E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
barfoot1

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Help finding OEM Bluetooth solution for 2002 325xi please

So first I will apologize for posting, yet another, thread related to Bluetooth retrofits, but I am having a great deal of trouble trying to find out what will work on my car. I can assure you I've spent at least 2 hours reading thread after thread related to Bluetooth, but haven't been able to find the proper information.

I want to install Bluetooth capability in my 325xi using the factory modules. I'm not interested in any of the other kits available. I would like to plug and play. So my real question is, what BMW OEM Bluetooth module will work on my car?

Here are the details of my car:
2002 325xi E46
Build date: 03/2002
Production code: EU33
I do not have a Bluetooth antenna preinstalled
I do not have a microphone preinstalled
I do not have any module installed in my trunk
I do have the "pre-wired for BMW cellular phone" tag in my trunk
I do have steering wheel controls
I do have wire looms in my trunk

Also, I don't care about or currently have installed BMW assist. Phone book scrolling is not a need nor is voice dialing, I don't mind dialing from my phone.

I did find this module on ebay, will this work in my car?

Thanks in advance,
John
barfoot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Any iBUS TCU or ULF should work. That is to say, it should plug in and power up. A MOST (optical) (E60, E61, 1 series, current X5) will not work.

I say should, my 2004 TCU (GSM) is proving to be a real pic to pair with any phone. But most CDMA (USA) users report no problems. See this post for more information than you will ever need.

http://www.xoutpost.com/electronics/...i-bus-car.html
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
Tate325xi

My Ride: 325xi & CLK55 AMG
find delmarco's DIY bluetooth. it will use your steering wheel controls and you can run an included mic up to the factory spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
sometimes i'm into it and my one hand gets tired, i try switching, but then it's like someone with lou gehrig's trying to peel a carrot.
Tate325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:12 AM   #4
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
My car has the same prodcution date as yours, but at least you have the phone prewire. I don't and I'd have to retrofit the prewire first if I even wanted to start looking at OEM bluetooth :-(

The part number of the the BT TCU you linked to appears to be the oldest version of the TCU:

TELEMATICS CONTROL UNIT CDMA Sep-04 Feb-05 84116946993 1st release of integrated BT/Assist TCU (personally confirmed BT
functionality). No voice input but can be added by separate SES voice module.
Came with my 2005 M3. Reported trouble with some phones such as AT&T
Tilt see thread: http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/683761
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:41 AM   #5
Cliff3

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by barfoot1 View Post
So first I will apologize for posting, yet another, thread related to Bluetooth retrofits, but I am having a great deal of trouble trying to find out what will work on my car. I can assure you I've spent at least 2 hours reading thread after thread related to Bluetooth, but haven't been able to find the proper information.

I want to install Bluetooth capability in my 325xi using the factory modules. I'm not interested in any of the other kits available. I would like to plug and play. So my real question is, what BMW OEM Bluetooth module will work on my car?

Here are the details of my car:
2002 325xi E46
Build date: 03/2002
Production code: EU33
I do not have a Bluetooth antenna preinstalled
I do not have a microphone preinstalled
I do not have any module installed in my trunk
I do have the "pre-wired for BMW cellular phone" tag in my trunk
I do have steering wheel controls
I do have wire looms in my trunk

Also, I don't care about or currently have installed BMW assist. Phone book scrolling is not a need nor is voice dialing, I don't mind dialing from my phone.

I did find this module on ebay, will this work in my car?

Thanks in advance,
John

Take a look at bimmernav.com for a discussion of how to retrofit bluetooth into your 3 series, and they also sell new OEM bluetooth kits. I just installed a double-DIN headunit in my 2002 330Ci, so I will be selling my ULF and related items as a kit as soon as I take photos. FWIW, these are the part numbers - my ULF dates from 6/04:

ULF 84216945387
Pairing button 84130302715
Enhanced microphone 84316938762
SES Jumper 61126911421
Mounting tray 84136924553
Bluetooth antenna 84506928461
Bluetooth antenna mounting bracket 84136912160

(to anyone hunting for a pairing button, I won't be selling the now unavailable pairing button separately from the rest of these items)

Last edited by Cliff3; 04-29-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Cliff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
HighPod

My Ride: '00 white 323ci
this here, simple and cheap--->http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...&highlight=diy
Old 04-30-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
jeffb325

My Ride: 325ci
as noted above http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...&highlight=diy

works like oem, WAY less money, WAY easier to install.

I just installed the dynavin and took this exact setup out of my car, I will be selling it in the classified section when I get around to it. Totaly plug and play, factory buttons, completely hideaway, works just like oem. It isnt hacked up, its even all plugged together and ready to plug and play.
jeffb325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
barfoot1

Alright, so I decided to be adventurous and purchased the TCU unit (p/n: 84116946993) off ebay along with all the other stuff I would need (ie: mic, bt antenna, ses jumper, etc).

Got everything wired in. When I turn the ignition on, the stereo seems to work normally. When I press the R/T button on the steering wheel, the radio screen flashes "PHONE BOOK EMPTY!". When I press the voice command button on the steering wheel, the radio screen displays "1". The same things happen whether the SES jumper is plugged in or not. Just for the heck of it, I tried installing the pairing button. Nothing happens when I press it.

