E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #41
Tate325xi

My Ride: 325xi & CLK55 AMG
every once in a while. when i need a little pick me up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
sometimes i'm into it and my one hand gets tired, i try switching, but then it's like someone with lou gehrig's trying to peel a carrot.
Tate325xi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:29 PM   #42
eco10530

My Ride: 2002 Silver 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330xiBoarder View Post
im taking notes...when you guys who redline your cars often,go to sell your cars...i will reference this thread. Wanna be sure that whoever is thinking about buying the car knows how the ride was treated .I think i have only redlined my car once by accident by the way. I baby my ride.
U a freakin' BMW NARC?

2002 330ci
Titanium Silver
Mods: LED Tail lights, Khoalty LED Angel Eyes,
Keyhole Delete, DICE Silverline PRO iPhone Integration
eco10530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:32 PM   #43
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
I would not recommend a redline for any car you want to keep in the long term. Just my 2 cents. At that point in the power band, your BMW is out of steam and the.....whatever you were playing with won. I would say save your money for an oil change though on a regular basis.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:36 PM   #44
335iTah

My Ride: 335i>330i
Quote:
im taking notes...when you guys who redline your cars often,go to sell your cars...i will reference this thread. Wanna be sure that whoever is thinking about buying the car knows how the ride was treated .I think i have only redlined my car once by accident by the way. I baby my ride.
Wow? Snitch away my dude lol. If redlining was so bad an AT wouldn't be able to do it. So its obviously not gonna destroy the car if the engine is warmed up and has proper oil changes. E46's like to be revved

Edit: carcus, but the earlier you shift the lower the rpm will be in the next gear... A redline could be the difference in a win and a loss :-p

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFF112 View Post
Calm down, gently remove your tampon and then sit back relax and enjoy a nice glass of 'mind your own fuccing business'.

Last edited by 335iTah; 04-28-2010 at 11:41 PM.
335iTah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:39 PM   #45
Junaid

My Ride: .
Lol look at the prices of E46 now a days, complain away they aren't $50,000 cars, more like $6-20g's
Junaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:57 PM   #46
IntegGeezer2Bimmer

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
you have to understand the people that jump from car to car often have NO MONEY

they are usually making poor financial decisions and rolling over debt.

No offense to some members on the group but there are dudes making less than $35K driving in fairly new cars - lol like leasing a $40k car - wtf - the car is worth more than what you make in a year!

OP just be sensible - good luck!
IntegGeezer2Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #47
I8URAMG

My Ride: BMW 325i
I redline at least twice a day. These cars are ment to be driven hard. Just picture we had a autobahn here and we could go 140mph with the rpms at 6000 in 5th gear lol Me personaly it cleans out all the carbon in the motor. Just keep your oil changed and rev away
Old 04-29-2010, 12:03 AM   #48
lllSupra

My Ride: E46 330i
atleast once between each destination hehe
lllSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:10 AM   #49
JustMadeTheCut

My Ride: bmw-yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by s8ballin View Post
Lol look at the prices of E46 now a days, complain away they aren't $50,000 cars, more like $6-20g's
so why are you ballin then?

ne-ways im assuming most of you dont actually hit the rev-limiter cuz youre all retarded if you do... i mean, i do go up to 6000 rpms often but i dont think ive ever checked against the rev limiter. theres not much to be had up in those revs anyways. mine is slow, and like most bmw enthusiasts, i love my car in the turns. drag racing is for vin diesel.
JustMadeTheCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:25 AM   #50
Junaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMadeTheCut View Post
so why are you ballin then?

ne-ways im assuming most of you dont actually hit the rev-limiter cuz youre all retarded if you do... i mean, i do go up to 6000 rpms often but i dont think ive ever checked against the rev limiter. theres not much to be had up in those revs anyways. mine is slow, and like most bmw enthusiasts, i love my car in the turns. drag racing is for vin diesel.
im far from ballin, $146 in my bank account and $20 in my pocket.
Junaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:38 AM   #51
Azban

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
I feel bad for your M3.
Azban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:08 AM   #52
Mr.323ci

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azban View Post
I feel bad for your M3.
right? what a waste of an M3! haha you can baby your car and still waken her up. just be smart with how you drive. i bet i could keep up with you in the hills in my 323 against your M3 haha jk

Mods:
Smoked Corners. Smoked Side Markers. Smoked EEs. 6k Orion V2 AEs. Refinished Wheels. 25% Tint.

