E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
fshah

My Ride: 2003 Bmw 325ci
Car not starting Any help please.

At first I thought it was an issue with the battery but a new battery didnt fix the problem either. I turn the key and everything works fine, radio, all lighting, etc. But when I turn the ignition nothing happens, not a crank, a studder, or anything. The display and gauges are fine but the car just wont start. If you know anything about this, any advice would be appreciated, Thanks!!
fshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
your new battery isn't pulling enough volts. the car will not let even attempt to turn over if your not pulling enough volts. due to the voltage regulator if i recall correctly. GL
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
fshah

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
your new battery isn't pulling enough volts. the car will not let even attempt to turn over if your not pulling enough volts. due to the voltage regulator if i recall correctly. GL
Thanks but Im pretty sure the battery is the right voltage and I left it connected for more than 20 mins but still nada.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
WFRFitness

My Ride: 2000 328CI E46
bad news if it is what happened to my car... http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...454&highlight=
WFRFitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:06 PM   #5
fshah

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFRFitness View Post
bad news if it is what happened to my car... http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...454&highlight=
Wow i hope not that sounds really terrible. Why was the key the problem and what is the EWS?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:48 PM   #6
WFRFitness

EWS is the anti-theft system. Here is a document describing the history EWS Page 3.3 19.pdf page 19 describes our EWS III 3.3 The key had to be replaced because they could not get the old key to work with the new EWS. The worst part is it's a dealer only fix. BMW will not sell the EWS modules to indi repair shops because of security issues. so it's $120 per hour all the way.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:01 AM   #7
fshah

The dealer only part is ridiculous. Thanks for the info makes more sense now. I will get it checked out but praying that the EWS is not the problem here.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #8
wilcax

My Ride: 04 Coupe
my car just did this to me today! i went into the store for my morning drink and when i came back to my car, surprise!!! no start. at first i thought my car was playing an april fools joke on me, but then after 20 min. i knew it wasn't going to start... the car is now sitting here at my house awaiting repair...

19in. CSL's-H&R race-CSL carbon fiber trunk
wilcax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #9
fshah

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcax View Post
my car just did this to me today! i went into the store for my morning drink and when i came back to my car, surprise!!! no start. at first i thought my car was playing an april fools joke on me, but then after 20 min. i knew it wasn't going to start... the car is now sitting here at my house awaiting repair...
I know!! my car has been in my driveway for the last 5 days!! Will be taking it to my mechanic down the street to get it checked out Tommorow. Does your car give a crank noise when you turn the key all the way? For me, its just silence, nothing at all but all electricity is normal. One time I tried jumping it but nothing happened for 2 hours, then finally we pushed my car about 20 feet and after it came to a full stop I turned the key and it randomnly turned on. Wierd stuff man I hate it!!!
Old 04-03-2010, 12:15 AM   #10
wuj15

My Ride: 325I
hi guys,

i have the same problem too.

my car will start but then it will stall right away, like 2 sec after.
So i tried to feather with the throttle to keep it running, but it seems like the car won't want to stay on.

Battery is working, all lights are on. i can hear the clicking sound in position 2.

Any thoughts??? thanks
wuj15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
WFRFitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuj15 View Post
hi guys,

i have the same problem too.

my car will start but then it will stall right away, like 2 sec after.
So i tried to feather with the throttle to keep it running, but it seems like the car won't want to stay on.

Battery is working, all lights are on. i can hear the clicking sound in position 2.

Any thoughts??? thanks
This is got to be fuel related search for other posts on this. Replace fuel filter would be my 1st suggestion. Can be purchased at your local NAPA or from one of the on site sponsors. search site for a DIY it's a 20 minute job all you need is a flat head screwdriver and an 8mm.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #12
wuj15

i just replaced my fuel filter a week ago. Do u guys think it's fuel pump failing?

Or other electrical problem. My car didn't throw any code from the code readers.

any help ? thanks
Old 04-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #13
ChasCan

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshah View Post
At first I thought it was an issue with the battery but a new battery didnt fix the problem either. I turn the key and everything works fine, radio, all lighting, etc. But when I turn the ignition nothing happens, not a crank, a studder, or anything. The display and gauges are fine but the car just wont start. If you know anything about this, any advice would be appreciated, Thanks!!
Is your car a manual transmission. If so, then the clutch safety switch may be the cause of your no start concern. Chas.
ChasCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #14
wuj15

my car is steptronic auto.

after reading and searching, i compile a list of potential causes of this issues

fuel pressure regulator
fuel pump
Idle air control valve
fuel cut off switch
camshaft position sensors
dirty maf, injectors, spark plugs
Fuel filter clogging
air vacuum leak
vanos control solenoid
CAM sensors
ICV
DISA valve
Air intake leak at the elbow to the ICV.
CCV

How long will it take a mechanic to check them all?
Any suggestions. Any expert could give me some thoughts, or at least narrow the list down for me. Thanks
Old 04-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #15
330I6SPD

My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
Check the main harness fuse.
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #16
fshah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasCan View Post
Is your car a manual transmission. If so, then the clutch safety switch may be the cause of your no start concern. Chas.
Thanks for the responses guys but I found out that the problem was caused by a bad starter. So if you have similiar symptoms it could very well be a starter issue.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #17
silverbmwfirst

My Ride: 2002 AA HKS 325ci
I had the same problem before ...ei ei ei..after 2 days of playing with it I finally found a fuse...30 amp I believe , that looked fine but separated inside...I made a quick rig to get it to my indy shop and we tryed everything and then after we figured it was the ews then we did the fuse check one more time and found the fuse..whew..I have a 2002 325 ci step...that was my problem and fix
silverbmwfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #18
wilcax

My Ride: 04 Coupe
well i gave in and took it to the stealer to have it diagnosed. BAD STARTER. they want 900+ to replace it, i'm having it towed back to my house and replacing it myself tomorrow. its not too common of a problem, and ive never had a starter give out on me with no warning before.

here are the symptoms:

All lights on cluster light up, radio works, windows work, car locks and unlocks with key, key turns ignition fine... no noise or clicks in position three (crank) everything else is normal. no start, the worst thing is i have an auto so there is no way to push start it to make sure about bad starter. there was also no warning of a failing starter, it just decided it would not start after running into the store for five minutes.

19in. CSL's-H&R race-CSL carbon fiber trunk
wilcax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #19
fshah

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcax View Post
well i gave in and took it to the stealer to have it diagnosed. BAD STARTER. they want 900+ to replace it, i'm having it towed back to my house and replacing it myself tomorrow. its not too common of a problem, and ive never had a starter give out on me with no warning before.

here are the symptoms:

All lights on cluster light up, radio works, windows work, car locks and unlocks with key, key turns ignition fine... no noise or clicks in position three (crank) everything else is normal. no start, the worst thing is i have an auto so there is no way to push start it to make sure about bad starter. there was also no warning of a failing starter, it just decided it would not start after running into the store for five minutes.
Thats exactly what happened to me. I didnt really have any warning of my starter going out on me but one day after work it just gave out. All of a sudden my starter was dead Its 2-3 hour labor to get it replaced, I didnt bother just gave it to my mechanic.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #20
wuj15

HELP !!!!

i just replaced my fuel pump.. and NO LUCK ..

Car start for a few sec then stall after. Eventually it won't even start afterwhile.

Check the fuse #54 and replaced it too. Got two code

- P0123 (Throttle Circuit High Voltage)
- MAP cooling

Is there another relay or smth i can check?

please help guys, my car is in the shop for almost a week now. It's my only ride.