E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
sidnum

My Ride: '01 3.25i Sport Pkg
DSC turning itself off

Here's the problem. My dsc turns itself off after about a minute or so after startup. Along with that, my brake light is on and red. However, I know it works because if I start my car and pull out quickly, enough to spin my tires, it activates. Meaning, it works as normal. But like I said, after a minute or two, it turns itself off. Probably start replacing speed sensors.

Here's a quck list of my problems and things I've done:
-DSC is yellow
-Brake light is red
-ABS works perfectly
-cleaned all wheel speed sensors
-checked brake sensors
-had a bad voltage regulator on my alternator that is now new
-battery is fine, 2 years old, runs at 13.6

With that said, I know that doesn't mean that one of the speed sensors may not be bad. I'm thinking of just replacing the rear first and if that doesn't fix it, then just replace the front pair.

Anyway, I'd like some more input or any or your experiences with an issue like this. Thanks a lot.
sidnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
woopaul5

My Ride: 2005 M3
Send a message via AIM to woopaul5
Check for codes. I have almost the same problem except my ABS light is yellow. Hopefully it's just a speed sensor like mine is. A lot cheaper than a DSC or ABS module
woopaul5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
sidnum

Do you know what the code will read for a speed sensor? Did you go to Auto Zone or something?
Old 03-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
woopaul5

My Ride: 2005 M3
Send a message via AIM to woopaul5
It's been awhile so I dont remember the specific code. I do know that Autozone can find you a generic one. I had to take mine to a dealer to find out what speed sensor was broke.
woopaul5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
ninethree

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to ninethree
i have the same problem! i still haven't figured it out yet. please update this when you find the resolution. I'm thinking its either your alignment needs to be done or you're low on brake fluid that's what i've accumulated from previous threads. mine is full so its not the issue.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
people on here amaze me, you have abs lights on, this means you have codes stored. Get the damn car scanned for codes and figure out what it is, don't just throw parts at it. It could be numerous things. One of the simple things it could be is low brake fluid, but get the car SCANNED.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
sidnum

Um, 330, as much as I appreciate your information, you don't have to be a dick about it. We're all on here to help each other through feedback. Not make everybody feel like a ****in idiot. Not everybody is a grand master bmw mechanic like yourself.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
rares

My Ride: 02 S54
Send a message via AIM to rares Send a message via Yahoo to rares Send a message via Skype™ to rares
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidnum View Post
Um, 330, as much as I appreciate your information, you don't have to be a dick about it. We're all on here to help each other through feedback. Not make everybody feel like a ****in idiot. Not everybody is a grand master bmw mechanic like yourself.

i agree
Old 03-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #9
deniskpd

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
I hadthe same issue once I washed my car "underneath" not thinking...the car had only 39k on it and it's a 330Ci, e46. What ended up happening is that the ABS module got wet (the connector), and all I had to do was to take the connector and clean it with electrical cleaner. My mechanic did this and all was well. I was surprised to learn that the ABS module was like $1000.

My codes gave me something about speed sensors and/or ABS module, but like I said, this is what ended up being the problem. So, first thing, unplug the module and clean the connector and the module end with an electronic cleaner that you can buy somewhere.
deniskpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
sidnum

Update:

As of this morning, my issue is fixed. Turns out even though my brake fluid was where it should have been, it was actually just low enough to trip the float sensor. Which actually meant it was too low. on me by the way. So basically if your brake fluid level is too low, it'll turn off your dsc.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:51 AM   #11
ninethree

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to ninethree
Update:

Sidnum is correct. There is a sensor in the brake reservoir which is the cap. If the red brake light comes on it is due to either low brake fluid or the faulty sensor. My sensor turned out to be faulty i replaced it with a used sensor.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:02 AM   #12
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
update, awhile back I had a faulty Yaw rotation sensor and steering angle sensor that destroyed my DSC system (the brakes would randomly stab at the rotors as if DSC was kicking in and then DSC would turn off) so I would just turn off DSC when I first got in the car. Dealer quoted me $1700 for the fix. Sensors alone were over a $1000 for the two. I said no way, and decided to try to fix it myself but never got around to putting the 2 sensors in....2 months later DSC was working fine and has been for over 8 months now. I think there was hiccup in the ECU or something or maybe a bad connection. Anyway the two warning signs I got were yellow brake light and yellow DSC light (hazard) this is for anyone else with symptons...get the codes read from the get go, it make things so much easier to diagnose
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:18 AM   #13
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninethree View Post
Update:

Sidnum is correct. There is a sensor in the brake reservoir which is the cap. If the red brake light comes on it is due to either low brake fluid or the faulty sensor. My sensor turned out to be faulty i replaced it with a used sensor.
wrong, if the red brake light comes on, its because a code is stored and its not always because of the brake fluid level/sensor.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...648&highlight=
Old 04-30-2010, 08:41 AM   #14
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninethree View Post
Update:

I know E39's have a sensor in the cap, but my e46 definitely doesn't have a sensor in the cap- i think its on the bottom.
Kubica is online now   Reply With Quote