Soon To Come:
MTech II Front Bumper W/ Molded Aqray Lip. Vinyl Trim. Color Matched Kidney Grills. Raceland Coilovers. CSL Trunk. Some Rear Bumper Plus Straight Pipe Quad Exhaust. M3 Sideskirts. Carbon Emblems. UUC Sway Bars.
Mr.323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:30 AM   #53
AlexTe46

My Ride: 2001>325i>sedan
i pinklined it once does that count
Old 04-29-2010, 01:43 AM   #54
sick.boy1986

My Ride: ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azban View Post
I feel bad for your M3.
+1. Redline a couple times each week. The M3 is made for higher engine speeds, it's made to be raced. That's why it has an oil cooler and semi-dry sump oil system, among many other things. I just found an interesting .pdf, if anyone is interested. 330ixboarder, you should definitely take a look at the entire engine section, although it's rather lengthy I think you'll find it very informative.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E46 M3 press release.pdf (145.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 04-29-2010, 02:06 AM   #55
RhFactorUs

My Ride: 330i
Lots.
RhFactorUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:15 AM   #56
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
Redlining means shifting at redline or revving the car in idle or something and let it bounce off the limiter?
I usually find a way on the highway to fully load the engine and redline everyshift and clean the gunk with some pressure, and enjoy one hell of a ride. It's a car, it's not the greatest asset. Why not enjoy your purchase? People don't buy beds and sleep in one small corner to reduce the wear and tear.

Last edited by //TRD power; 04-29-2010 at 02:21 AM.
//TRD power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:17 AM   #57
Len013091

My Ride: S52 E30, 330i
Send a message via AIM to Len013091
In a normal day, I'll smash the hard cut (7k) about 10-15 times once the car is warmed up. Car has about 305k miles on it (estimated) and I've been driving it like this since I got it a year and a half ago. Car still runs great, oil changes every 3k... This would be my 1990 325i btw. I straight up abuse the thing and it keeps taking it. Granted, the E46 doesn't get this kind of workout, but it does get driven hard. If you think a car can't handle hitting the red line a few times a day, then you need to read up on how engines are designed.
Len013091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:20 AM   #58
ptrcd003

Quote:
I hope you're joking. And everyone else who says they "baby" their ride by never pushing the engine, are you serious? You do more harm to the engine by always keeping the rpms down all the time. I'm not saying you should speed, but why buy a BMW if you're gonna drive it like a Corolla?
ptrcd003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:24 AM   #59
318MSPORT03

My Ride: BMW 318CI MSPORT
Send a message via MSN to 318MSPORT03
couple of times a week thats what bmw's are for. never red line it thought just change gear befor touching it

but apparently you are meant to chage gear a peak torque of yur car to get most power out of it the rpms from the peak torque dont make you go any fasterive been told.
318MSPORT03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:30 AM   #60
rEid46_323

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by three2slick View Post
Redlining means shifting at redline or revving the car in idle or something and let it bounce off the limiter?
I usually find a way on the highway to fully load the engine and redline everyshift and clean the gunk with some pressure, and enjoy one hell of a ride. It's a car, it's not the greatest asset. Why not enjoy your purchase? People don't buy beds and fvck in one small corner to reduce the wear and tear.
fixed!!!!

i hit 6k alot... maybe hit the rev limiter once in a year, on accident.

btw everyone that posted has a manual.... right??
as far as i know the 5 speed auto wont actually redline. (from experience in a 330 with m sport package)

rEid46_323 is offline   Reply With Quote