E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
metelc

My Ride: 2003 325i
Does anyone have a rear window regulator DIY?

I've found some great DIYs for front window regulator, but none for the rear. Can anyone help? Is it very similar to the front window regulator DIY? Will the zip tie fix work for the rear, too? Also, does anyone know the screw locations to remove the rear passenger door panel? Sorry about all the questions, but I appreciate the help.

Thanks
Chris
Orlando, FL
metelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:03 PM   #2
mikel325xi

My Ride: 2001 325xi
REAR DIY CAN'T FIND PICS EITHER 2001 325xi

I'm having the same problem finding a PIC DIY too....anyone know if mine can be fixed or do I need a new regulator...2001 325xi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0758.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	227165   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0756.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	227166   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0754.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	227167   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0753.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	227168  

mikel325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:12 PM   #3
grafiksguy

My Ride: 2010 328xi
Rear's are easier, just use the front one to start...

The DIY here for the front http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=356847

is great. The rears are actually much easier since there's no airbag to deal with and there's only the single rail rather than the two on the front. I just did mine using that one and it's fine. Biggest hassle is the removal of the vapor barrier. I found using a single edged razor blade to cut through the middle of the butyl goo that they glue it with worked well. When you replace it, heat it with a hair dryer to soften things up and it'll go back fine.

As to the zip-tie fix, I had already purchased a replacement regulator and my broken one was a mess with the cable all wound up in a tangle. But if I remember correctly, and you can see from the pix in the above, it seems to me that the configuration of the rear sliding unit that contains the dreaded "plastic clip" that is most often the culprit, doesn't have the holes necessary to use the zip tie fix like on the front. So, if you want to be prepared, I'd get the regulator from a dealer (if you can) then do the job. If you can fix it without using the new part, just return it. But, if as I did, you need it, you'll be prepared.

Finally it's simple job, just a bit tedious. Don't be intimidated and be sure to take your time with the vapor barrier and be carful replacing the door interior making sure you align the plastic clips. They break easily. Good luck.

Last edited by grafiksguy; 05-15-2007 at 10:14 PM.
grafiksguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
GBinSB

My Ride: 2001 325Ti
I just found this link on the web. http://www.bmwgm5.com/Rear_Window_Regulator.htm
This looks like what I just went through. The regulator motor on my car is fine, its just the plastic retaining clip that broke on the track. I am going to buy a new track from http://www.bmwgm5.com/Rear_Window_Regulator.htm and try to fix it this way. I'll let you all know how it goes...
GBinSB is offline   Reply With Quote