough about auto trans to know if they'd whine, but suspect they have bearings and the like that could...but don't think you're into a new trans yet...so you needn't freak about that...I don't know about them at all!

Anyway, more info, maybe better guesses.

Doug

Thanks, Ill make sure that I check the things u listed. Thanks

EDIT: and guys its not the cricket sound or w.e that it makes. Its something else and I think it comes from the back.

Last edited by Lith; 04-28-2010 at 05:38 PM.