I'm thinking about creating the I-BUS probe and seeing what I can figure out, but before that, does anyone have any ideas whats going on?

It also could just be that this TCU unit is incompatible with my vehicle.

Any help is appreciated!
-John
Old 05-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #9
barfoot1

I also should add...
When referencing this DIY, pins 7 & 8 are already missing from my wire connector.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
redrum0486

My Ride: 2011 328i xDrive
Is BT turned to On, on your phone?

If you're BT system is working properly, it should read SEARCHING... on the display until it finds your phone/

| 2011 328i xDrive | Titanium Silver [B]|
Past: | 2004 330xi | Titanium Silver
redrum0486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
barfoot1

Yes, bluetooth is on and searching on my cellphone. (My cellphone sees my laptop that also has bluetooth active.) The head unit does not display "SEARCHING" though. I think tonight or tomorrow I am going to build the circuit to query the iBus with the Navcoder software.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #12
Arty

If you are sure you bought a TCU and not a ULF, Hold down the sneezing man, turn on the ignition, release the sneezing man, the display should change to ACTIVATE PHONE, then begin your pairing search on the phone.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #13
barfoot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
If you are sure you bought a TCU and not a ULF, Hold down the sneezing man, turn on the ignition, release the sneezing man, the display should change to ACTIVATE PHONE, then begin your pairing search on the phone.
Yes, it is a TCU. I tried this procedure and nothing happen.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:45 PM   #14
mitfa911

My Ride: 2001 330 CIc
Early tcu's were only for BMW Assist even if it shows the bluetooth emblem on the sticker. I can tell you from experience that I bought a tcu of ebay dated April 2004. I was also getting the no phone book message on the radio display and it would not pair with my Iphone. I ended up using it as a core when I bought the latest edition from BMW. I retrofited factory BMW bluetooth in my 2001 vert. With the latest tcu you don't need a pairing button. The phone pairs itself with the car as soon as you turn on the ignition. If you need any help let me know and I can get you the part number of my tcu.

Last edited by mitfa911; 05-09-2010 at 11:48 PM.
mitfa911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #15
barfoot1

So over the weekend I was able to build the iBus probe circuit and use Navcoder to query the system. Navcoder seemed to work pretty well, the program was able to identify all the components in my car and also was able to pull data from the TCU. It identified the TCU as "BMW Everest IBUS US (CDMA)". One thing I found peculiar was the TCU had "enable bluetooth" unchecked. So I checked "enable bluetooth" and re-coded the TCU. From what I can tell, that seemed to take, when I re-read the TCU, it showed "enable bluetooth" checked. The TCU still does not seem to be broadcasting a bluetooth signal though. I also tried to click the "BT Pairing" button, but it gave me an error.

That was as far as I was able to get though. I will probably play around with it later in the week when I have more time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitfa911 View Post
Early tcu's were only for BMW Assist even if it shows the bluetooth emblem on the sticker.
That would explain a few things, but I wonder why they would put the bluetooth logo on the box and have a passkey coded if the unit didn't actually support bluetooth.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #16
mitfa911

Quote:
So over the weekend I was able to build the iBus probe circuit and use Navcoder to query the system. Navcoder seemed to work pretty well, the program was able to identify all the components in my car and also was able to pull data from the TCU. It identified the TCU as "BMW Everest IBUS US (CDMA)". One thing I found peculiar was the TCU had "enable bluetooth" unchecked. So I checked "enable bluetooth" and re-coded the TCU. From what I can tell, that seemed to take, when I re-read the TCU, it showed "enable bluetooth" checked. The TCU still does not seem to be broadcasting a bluetooth signal though. I also tried to click the "BT Pairing" button, but it gave me an error.

That was as far as I was able to get though. I will probably play around with it later in the week when I have more time.

That would explain a few things, but I wonder why they would put the bluetooth logo on the box and have a passkey coded if the unit didn't actually support bluetooth.
It was a manufacturing error from BMW. You will be able to find info if you Google. I don't really remember right now where i got this info from.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:12 AM   #17
barfoot1

Quote:
It was a manufacturing error from BMW. You will be able to find info if you Google. I don't really remember right now where i got this info from.
Which part was the manufacturing error? Printing bluetooth on the label? Disabling bluetooth from the factory?

If you happen to find more info, please post.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:32 AM   #18
Arty

If you got an error, email the author. He is always helpfull and dedicated to improving Navcoder if a little citrus in his responses. Make sure you are running the latest version, and possibly the latest beta before submitting your mail, as that is likley the first instruction you will receive.

After enabling bluetooth, you may need to do a battery off reset to reboot the TCU, which then you must go throuth the same pairing process within the first 2 minutes of turning on the ignition.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #19
mitfa911

Quote:
Which part was the manufacturing error? Printing bluetooth on the label? Disabling bluetooth from the factory?

If you happen to find more info, please post.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc...p/t-78950.html

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B841304g.htm

Check these two links for more info. Like I said before if you search there is a lot of info on this matter.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #20
barfoot1

Quote:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc...p/t-78950.html

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B841304g.htm

Check these two links for more info. Like I said before if you search there is a lot of info on this matter.
That's totally lame. But according to this post, that person at least got the 6993 TCU to enter pairing mode. I still haven't gotten a chance to trouble shoot more since I've been so busy lately though.